Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wii external HDD recommendations

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
    Decided to go for a cheaper drive with more space.

Seagate Expansion Portable (500GB)

gbatemp wiki list confirms it as working.

Thanks for all suggestions.
    You know, I used the same wiki while I was in the store shopping for my drive, and I totally forgot about that.

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,269 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    You know, I used the same wiki while I was in the store shopping for my drive, and I totally forgot about that.
    I was very tempted to go for the WD that you suggested. I know the quality is supposed to be better, but for the extra space and lower cost, I've decided to take a chance on the Seagate.

Thanks
    EP Points

Considering I do not have a gamecube controller in the house playing gamecube games on the wii is not happening for me so I play those on my pc via Dolphin and wii games on the wii so having a hdd that is NTFS is not an issue for me to be honest. It works perfectly fine with the loader I use.
    Love knows no bounds.

As a cryptography and computer security expert, I have never understood the current fuss about the open source software movement. In the cryptography world, we consider open source necessary for good security; we have for decades. Public security is always more secure than proprietary security. It's true for cryptographic algorithms, security protocols, and security source code. For us, open source isn't just a business model; it's smart engineering practice.
    Bruce Schneier, Crypto-Gram 1999/09/15

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Got the Seagate HDD...Doesn't work!!!

I've tried formatting Fat 32, WBFS, NTFS. None of my usb loaders pick up the drive. Tried in both USB slots. They worked with my 3.5" HDD...

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Only one USB slot works fully anyway it was enabled with newer loaders but the best slot is still the most outer USB slot or if on it's flat it's the lower USB slot

What are you using to format to NTSF and Fat32 with??

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

EaseUS Partition Master 9.2.2

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Correct answer

Try removing any and all partitions so it has to start fresh

If you go with Fat32 make sure it has 32KB clusters by default it will be set for 64KB so it does need to be manually changed

You can also try updating the d2x-cios Bruno mentioned that before and linked the correct version you can install that via ModMii or d2x-cios-installer (ModMii is prefured and is less complicated to install it with)

Try the d2x-cios update first

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

I've used ModMii to update everything that needed it. Configurable USB loader is now seeing both the FAT and NTFS partitions. I'll try copying some games tomorrow.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

By default ModMii will only use v8 final not the new v10 v53 beta alt version unless you tell to, v10 alt that does fix some issues with USB devices that v8 final does not, it's not needed for most users though as v8 is enough for most but a few users have found that v10 will fix a few issues

That's great though that it is at least being seen

EDIT off to bed myself, I wish you luck with this though
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-April-2013 at 00:09.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Got Wii games booting with the newest USB Loader GX v.3.0. Now to work out how to boot Gamecube games...

Thanks a lot for your help Zorlon, I really appreciate it.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Hate for it but you will need to update USB loader GX again

http://wiidatabase.de/news/usbloader-gx-beta-r1213/ has the last revision built

You will also need dios mios
    https://code.google.com/p/diosmios/ if you can't download from them I can find an alt place to download from (I can't download from them myself )

This does need Fat32 with 32KB clusters (no choice for that if it's a multi partition drive then the Fat32 32KB cluster partition needs to be the first active partition to work)

Make a folder on the root called games

create a folder for each game you want and pop the disc image in there and name it game.iso

if you have any 2 disc games they need to be named game.iso (for disc 1) and disc2.iso (for disc 2) no options here for file names

NMM option is for virtual memcards but I would still use a real one (NMM is still very much WIP)

There are minor problems with a few GC games for sound streaming as it is not working yet (that only effects a few games though)

You can store more on HDD now as well by the way most loaders including my fav USB Loader GX now has Nand Emulation that comes in very handy for those like me that ran out of nand space long ago, can be used for Wii save data, Channels including VC and WiiWare I wouldn't use it for much more than that though (not that there is much more you can use it for )

EDIT you can also install GameCube games from retail disc as well now via USB Loader GX but it does have problems when ripping 2 disc games, but I found an easy way round it, just install disc 2 first then hook the drive to a PC then rename game.iso to disc2.iso then rip the disc1 via USB Loader GX and that should do it (if not just re-name the folder rip the other disc and pop em both to the same folder named game.iso and disc2.iso)

the DIOS MIOS thing auto changes discs for you if named correctly and stored in the same folder, I used Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes for testing that a while back, it even changed from disc 2 to disc 1 if you ever wanted to back track (forgot a weapon ect...)

P.S. some games like to have a retail GC disc in the drive to work correctly (not all do but some will not work otherwise)

P.P.S. the Dios-Mios compat list is somewhat out of date but the info on the games that have audio streaming issues is about right, but the only game that it ruins the game for is Star Fox Adventures, a game I did enjoy as well but the audio streaming was not just for music like it is for most games it is also for voices and the game does not use subs for those the game Eternal Darkness (not fitting for a young personage anyway but that says it has streaming problems but I never noticed and played it start to end ) use the compat list just as a very very rough guide and look at the version it was tested with and the notes, lot of none working games are 2 disc games that was resolved a while back anyway.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-April-2013 at 18:15.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks again Zorlon. Got it working.

Using configurable usb loader, I can boot both Gamecube and Wii games. I can find Wii box art, does anyone know how to display Gamecube box art?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I don't in configurable usb loader only for USB Loader GX that you just download direct via USB Loader GX

Just get the latest build of USB Loader GX not ver 3.0
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-April-2013 at 21:08.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

I've just figured it out. I'm using DMToolbox to shrink the GCN games. It puts them into a folder with the correct serial for the cover art found at http://www.gametdb.com/Wii/GZLE01. I leave my sd card in the pc and manually download the covers I want.

It's getting a bit of a habit thanking you lately Zorlon...But thanks again for all your help. I think I'm pretty much up and running now.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

lol most don't bother to thank me it's much appreciated

I will be sticking to USB Loader GX I just like it plus it downloads covers and channel displays for not just Wii and GC but Channels (VC and WiiWare) as well from both emulated nand and real nand the only thing it will not display with the rest is Homebrew channel software unless you install a fowarder channel but to be honest I wouldn't show that anyway

You can store all covers on the HDD so no need to store them on a SD I'm not sure about the loader of your choice but you should be able to change the config to read those from the HDD instead, you don't even need to store homebrew channel software on SD now, though I would still do that unless it's an emulator or playable homebrew, Wii modding stuff can stay on SD though

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]