Thread: Emulating On A Dreamcast, is it good?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Emulating On A Dreamcast, is it good?

Someone posted on another forum about if emulating older games on a Dreamcast is any good. So now Im wondering if it is, or if he shouldnt waste his time.

He was interested in early 80's/late 70's game systems, but then hed need an adapter for the telephone like controllers they had.

He linked to this site to get the emulators from, are better versions on here? I told him about us when Ithought he meant emulating a Dreamcast to use NullDC, but he doesnt want to emulate on a computer, just his Dreamcast if he gets one.
    Last edited by williamjones; 13th-April-2013 at 14:56.
    STOP THE MADDENESS, STOP BUYING SPORTS GAMES!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

SNES is great for the most part with a few that do have issues either with speed or graphics
    Megadrive is ok but some game have sound issues (that is using official Megadrive/Genesis emulation)
    PCEngine was ok last I checked but wasn't the greatest some games will run fine (this is going way back so something newer may be on the Dreamcast)

Overall all the above are good I just don't want to get hopes up

8 bit systems like NES and SMS if I remember just work as they should

The best things on the Dreamcast asides from Dreamcast games are the Game Engine Ports like Doom, Quake, SCUMMVM and plenty of others

The best place to find news on emulators for the dreamcast is DCemu (or atleast they used to be it's been a while since I looked at the homebrew for the dreamcast), I'm sure I linked that in the Sega files links stuck thread
    Last edited by Zorlon; 15th-April-2013 at 17:42. Reason: typo

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I personally did not find playing SNES roms on the DC very satisfying but that was about 6 years ago and advances may have been made in the emulators. As for the NES emulation it ran great!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Been digging round a bit recently at Dreamcast stuff

Seems the last couple of comments made in this thread are very much out of date...

Lots of stuff has been updated since I last looked

Megadrive/Genesis there are 2 emulators that have been updated in recent years

Genesis Plus DC
    Front End = Very basic, takes you directly to a rom list and various keys change options shown at the top (Looks a little like the hacked official emu)
    Graphics = Perfect, you may need to mess on with it, 2 main options effect this CPU 68k or LINE and Graphics Software or Hardware
    Sounds = Clicking though isn't too bad you do tend to notice it, no real sound options just on and off
    Compat = Good but have found a few games with issues
    Overall = About the same as the hacked official emulator, some things are better in this one though
    Last update found = 2006 (2007 modded version) [Original version worked smoother from what I tested]

GENS4ALL [I couldn't find an official page...shame]
    Front End = Nice with plenty of option menu's
    Graphics = Perfect, not too much messing with this one
    Sound = Slight clicks, not that obvious, more obvious when no BGM is playing otherwise sound is very good
    Compat = Very good
    Overall = This is just the best you can get at the moment
    Last Update found = 2012

There are newer emulators of plenty of other systems as well I have yet to get into
    SNES4ALL SNES
    NEO4ALL Neo Geo CD
    AES4ALL Neo Geo Carts
    DCASTAWAY Atari ST
    UAE4ALL Amiga A500
    ZX4ALL ZX Spectrum
    MAME4ALL Mame Arcade
    PCSX4ALL PSX

I don't have accurate dates for the above but most have had plenty of updating since I looked last that was years back

PCECast Nec PC Engine 2007
    Neko Project II Nec PC 98 (It's a 16bit Jap comp it has a few gems on it ) 2013

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR