Thread: Original Playstation 2 Repair Help.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Original Playstation 2 Repair Help.

Hello, I need some help on fixing my old ps2 30001 R ntsc model's disc drive so that it plays discs.

Problem 1: the small white ribbon cable near the power cable came off of the drive board and the spinner spins like eh, eh,eh I quit!

Problem 2: There's this small metal rod that was in the box it was stored piece meal in is that anything important?

Problem 3: The drive usually after my dad fixed it twice sucks the tray back in every 5 seconds now it refuses to open at all.

Help in resolving all of these issues would be very much welcomed.
    In the cursed year 1943, Crawley returned.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The safest thing you can do is just buy a working PS2

You can buy the CD/DVD units but from the sounds of things it may not just be an issue with the drive itself and could be a lot of different things, it may even just be a fuse, but those are actually hard to find

for testing though try both a CD and DVD in the drive, both work from different laser pots if one works and the other does not then a simple tune of the pots may help it work again

(pot tuning can help but this can also break the laser unit as well if you tune these too far in either direction)

if neither are working then it is likely it's an electrical fault so either the laser unit needs replacing or the main board has problems itself, either issue will cost you to repair it and again it would save you just to buy a working PS2 rather than attempting to fix something that you can't be 100% sure what the issue really is and I am sure you don't want to buy a laser unit only to find that does not fix the problem

The only metal rods I can think of is off the laser unit that is used to eject the tray on the bulky models and for all models move the laser itself all the rods serve a use though, the only things the PS2 can really do without is a few of the screws are not needed asides from that everything has a use

If the drive is stuck the best way to get that out is to take the thing apart and do a manual eject making sure the drive is in the correct pos to eject, just pulling it out will break the drive while it is in the read pos, there is also a slide card you can use that will place the drive into the none active pos and allow you to manually eject the drive

Slide Card template

Slide card instructions

Remove the little face-plate on the drive door with the Playstation logo. It comes off rather easily.
    Now, with the hole on the slide-card facing to the right, slide it into the gap left after you removed the face-plate. Slide it from the extreme left to the right, and you should feel it catch and the door will open a bit. Holding the card in place, you'll then want to slowly pull forward, fully opening the door.

To reverse what you just done, i.e. close the drive so it's back into the Active Pos. i.e. as if it is reading a disc

Take your card, with the hole still facing to the right, and slide it in until you feel it catch. Then move the card from the right to the left, thus closing the drive.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-April-2013 at 09:23.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I know about it gets damaged pulling tray out mid read s'why I use ulaunch, and both cd, dvd it goes eh eh eh nope, then 5 minutes later verroom okay lets go but not now since the little white ribbon cable near the power button came off the drive assembly again havent had time to get it re-solidered again and the console was bought by my brother at some brother's used store [tore the sticker off 3 years ago] 2 months after I got it I had to get the drive fixed after that you had to have the disk ready or it pulled the tray back in with the blue light always flashing now nothing. Oh do you know any good way to glue the eject button back on it came off after I tried putting the console back in one piece after replacing the controller ribbon. And I think the fuse is fine and they're not really that hard to find just look in those toy ride in cars for kids the voltage is actually the same sometimes. you can also find them at places like home depot and cal ranch cheapest there and if its going to the junk yard in your actual car.
    Last edited by soratron; 9th-April-2013 at 23:55.
    In the cursed year 1943, Crawley returned.