Thread: Weird Question

Thanks

Question Weird Question

Hi everyone i have a very weird question i started downloading my ps2 game from a other site when i finish i burn it at 1x speed with dvd decripter using memorex DVD-R after that i test them with my swap magic coder 3.6 (i think) then i notice something very strange the game does not lag at all even in the fmv scenes that normal or i don't no if it just me ????

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Normal

Most games should not lag unless it's bad media or a bad burn sometimes bad iso

There are some that are unavoidable because the PS2 as well as many other consoles can not read DVD-R or DVD+R media as fast as retail discs, most games should run without lag.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Hmmmm i see...... For a bad burn does it have to do like say a type of "computer" i had a old computer that my sister had when she when to collage when she finish she gave it to me with a dvd burner phillips (i think that what it call) i burn ps2 game like crazy with that computer some of the games still lag even if i burn it at 1x speed. But ever since i got myself a new laptop with a built in dvd burner i burn some ps2 games and i notice my burn games don't lag at all.

What do you think ???

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It could very well be worn older hardware that has caused some issues yeah, drives in general to get worn, sometimes a retune can be done (for PC drives it would need to be disassembled to do that so maybe not) or a lens clean may also help

DVD discs though the quality does vary drasticly for DVD-R media so it is easy to get bad media and I do strongly recommend you try some DVD+R disc mostly for testing to see if your PS2 can handle those well as they are of a higher standard compared with DVD-R media but not all consoles can handle those and some users say that DVD+R's are no good for them, in general though DVD+R is better than DVD-R.

Some games will lag though no matter how well you burn them, that has more to do with PS2 hardware not being able to read -R/+R media as quickly as retail discs and the type of drivers those games use for FMV than your burning.

P.S. ever heard of ESR??? it lets you boot DVD games directly without need of SwapMagic and can be installed with SwapMagic basically a bit of software on your memcard is ran.

ESR works with patched DVD based games, the patch and the software on the memcard makes the PS2 see the discs as DVD Video so the machine doesn't just say this is not PS2 disc, depending how you set up ESR that can either just auto boot the game or you can set a custom menu for the PS2 to include and short cut to manually run ESR, or you can set a short cut key on boot.

ESR also has a higher compat over SwapMagic and works fine with multi disc DVD games like XenoSaga 2 and 3.

ESR can also run Dual Layer discs but to be honest most PS2 hardware will struggle to run those so I still would say look for DVD5 rip kits.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 13th-March-2013 at 20:38.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    It could very well be worn older hardware that has caused some issues yeah, drives in general to get worn, sometimes a retune can be done (for PC drives it would need to be disassembled to do that so maybe not) or a lens clean may also help

DVD discs though the quality does vary drasticly for DVD-R media so it is easy to get bad media and I do strongly recommend you try some DVD+R disc mostly for testing to see if your PS2 can handle those well as they are of a higher standard compared with DVD-R media but not all consoles can handle those and some users say that DVD+R's are no good for them, in general though DVD+R is better than DVD-R.

Some games will lag though no matter how well you burn them, that has more to do with PS2 hardware not being able to read -R/+R media as quickly as retail discs and the type of drivers those games use for FMV than your burning.

P.S. ever heard of ESR??? it lets you boot DVD games directly without need of SwapMagic and can be installed with SwapMagic basically a bit of software on your memcard is ran.

ESR works with patched DVD based games, the patch and the software on the memcard makes the PS2 see the discs as DVD Video so the machine doesn't just say this is not PS2 disc, depending how you set up ESR that can either just auto boot the game or you can set a custom menu for the PS2 to include and short cut to manually run ESR, or you can set a short cut key on boot.

ESR also has a higher compat over SwapMagic and works fine with multi disc DVD games like XenoSaga 2 and 3.

ESR can also run Dual Layer discs but to be honest most PS2 hardware will struggle to run those so I still would say look for DVD5 rip kits.

ESR..... Hmmmm well i think i saw something about that on youtube (i think) it turn the memory card into a modchip right, tell me more about it how do i play my burn ps2 games with it ????

Also can the ESR play burn ps1 games ?????

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Something like that yeah

No ESR can't be used for PSX games but there is another mod that can be installed as well as ESR (PSX Loader) that works as a swap trick for PSX games, at least one original is needed for that

Burning is easy enough patch the iso and burn as normal with something like imgburn at the slowest speed you can

I will at some point do my own CD to DVD guide or just release my rip kits I have sat on my computer not all PS2 CD games can be converted to DVD though but if you keep Swap Magic for those it's not a big deal

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Something like that yeah

No ESR can't be used for PSX games but there is another mod that can be installed as well as ESR (PSX Loader) that works as a swap trick for PSX games, at least one original is needed for that

Burning is easy enough patch the iso and burn as normal with something like imgburn at the slowest speed you can

I will at some point do my own CD to DVD guide or just release my rip kits I have sat on my computer not all PS2 CD games can be converted to DVD though but if you keep Swap Magic for those it's not a big deal
    Yea i think i will stick with my swap magic besize most of my favorite ps2 games are dvd size i would have use ESR for my friend but he not very good with that kind of stuff....

Oh i would like some advice from you zorlons i try burning codebreaker ver 10 and play it with swap magic every time i try to load it wont load any advice ?????

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Use ESR instead you can set that to auto load from USB and if you wanted to play without Codebreaker just remove the USB stick

Kidding though you can

You can run CB from USB via SwapMagic, if you grab the CB.elf file rename it to SWAPMAGIC.ELF create a folder on the USB stick called SWAPMAIGIC and keep the SWAPMAGIC.ELF file in there

can be done with both the CD version and DVD version of SwapMagic, not sure how you boot a game after though, I suspose you can try booting swapmagic from Codebreaker then your DVD-/+R

If you did go with ESR though there would be no need to ever need to swap discs even for Codebreaker

The SwapMagic coder version doesn't that have code support anyway??

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Use ESR instead you can set that to auto load from USB and if you wanted to play without Codebreaker just remove the USB stick

Kidding though you can

You can run CB from USB via SwapMagic, if you grab the CB.elf file rename it to SWAPMAGIC.ELF create a folder on the USB stick called SWAPMAIGIC and keep the SWAPMAGIC.ELF file in there

can be done with both the CD version and DVD version of SwapMagic, not sure how you boot a game after though, I suspose you can try booting swapmagic from Codebreaker then your DVD-/+R

If you did go with ESR though there would be no need to ever need to swap discs even for Codebreaker

The SwapMagic coder version doesn't that have code support anyway??
    Hmmmm i think i saw something like that somewhere on the forum but i can' remember where to get the elf file.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

have a search if you can't find it I will

I actually uploaded the sucker myself

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

have a search if you can't find it I will

I actually uploaded the sucker myself
    sorry if i laugh anyway i fond 2 topic of it this one http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=CB.ELF or this one http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=CB.ELF i can't tell witch is better

Oh i think i fond something http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...odebreaker.elf is that topic what you mean ?????
    Last edited by deadlegion; 16th-March-2013 at 22:03. Reason: posts merged

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

That be the one yeah and 9.3 is the best option because of the Day1 support for custom Day1 files basically a cheat list file so you can add cheats without using the codebreaker system cheat input screen that is very slow to use

all the top ones are not patched the rest are either pre-patched or just patches but those are for use with HDD or ESR depending on your needs
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-March-2013 at 10:11.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]