Thread: Dragon Quest VII

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Dragon Quest VII

A girl from my school just let me borrow Dragon Quest (Warrior) VII.

If you're familiar with me at all, you may remember that I whenever I get a new interesting game that I think some of the members here may have have good input about I make a thread about it so we can all get some in-depth discussion going about said game. So you know what to do.

Dragon Quest (Warrior) VII

Thoughts?

Thanks
    EP Points

I know this game was originally being developed for the N64DD, but got ported to PS1 when Enix realized the DD was gonna flop.
    As far as my experience with the game, I really enjoyed it. I never did finish it, but I put in more than 70 hours over the course of a few months. I ended up getting stuck somewhere and not knowing where to go or what to do, and I remember not being able to find a decent walkthrough at the time that could point me in the right direction so I ended up just giving up. I'd like to go back to it some day, but I doubt that will happen.

There is a 3DS remake coming out at some point - I don't have a 3DS, but it would be a good time for anyone who does to get into the game

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the input! I haven't played it yet myself so I'm also wondering...how was the overall presentation in your opinion? I've heard some criticisms about the fact that since it was one of the last PS1 titles (or at least near the end of the system's life I believe) its graphics were dated even at the time of its release. Also I've heard that random encounters in it are a pain and a few other issues. I've of course also heard great things though. What did you think about it aesthetically? And what about the music?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SpuzzHardwick View Post
    Thanks for the input! I haven't played it yet myself so I'm also wondering...how was the overall presentation in your opinion? I've heard some criticisms about the fact that since it was one of the last PS1 titles (or at least near the end of the system's life I believe) its graphics were dated even at the time of its release. Also I've heard that random encounters in it are a pain and a few other issues. I've of course also heard great things though. What did you think about it aesthetically? And what about the music?
    - Graphically the game is pretty lousy. You can tell it started it's life on another system, then was kind of half ass ported to the PS1. It has a fully rotating camera though, which is real nice, but the general graphics are more of the "sprite" variety if memory servers. It reminded me a lot of Xenogears..... looks like total shit, even when it came out, but that's totally beside the point

- Sound and music are fine - typical Dragon Quest fare. It doesn't have the most memorable of DQ music, but it does the job!

- The game is a bit of a grind fest, and IIRC, some of the standard enemies were damn tough. It provided a challenge that many games lack, so it's worth it in my opinion.

- Aesthetically the game plays fine - controls are tight, I don't remember loading times being an issue, and there weren't any real problems that I encountered.

In the end, I think you'll really enjoy it as long as a bit of grinding doesn't get you down. The game is really huge, and after my 70 hours the best I could figure was that I was only around the half way mark, or maybe even less. The game was on 2 discs, and I don't think I made it to disc 2

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Wow that's great. I love long RPGs...but grinding..well I guess I have a love/hate relationship with it. If it's the addictive kind where I can put some headphones in and listen to a podcast (or three) while just monotonously grinding while still managing to have a bit of fun and not wanting to kill myself, then I'll be just fine. If it's the other kind however...the kind where it's near torture and pretty much the opposite of fun...well that will be a shame.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SpuzzHardwick View Post
    Wow that's great. I love long RPGs...but grinding..well I guess I have a love/hate relationship with it. If it's the addictive kind where I can put some headphones in and listen to a podcast (or three) while just monotonously grinding while still managing to have a bit of fun and not wanting to kill myself, then I'll be just fine. If it's the other kind however...the kind where it's near torture and pretty much the opposite of fun...well that will be a shame.
    It's the easy kind of grinding where you can basically close your eyes and just hammer on X to get desired results. Or you can do like you said and just tune out and listen to a podcast or music or whatever.... Let me know what you think of the game when you get it started!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks man I will! Also curious what some of our other JRPG fans here think.