Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Wii IOS

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Questions about Wii IOS

Ok I'm new in this stuff and I searched something on the net but I didn't found what I wanted.

I'd like to know if there is a list that tells you which IOS is better to use in every game so I can change the default in the USB loader and prevent myself to... I don't know lose some content cause I was using the wrong IOS.

Not sure if it is even possible but I was just thinking about this:

I'm playing metroid and I will lose some nice pic of Samus in a bikini that was suppose to be sent to my message board but it will not be there cause I was using IOS 224 when I was supposed to use 250.

I had a little problem with Mario Kart Wii and it got my thinking. Using IOS 249 is perfect but the opening keep stuttering. After some quick trial and error I found out that IOS 224 fix the problem so opening and game is perfect! And then I try to install Mario Kart Channel with IOS 224 and it just fails sending me to the Wii main menu I change back to IOS 249 and bang I can now install the Mario Kart Channel

Why things like that happens?

Sorry If I worry to much with small things I just want to learn more and play the games and enjoy then at full without losing anything in terms of content!

thx in advance : )
    Last edited by Bruno; 2nd-March-2013 at 13:02.
    "Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within
    the heart of mankind." - Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

In general 249 is the one to go for

but http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Gam...tibility_Table has good info for you

The info is actually out of date as 249 works with everything I have chucked at it including a few that say only works with xxx

updated hacks ect have enabled 249 to do alot more older mods needed exact setting for some games, some games may still need those settings though
    Last edited by Zorlon; 2nd-March-2013 at 14:15.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Have you tried this one:

alternative d2x v10 beta r53

I saw some dude saying on my searches that this will run everything even make those dol changes useless! Maybe Metroid Prime Trilogy will run like the original one now!

Metroid Prime Trilogy.jpg
    Last edited by Bruno; 2nd-March-2013 at 14:44.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Metroid Prime Tril used to be more limited than it is now I will check it out though

I will check my copy out later I'm in the middle of MGS at the moment can't see me being too long though

Nope though not seen that until now

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

You mean you're going to install this beta I told you? Is it safe?

Also on modmii guide it says I have the "cIOS249[56]-d2x-v8-final" the other ones on the site I posted here are the same IOS from the same author but updated? Why modmii didn't installed that for me? maybe they have some crazy bug!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You can always revert changes it is almost 2 years old as well

I will take a beter look though before i do anything

I will need to re-install Metroid anyway I seem to of deleted it from my drive either that or I only have a single partition shown going to check that soon just waiting for MGS credits first..
    Last edited by Zorlon; 2nd-March-2013 at 16:44.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

ok please let me know if it is really a improvement over the one I have installed.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

nope don't have Metroid Prime Trilogy on there anymore will have to re download it my original is not at my house.... must of let my kid bro have it to play on. I don't remember to be honest and it doesn't really mater, just means I will be waiting before I do any more tests.

Lost it when I was resorting my drives :/

P.S. I did notice while playing round with other things that the new D2X v10 does not get installed into the same places as D2X v8 does I will still do a bit more digging before actually installing anyway

So the version we are given is still required even if it did give us v10 aswell
    Last edited by Zorlon; 2nd-March-2013 at 22:07.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Too bad you lost it But you have the original! I wish I could find a cheap copy of the original where I live

I tried to undertand the change log from the file d2x-v10-beta53-alt.zip but I failed

I wish they could put something like this: Hey Metroid Prime Trilogy is working like the original now sooo no more dol thing!

EDIT: Zorlon help me out here cause I think I made some confusion! This d2x-v10-beta53-alt.zip file is the same they are talking about? I'm interested in this file cIOSX rev21d2x but the link there take me to this one I already gave you. They are the same thing?
    Last edited by Bruno; 3rd-March-2013 at 11:23.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm talking about the same version that's on google code, cIOSX rev21d2x is an older version (no longer available) as the last version 8 beta is rev40 I'm guessing even version 1 final is a higher version and rev21 is a pre version 1 or a version 1 beta

EDIT:- I was a canny bit out on my guess lol the source changes list helped there though r21/rev21 is a beta build of v7

They jump around a bit after the final of v8 at one point they revert back to using v8 as a base & take some features of v9, they seem to be doing more work on the alt version and getting some mixed results, it may be wise to wait for them, though I will still take a look at v10

r44 is tagged as d2x-v8.
    r37 is tagged as d2x-v7.
    r20 is tagged as d2x-v6
    r17 is tagged as d2x-v5.
    r15 is tagged as d2x-v4.
    r11 is tagged as d2x-v3.
    r6 is tagged as d2x-v2.
    r4 is tagged as d2x-v1.

The tagging system they use is off as the previous r is the final version i.e. v8 final is r43 from what I can figure out

Spoiler warning:
    r54 Created wiki page "How to choose the d2x distribution fitting your needs". Dec 22, 2012
    r53 d2x-alt - Added support for Virtual Wii bases 56/57/58. Dec 22, 2012
    r52 d2x - Added support for Virtual Wii bases 56/57/58. Dec 22, 2012
    r51 Reverted to r43, i.e. last v8 revision. Also ported some useful fixes and features from r49, i.e. last v9 revision, especially: - Removed from ciosmaps.xml the patch to skip the process id check inside os_software_IRQ(4). - Fixed content id for bases 60/70/80 in ciosmaps.xml (tnx to dragbe). - Added maked2x.sh to build the cios on Linux (tnx to r-win). - Added stripios source to svn. - Removed the easter egg introduced by Waninkoko in cios rev20. - Fixed an EHCI issue in ReadCapacity that pr Dec 20, 2012
    r50 d2x-alt branch from d2x-v9-beta(r49) Dec 20, 2012
    r49 GENERAL: - Added maked2x.sh to build the cios on Linux (tnx to r-win). DATA: - Fixed content id for bases 60/70/80 in ciosmaps.xml (tnx to dragbe). EHCI: - Fixed an issue in ReadCapacity that prevented certain usb devices from working (tnx to digicroxx). - Fixed an issue in GetDescriptors that prevented certain usb devices from working (tnx to digicroxx). - Added a ioctl command to specify the current usb port. - Minor changes and code clean up. UTILS: - Added stripios source to svn. WIKI: Apr 29, 2012
    r48 Added a wiki page for problematic disc-based games. Mar 18, 2012
    r47 DATA: - Removed from ciosmaps.xml the patch to skip the process id check inside os_software_IRQ(4). Now this patch is applied by the EHCI module at startup. - Added a new patch to ciosmaps.xml in order to register an alternative SDI module name without the initial slash. This custom name is required by nand emulation to avoid deadlock since we have to open the sd card from inside the fs-plugin. - Removed from ciosmaps.xml the content corresponding to FAT and SDHC modules which have been suppress Mar 18, 2012
    r46 Edited wiki page How_To_Install through web user interface. Mar 12, 2012
    r45 Added wiki page to replace the "Updates/Activity" tab which google removed. Mar 12, 2012
    r44 Tagged as d2x-v8. Mar 6, 2012

END EDIT:-
    d2x-alt - 2 usb ports supported.
    - Fully plug&play usb devices, meaning that you can connect them when the game asks for them. - Lower compatibility for nand emulation.
    Think I will pass on that exact one though (I like the nand emulation) and don't mind needing to connect extra's to usb before booting x game, it does seem that they need to iron out a few more problems before giving v10 a final version

cIOS editions
    Each branch has 2 editions, one for real Wii and the other one for Virtual Wii inside a WiiU. So there are a total of 4 distribution files.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Nerver install a vWii edition on a real Wii and viceversa.
    the standard d2x-v10-beta-r52 is the one to look at

the vWii version is for the WiiU (I wouldn't mod that machine myself it is only for Wii software not WiiU software)
    the alt versions although supports both ports also limits you in other ways (emulated nand will become unstable)

I will keep digging though

https://code.google.com/p/d2x-cios/w...x_distribution

Basically v10 = v8 + problematic hdd fix from v9 this will probably be added to ModMii either when it has reached the final version 10 or it already has v10 beta 52/53 as they only got done on Dec 22 2012

I am guessing not though v9 never got a final version though, and v10 is still experimental so you can either jump in and give it a go or wait until they are happy with there work and give us a final version for me I am willing to temp try out d2x v10 beta r52 that has less risk for messing up other mods I use (that one possibly installs the same as v8 aswell before that I had the alt version on my SD (I was looking not installing though ))

P.S. I also re-read the Metroid reference yeah they fixed that a long time ago, it does not stop the custom dol thing though, it's the IOS reload issue that got fixed that also caused problems with Metroid, I want to double check Metroid anyway though as I'm sure the dol thing was fixed, v10 of d2x may be fixing other issue I will see what logs I can pull out later and see what exactly is fixed

EDIT:- ModMii can install the latest versions of d2x it seems you just need to tell it to use beta's, so by default it just goes for the most stable version that will not cause problems

Spoiler warning:
    ModMii:

Download and install ModMii v4.8.1 or higher on your PC. Download link:
    ModMii for Windows
    From ModMii's Main Menu, enter "4", then "beta"
    Select the d2x beta you want to build
    Mark some or all d2x cIOSs for download (i.e. "d2x")
    Enter "D" then "Y" to build d2x beta cIOSs\WADs
    Install cIOSs using a WAD Manager - i.e. WiiMod\MMM\YAWMM (available on ModMii's Download Page 2)

P.S. installing Metroid Prime Tril now I will do a quick test first with the game without v10 then I will install v10 now I have done my digging, glad I did as I would of been trying to install the WiiU version of it.

EDIT:- yeah the dol selecting thing is of the past, thought that was fixed anyway I believe that was fixed a while back. before you had to load each game on the disc by a dol and you had to load the main menu by a dol or just booting normally and if you select a game from the main menu it just wouldn't load, if I remember correctly it just would boot you back into the main menu of Metroid Prime tril, it was a pain to do you had to first create a profile in the main menu then reboot the Wii and then load the dol for the game you wanted to play and be able to save

Question is now though what do you want me check for in 10, at the moment everything seems to work just fine for me, not sure any HDD fixes would do anything for me it may be for certain USB drive issues, that for me would not change anything
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-March-2013 at 14:50.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh boy! I get it thx man! I was really tired and my mind messed things up! Now that I slept I saw the r53 in the file posted by myself But it's strange they promised that thing in a older version and today it's still not done

EDIT: OPS! anyway the only thing I wanted to know was if we were are the right site!

I myself always prefer to get the final version even If I have to wait a lot that's why I asked you if you were really sure to test this thing!

Well you were cautious enough and that's the way we roll! you're a veteran in this stuff anyway hahahaha

REALLY? I never actualy played Metroid Prile Trilogy but I was waiting for the perfect way to play the game! So you played the game without the dol thing using this d2x-v10-beta-r52? everything perfect? You don't know how happy I am hahahaha it's nice to see they can do this awesome things!

I have been searching for a fix for ages. Guess all the old guides kept me to find this new stuff!

By the way thx for the trouble I was pissing myself cause I don't know much about installing IOS on my new Wii and you did all the hard work for me

Anyway since I can request something using this d2x-v10-beta-r52 you installled now I wanted to know if this HDD thing can fix things like flash drives compat and stuff. Cause like I said Mario Kart Wii keep stuttering on the opening when I used IOS 249 and with IOS 224 it works perfectly but the Mario Kart Channel installation failed meaning I have to use 224 to play and 249 just to install the channel. Since I undertood that IOS have to do with the access of the Wii USB ports this could be the reason I had this problem. It's a small thing but I like to play things 100% and I also got curious about problems

If you have Mario Kart Wii and can test the opening thing for me I would be very grateful. Oh and see if you can install the Mario Kart Channel with the d2x-v10-beta-r52 too! All I want to know is if this v10 can be like the ultimate IOS to run games without switching in the process of trial and error to run a game.
    Last edited by Bruno; 3rd-March-2013 at 20:19.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    Oh boy! I get it thx man! I was really tired and my mind messed things up! Now that I slept I saw the r53 in the file posted by myself But it's strange they promised that thing in a older version and today it's still not done

EDIT: OPS! anyway the only thing I wanted to know was if we were are the right site!

I myself always prefer to get the final version even If I have to wait a lot that's why I asked you if you were really sure to test this thing!
    The multi dol thing was fixed I just had to double check that myself it was a while since I last played Metroid Prime Trilogy from my HardDrive that's all

I'm sure it was fixed in v6

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

That's nice to know maybe when I finish Dark Souls I can try to finish all those three games!

And about the Mario Kart request I made let me know if you can do this favor for me. If not it's ok I think I'm going to try install this v10 myself even if it is a beta. I will just have to find some free time and do this with caution.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What request???

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

The one I made in the post above:

Anyway since I can request something using this d2x-v10-beta-r52 you installled now I wanted to know if this HDD thing can fix things like flash drives compat and stuff. Cause like I said Mario Kart Wii keep stuttering on the opening when I used IOS 249 and with IOS 224 it works perfectly but the Mario Kart Channel installation failed meaning I have to use 224 to play and 249 just to install the channel. Since I undertood that IOS have to do with the access of the Wii USB ports this could be the reason I had this problem. It's a small thing but I like to play things 100% and I also got curious about problems

If you have Mario Kart Wii and can test the opening thing for me I would be very grateful. Oh and see if you can install the Mario Kart Channel with the d2x-v10-beta-r52 too! All I want to know is if this v10 can be like the ultimate IOS to run games without switching in the process of trial and error to run a game.
    Only if you can ok! thx
    Last edited by Bruno; 4th-March-2013 at 11:15.