Thread: Why dump 3DS games when there is no emulator?

Thanks
    EP Points

Question Why dump 3DS games when there is no emulator?

I had this question for ages in my head, lots of other sites are putting up dumped "3DS roms", even though there is no emulator.

All of youtube's ones are fake until somewhere around 2020 roughly or even longer

Some people are also beginning to post some 3DS roms here, and without an emulator or 3DS flashcart or mod or whatever tool can be used, you can't confirm if it's a true 3DS rom. Showing a pic of how it was dumped isn't good enough either now that there are so many ways of making fake stuff

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You can't write an input-dependent application without input. If there are no files to manipulate, you can't base a program on it.
    Dumping the contents of a ROM whether its flash, OTP or otherwise, the process is hardware intensive and software guys and hardware guys don't think alike.

What I mean to say is that you have nothing to worry about unless of course you'll be writing a program. I think you need to be a little more thankful to the writers and dumpers; whom all need a place to start.
    I can imagine the same question being asked in the 70's and 80's. Of course, back then, they made clone-consoles rather than emulators.
    Last edited by Jazzmarazz; 26th-February-2013 at 17:40.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

There are still much older systems without emulation or flash kits

The roms are still dumped and collected for the time that there is emulators and as Jazz put it the roms can be used in part for developing such emulators and or flash kits

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Like I said you can't confirm proper Rom dumps, most likely they're corrupt or not even real at all; I mean, a dump of Mario Kart 7 in 8GB and yet the file is 1GB? That's like porting a DL game back about 5 years in graphics! I can't even mention trimming because there's still all the 3D stuff to dump and 3D monitors aren't cheap. It seems like there's no point now dumping 3DS roms when you can't get the full experience without the 3D, like what the 360 and PS3 did with stereoscopic 3D except on a home console

DS roms are already hard enough to dump, just because they're both in a cartridge doesn't mean you can get something good out of it

Even the PSP doesn't have a decent working emu yet, the WIP one that I know of is PPSSPP in its early stages

The 360 and the PS3 are nowhere near enough to be able to emulate since when they came out

Then you have all that anti-piracy to bypass which you can't without the valid rom

On the issue of copyright infringement, game developer THQ claims that the Nintendo 3DS features sophisticated copy protection technology which Nintendo believes is able to significantly curb video game copyright infringement, which is claimed to have had increasingly depressed the handheld market with the proliferation of cheap flash memory and the rise in file sharing.
    The 3DS will be more powerful than the general mid-low range people try to emulate games with, let alone those high-end ones

Emulating 2 arm11 cpus is different now that they changed the hardware and 1 arm9 and 1 arm11 cpu in the DS is hard enough

About that thing about the fact that you can't make a program without basing it on a file, if it doesn't work after years of trial and error then the file (in this case the rom) is invalid/fake.

EDIT: Sorry for the long explanation I'm not in the right mood now I seem to be a bit frustrated with other stuff and I wanted to give it all in one shot
    Last edited by ndsplayer19576; 26th-February-2013 at 23:38.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ndsplayer19576 View Post
    Like I said you can't confirm proper Rom dumps, most likely they're corrupt or not even real at all; I mean, a dump of Mario Kart 7 in 8GB and yet the file is 1GB? That's like porting a DL game back about 5 years in graphics! I can't even mention trimming because there's still all the 3D stuff to dump and 3D monitors aren't cheap. It seems like there's no point now dumping 3DS roms when you can't get the full experience without the 3D, like what the 360 and PS3 did with stereoscopic 3D except on a home console

DS roms are already hard enough to dump, just because they're both in a cartridge doesn't mean you can get something good out of it

Even the PSP doesn't have a decent working emu yet, the WIP one that I know of is PPSSPP in its early stages

The 360 and the PS3 are nowhere near enough to be able to emulate since when they came out

Then you have all that anti-piracy to bypass which you can't without the valid rom

The 3DS will be more powerful than the general mid-low range people try to emulate games with, let alone those high-end ones

Emulating 2 arm11 cpus is different now that they changed the hardware and 1 arm9 and 1 arm11 cpu in the DS is hard enough

About that thing about the fact that you can't make a program without basing it on a file, if it doesn't work after years of trial and error then the file (in this case the rom) is invalid/fake.

EDIT: Sorry for the long explanation I'm not in the right mood now I seem to be a bit frustrated with other stuff and I wanted to give it all in one shot
    I see that you have done your homework on the guts of the 3Ds, but why do you so harshly insist that each and every ROM is a fake? You're not writing an emu and you seem to be highly against collecting them at this time, so why on earth do you even care?
    Are you opening a simple discussion or are you sincerely debating each ROM's legitimacy?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It's all part of the process no we don't know for certain how well the current dumps are untill there is a way to play them

There are some rom tools out there for the 3DS dumps, very little can be done with them except for reading headers and extracting icons ect

Even with the first few DS roms dumps eventually got redumped with a better methods the same with GBA ect ect ect, most systems do get redumps

But even with the DS and GBA the bad dumps still worked via emulation and or flash kit ect, a simple patch could also be used to fix the broken dumps

I don't believe they will be fake but they may not be good dumps though and possibly have alot of code missing from them, the DSi dumps are currently broken at the moment, just as an example they are currently missing the DSi code so they will not work but this will be used as a WIP to how to dump those correctly, personally no I would not download the 3DS or DSi exclusive games at this moment

I do have some older system game dumps from the Game.com that are not emulated and there is no flash kit at the moment due to unknown info about the original hardware, this system may never be emulated, shame because a ported emulator for the DS would be great the Game.com was a touch screen console

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    It's all part of the process no we don't know for certain how well the current dumps are untill there is a way to play them

There are some rom tools out there for the 3DS dumps, very little can be done with them except for reading headers and extracting icons ect

Even with the first few DS roms dumps eventually got redumped with a better methods the same with GBA ect ect ect, most systems do get redumps

But even with the DS and GBA the bad dumps still worked via emulation and or flash kit ect, a simple patch could also be used to fix the broken dumps

I don't believe they will be fake but they may not be good dumps though and possibly have alot of code missing from them, the DSi dumps are currently broken at the moment, just as an example they are currently missing the DSi code so they will not work but this will be used as a WIP to how to dump those correctly, personally no I would not download the 3DS or DSi exclusive games at this moment

I do have some older system game dumps from the Game.com that are not emulated and there is no flash kit at the moment due to unknown info about the original hardware, this system may never be emulated, shame because a ported emulator for the DS would be great the Game.com was a touch screen console
    Now I get it. I've gone back to normal since I was insane for some reason about this topic

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    I see that you have done your homework on the guts of the 3Ds, but why do you so harshly insist that each and every ROM is a fake? You're not writing an emu and you seem to be highly against collecting them at this time, so why on earth do you even care?
    Are you opening a simple discussion or are you sincerely debating each ROM's legitimacy?
    Not like there are games unable to be dumped there's only little to be done like Zorlon said

With what you just said there I might actually be bothered to write an emu, since I have a 3DS myself so I can dig into it, well at least when I learn lots of advanced coding

If I do make one, I'll release it here and maybe a website but this is a small chance of success so most definitely no

Anyways my PC is too weak to do it, with the 3DS being 2.4 GHz and my PC being 2.1 GHz and the 3DS's GPU's much more powerful than my basic HD Graphics

P.S. I thought you were gonna get really mad and you didn't; so very surprised I'm not usually this mad at topics like this

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

A, I that mean?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    A, I that mean?
    No, just that I predict badly

No idea why

Thanks

You're quite misinformed about psp emulation. Ive personally played nearly 50 psp games on a working emulatior with little to no glitching. You may want to do some research on that before making claims.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

I'm going to close this one, this is an old thread and there's no news on the subject
    Last edited by Zorlon; 19th-April-2013 at 09:25. Reason: just a typo