Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: USB Loaders and other mods for Wii?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default USB Loaders and other mods for Wii?

I'm starting to doubt the fact that cfg-Loader (the one I use) is good at all, with all sorts of recommendations like WiiFlow and USB Loader GX.

Any suggestions? cfg-Loader is user-friendly, USB Loader GX I found hard to set up with lots of crashes while WiiFlow I have not tested yet.

EDIT: My requirements are USB WBFS loading and SD Fat32 GCN loading.
    Last edited by ndsplayer19576; 25th-February-2013 at 23:20.

Thanks

I'm curious about this as well. I have USB Loader GX installed along with Dios Mios 2.8, but it seems to want to fight with me when it comes to running Gamecube games off the USB (namely, I get to the Start menu for the game, but then it insists on copying the entire game to my SD card which I don't want to do. And...er, can't actually do as there's no room on the SD card for that).

Thanks
    EP Points

Still new to USB Loader GX but till now the 3 wii games I tested is working great! And the interface is beautiful!

I had a small problem with Mario Kart Wii but it was solved simply by changing a IOS and CFG had the exact same problem so CFG is not miraculous or anything! The same problem I had with one I had with the other is just a matter of patience and mess in every damn option with caution till you learn the best setup for you!

My Wii can't run gamecube games but I saw options to do that on GX. I really loved this loader and I really don't think it will give problems if you do the right steps but I can't test and give you the final answer sorry. Someone will give you some feedback soon.
    Last edited by Bruno; 27th-February-2013 at 14:33.
    "Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within
    the heart of mankind." - Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    Still new to USB Loader GX but till now the 3 wii games I tested is working great! And the interface is beautiful!

I had a small problem with Mario Kart Wii but it was solved simply by changing a IOS and CFG had the exact same problem so CFG is not miraculous or anything! The same problem I had with one I had with the other is just a matter of patience and mess in every damn option with caution till you learn the best setup for you!

My Wii can't run gamecube games but I saw options to do that on GX. I really loved this loader and I really don't think it will give problems if you do the right steps but I can't test and give you the final answer sorry. Someone will give you some feedback soon.
    Just as I thought, USB Loader GX was the better option. cfg-Loader took me a while to set up, while USB Loader GX took me ages, about a couple of days (however this was when I was new to this stuff)

I wonder how many more suggestions I'll get for this loader.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

USBLoaderGX for me runs sweet never had a crash or any other issues
    CFG Loader I would consider the least user friendly though it is a good enough loader
    WiiFlow is not one I have had any personal use of though

Used it for years now, it is by far the sexiest loader, I have used other loaders from time to time but keep going back to my fav GX Loader, can't say I noticed any issues setting it up, most of the setup is auto unless a game requires a certain fix to run that is different from the general auto setup, but that's just to easy to setup, then again it may just be I am quick to pick things up, but to me there wasn't anything to pick up, it really is simple

Changing paths round can be time consuming if you want to use custom folder settings, I tend to do this so all the covers and cheat files are stored on HDD, saving space on my SD card (I could do with a new SD at some point, my NAND is kinda full just from saves from Wii games so need a bigger SD to backup as many saves as possible to get the NAND cleared up a bit)

Compat wise the loaders are much the same so just pick what you are most at ease using, if that is cfg loader so be it

WBFS is very much out of date now and it is the preference of many users to load both GameCube and Wii from Fat 32 instead

Some of us like myself have held back a bit due to having huge drives full of games before reformatting to fat32 (only recently have I had the chance to do that and it had taken me 2 days to backup the games so I could do a reformat of my 2TB drive I use with the Wii, now the drive can take both Wii and GameCube games) still sorting my games a bit now as it happens, mostly to remove unwanted games to make space for newer games, I am about a year out for wii software that again was held back due to lack of space

SD cards for me are too small even the biggest ones 32GB last I checked are a little on the small size for my needs asides from that I don't know if there is any difference running from SD to running from HDD (data access rate may be different though)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-February-2013 at 16:36.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    USBLoaderGX for me runs sweet never had a crash or any other issues
    CFG Loader I would consider the least user friendly though it is a good enough loader
    WiiFlow is not one I have had any personal use of though

Used it for years now, it is by far the sexiest loader, I have used other loaders from time to time but keep going back to my fav GX Loader, can't say I noticed any issues setting it up, most of the setup is auto unless a game requires a certain fix to run that is different from the general auto setup, but that's just to easy to setup, then again it may just be I am quick to pick things up, but to me there wasn't anything to pick up, it really is simple

Changing paths round can be time consuming if you want to use custom folder settings, I tend to do this so all the covers and cheat files are stored on HDD, saving space on my SD card (I could do with a new SD at some point, my NAND is kinda full just from saves from Wii games so need a bigger SD to backup as many saves as possible to get the NAND cleared up a bit)

Compat wise the loaders are much the same so just pick what you are most at ease using, if that is cfg loader so be it

WBFS is very much out of date now and it is the preference of many users to load both GameCube and Wii from Fat 32 instead

Some of us like myself have held back a bit due to having huge drives full of games before reformatting to fat32 (only recently have I had the chance to do that and it had taken me 2 days to backup the games so I could do a reformat of my 2TB drive I use with the Wii, now the drive can take both Wii and GameCube games) still sorting my games a bit now as it happens, mostly to remove unwanted games to make space for newer games, I am about a year out for wii software that again was held back due to lack of space

SD cards for me are too small even the biggest ones 32GB last I checked are a little on the small size for my needs asides from that I don't know if there is any difference running from SD to running from HDD (data access rate may be different though)
    Is USB Loader GX more compatible with NTFS than cfg-Loader? I need to use more than the Fat32 limit of 4GB.

I'm preserving my USB for Wii games and my SD for GCN games, since I still have lots of blocks on my nand and I like to use channels for things like emulators. Updates will be a problem but everything gets outdated at some point and requires an update so I do it in a month to get use out of it first

I've also heard of USB Gecko, what's that? All I know that it's a mod for the Wii. Websites claim it's not being sold anymore so I'm asking this out of curiousity

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by DeathChicken View Post
    I'm curious about this as well. I have USB Loader GX installed along with Dios Mios 2.8, but it seems to want to fight with me when it comes to running Gamecube games off the USB (namely, I get to the Start menu for the game, but then it insists on copying the entire game to my SD card which I don't want to do. And...er, can't actually do as there's no room on the SD card for that).
    I don't have HDD hooked up at the moment but in the settings there is an option to that is set to SD that can be changed to HDD for when you dump GC originals via USB Loader GX

There are 2 path options for GC only one of those can be changed to HDD the other says it can't so you will know if you changing the correction option

Next time you try to rip it will give you the option to rip to the first 32bit HDD partition

If you can't find it I will tell you exactly when I get the drive hooked up again, moving large amounts of files round at the moment so I can't do this now.

EDIT I can tell you exactly tomorrow I still have over 10 hours to wait for the files to be fully moved :/
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-February-2013 at 16:48.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ndsplayer19576 View Post
    Is USB Loader GX more compatible with NTFS than cfg-Loader? I need to use more than the Fat32 limit of 4GB.

I'm preserving my USB for Wii games and my SD for GCN games, since I still have lots of blocks on my nand and I like to use channels for things like emulators. Updates will be a problem but everything gets outdated at some point and requires an update so I do it in a month to get use out of it first

I've also heard of USB Gecko, what's that? All I know that it's a mod for the Wii. Websites claim it's not being sold anymore so I'm asking this out of curiousity
    I have 8 GB + games installed on Fat32 the WBFS file format splits games so there is never a solid 8GB file

Gecko is a cheat file system USB Loader GX aswell as others have that built in to them, GX will let you download the cheat text files direct and let create custom cheat files from those direct on the Wii, P.S. GC games are also supported, though I was getting network errors last I tried it, might of been on my end though I will re-test later though when I get the chance.

example for XenobladeUntitled.png
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-February-2013 at 17:03.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

A bit irrelevant, but how much stuff are you actually try to move Zorlon? I mean, when my PCs slow it takes 5-10 mins to move about 10 mb to a USB which has a decent transfer rate

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

357GB or 365568MB

as I said I use a 2TB drive on the Wii also thats from one USB HDD to another

lol it takes a while to copy large amounts of big files that's only 113 Wii games, I have had exactly 1000 wii games on that HDD 2 partitions of 500 games (500 games per partition because of the limitations of WBFS formatted drives, now I have those converted to Fat32)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-February-2013 at 17:16.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

So that wbf1 file is split? All I know is that wbfs files are like trimmed isos usually with the update partition removed. I'm confused here

Is there a tool that can put my dumped wii games into wbfs format from iso format or not? I'm considering giving USB Loader GX a shot after a long time if it's supported

What I meant by USB gecko was this not the cheats so you don't need to answer my question now

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. EDIT: cfg-Loader can do downloading of cheat txt files as well but for some codes I have to get into WiiExplorer and tweak the txt files a bit before I make the gct file

EDIT 2: This is even more irrelevant but are those 1000 wii games for testing and troubleshooting? I only have about 10 (100 times less games than you)
    Last edited by ndsplayer19576; 27th-February-2013 at 17:33.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Any WBFS manager should be able to do what you are asking but if you are interested I use Wii Backup Manager 0.3.8 Build 60, it's possibly an old version though, I keep forgetting to check for an update

I am not the only one to play on my Wii so the 1000 games are there for anyone to play but I did boot test them all into game play, no point in having none working games, there was no dupes and no games I couldn't play so no Guitar Hero or Band Hero games no Microphone games and no Wii Board games, basicaly no games that required hardware I did not have for the Wii

EDIT yep I'm using an old version lol, latest is build 78 I may update after it has finished moving the files I requested it to do

EDIT yes thats a 6.32GB game split (yes the junk is removed, update data is not needed and it is advised that you have disc updates and any other auto updates blocked, this will mess up any soft mod the Wii has) Not sure what you are confused about though, if you need to update anything though you can use something like ModMii that can be used if any of the ios's fall out of date, the Wii is near the end of it's life though so I can't see to many new ones arriving, unless they are mods like DIOS MIOS

If you are wondering though the Wii reads the split file as if it is a single file and there is no lag specially as it reads USB faster than it reads discs
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-February-2013 at 17:54.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Any WBFS manager should be able to do what you are asking but if you are interested I use Wii Backup Manager 0.3.8 Build 60, it's possibly an old version though, I keep forgetting to check for an update

I am not the only one to play on my Wii so the 1000 games are there for anyone to play but I did boot test them all into game play, no point in having none working games, there was no dupes and no games I couldn't play so no Guitar Hero or Band Hero games no Microphone games and no Wii Board games, basicaly no games that required hardware I did not have for the Wii
    Looks like I might have to ignore WBFS Manager for a while, give Fat32 a go and use the tool you mentioned

Just realised that their site is where I got Gamecube ISO Tool for trimming GCN games

EDIT: What's "dupes"?

EDIT 2: It's on build 78 now.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

dupes (duplicated games I only had one copy of each game and didn't have another copy of the game from a different region)

The Wii has a huge selection of games, though I admit there is a lot of naff games, but there are also a lot of really good to fantastic games as well, shame the controls put lots of people off and most think that most games are motion games, fact is that's just not true, some games can use GC pads or the classic controller (sometimes optional) lots of games use the wii mote and it's partner like any other normal controller, there are a number of light gun type games as well again not motion games, there are still a few motion only games, but the system as a whole varies it's controls throughout

The biggest downside to the Wii for me is the distance the censor bar can pick up the Wii motes is a little short

/\ sorry got a lil off topic

Yeah I edited in that it's up to build 78, it is the same prog I am using as well I double checked that
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-February-2013 at 18:07.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

dupes (duplicated games I only had one copy of each game and didn't have another copy of the game from a different region)

The Wii has a huge selection of games, though I admit there is a lot of naff games, but there are also a lot of really good to fantastic games as well, shame the controls put lots of people off and most think that most games are motion games, fact is that's just not true, some games can use GC pads or the classic controller (sometimes optional) lots of games use the wii mote and it's partner like any other normal controller, there are a number of light gun type games as well again not motion games, there are still a few motion only games, but the system as a whole varies it's controls throughout

The biggest downside to the Wii for me is the distance the censor bar can pick up the Wii motes is a little short

/\ sorry got a lil off topic

Yeah I edited in that it's up to build 78, it is the same prog I am using as well I double checked that
    I was confused on the Fat32 partitioning, I was being dum so I forgot it was a max of 4GB file size, not partition size

About Wii Motion Plus... is USB Loader GX any good with it? Just wondering for the few Zelda games and stuff

EDIT: Yeah I get the splitting now it happened with Epic Mickey 2 by a small fraction (50 mb)

It came out like this with the tool you mentioned

Sorry the size was so big I estimated badly
    Last edited by ndsplayer19576; 27th-February-2013 at 22:42.