Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: USB Loaders and other mods for Wii?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah I thought it was just ndsplayer19576 shame may advice of updating the systems mods falls on deaf ears

As the USB Loader itself doesn't actually do alot except forward the instructions to DIOS MIOS it will not be a fault of the USB Loader itself it will be a system mod that is either out of date or has yet to be installed

If ndsplayer19576 does deside to use ModMii though don't forget to also re-install DIOS MIOS afterwards

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Also If The If The USB/SD Partition Isn't Set To 0 DIOS MIOS Won't See Past That,There Is A DM Booter Available Too,But It's Straight Forward,No Fancy GUI,But It Boots Up Faster Because The DOL Is Small,I Prefer It Most Of The Time,And Yeah, I Already Knew That The Loaders Are Just Forwarders For DIOS MIOS.
    Last edited by 47iscool; 3rd-March-2013 at 23:16.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

That was pointed at ndsplayer19576 really

The loader will not make much difference at all if the game is going to crash out with an error

I do believe that ndsplayer19576 has had other GC games working so he must be using the first partition, but if it wasn't formatted correctly that will also cause issues (not particually in every game but some games will either refuse to boot or error out or just play badly), already had another user that didn't have the correct Fat32 format, but already gone through that with ndsplayer19576

Only thing left is it was badly modded in the first place hence I advise using modmii
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-March-2013 at 23:36.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    That was pointed at ndsplayer19576 really

The loader will not make much difference at all if the game is going to crash out with an error

I do believe that ndsplayer19576 has had other GC games working so he must be using the first partition, but if it wasn't formatted correctly that will also cause issues (not particually in every game but some games will either refuse to boot or error out or just play badly), already had another user that didn't have the correct Fat32 format, but already gone through that with ndsplayer19576

Only thing left is it was badly modded in the first place hence I advise using modmii
    Maybe I did have a bad mod; I had to softmod my Wii twice since the first time the homebrew channel never loaded after about the couple of months with LetterBomb. I followed youtube so it may be just an outdated guide.

It could also be my SD like 47iscool pointed out

I still don't get why USB loader GX uses DIOS MIOS for SD loading, even though the lite version is for SD loading

Like I said before, cfg-Loader worked fine with DIOS MIOS Lite 2.4 (that was last month when I tested it). It was fine with default since I used the Optimised format on DMToolbox then (where it had the sys folder).

I remember DeathChicken pointing out an error with DIOS MIOS Lite and USB Loader GX about "Incorrect config version, please update your loader!" even though his USB Loader GX was up to date and a beta was required (not my first choice but I have to give it a go when I need to)

After all this hassle I might go back to cfg-Loader since it worked with that game.

P.S. Sorry for the long post I needed to get more info in after a while
    Last edited by ndsplayer19576; 4th-March-2013 at 15:51.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ndsplayer19576 View Post
    Maybe I did have a bad mod; I had to softmod my Wii twice since the first time the homebrew channel never loaded after about the couple of months with LetterBomb. I followed youtube so it may be just an outdated guide.

It could also be my SD like 47iscool pointed out

I still don't get why USB loader GX uses DIOS MIOS for SD loading, even though the lite version is for SD loading

Like I said before, cfg-Loader worked fine with DIOS MIOS Lite 2.4 (that was last month when I tested it). It was fine with default since I used the Optimised format on DMToolbox then (where it had the sys folder).

I remember DeathChicken pointing out an error with DIOS MIOS Lite and USB Loader GX about "Incorrect config version, please update your loader!" even though his USB Loader GX was up to date and a beta was required (not my first choice but I have to give it a go when I need to)

After all this hassle I might go back to cfg-Loader since it worked with that game.

P.S. Sorry for the long post I needed to get more info in after a while
    Only if you install the full DIOS MIOS and load from SD it is ment to use the lite version for SD if it can't then you have something wrong with the mod or the new lite version may have issues so you could try rolling back to the previous version, I use the full version because I use my USB drive for everything

You shouldn't have any issue with the SD if you had taken my advice though for formatting it in the first place

If everything is setup correctly in the first place there should be no reason for everything to work
    Last edited by Zorlon; 4th-March-2013 at 16:28.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Only if you install the full DIOS MIOS and load from SD it is ment to use the lite version for SD if it can't then you have something wrong with the mod or the new lite version may have issues so you could try rolling back to the previous version, I use the full version because I use my USB drive for everything

You shouldn't have any issue with the SD if you had taken my advice though for formatting it in the first place

If everything is setup correctly in the first place there should be no reason for everything to work
    Um... just one problem: I no longer have the older DIOS MIOS and the Lite version. They've removed the links as well, there's only 2.8

What's the *NEEK DI one for?

Thanks
    EP Points

2.4 Link: http://dl.qj.net/dl.php?fid=130787&new=1

If You Can't Get Anything To Work Download EaseUS Partition Master,Back Up All Your Data,Go To USB Or SD &
    Format,Set Cluster Size To 32KB For USB Or 64KB For SD,Make Sure You Set The Partition "Active".
    Last edited by 47iscool; 5th-March-2013 at 02:41.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

DIOS MIOS for all standard real nand versions (for USB and SD use)

Normal versions are for real nand
    *NEEK DI versions are for emulated nand, there are 2 variants SNEEK and UNEEK hence the * on the description

For you I recommend the normal versions I don't want to confuse you even more

But for a lil more info

SNEEK: the original version. You won't be able to access your SD card, since that is where the Wii is told that the NAND resides.
    UNEEK: The only difference is that the SD card is now accessible. The NAND resides on a USB drive instead of the SD card. I should note that I have not been able to successfully launch much homebrew or any of my VC/WiiWare titles stored on my SD. I still prefer the NAND to be stored on the USB drive, though.
    SNEEK+DI: Structured the same as SNEEK (so no SD card access), but the DI module allows for game loading from a USB drive. The reason that this is amazing is because the game will appear in the disc channel, and for all intents and purposes, the Wii thinks it's an actual disc. Games that suffer from very annoying compatibillity issues like CoD3, Red Steel, Sam & Max (season 1, but still not season 2. it's an oddball game , it seems), Monster Hunter Tri, Metroid Prime: Trilogy, etc. work without issue or without fiddling with settings.
    UNEEK+DI: Structured the same as UNEEK, but now with game-loading capabilities.
    P.S. alot of that info is out of date as games like Metroid Prime: Trilogy no longer have those issues outlined in the quote, I'm sure the same applies to the others but not played those recently to double check (just tested Sam & Max out interest and yeah it's fixed, to work on defaults also)

I use nand emulation myself but not for booting retail disc games from USB, I do use it for nand installed games though like WiiWare, I can also use it for save data but as of yet have not done that, only for testing have I bothered, my emulated nand is stored on USB (can also be on SD) this saves a lot of space for other things on the real nand

Edit: I'm going to roll back to version 2.7 myself for different reasons, mostly that in-game resets are not working and I was sure they worked fine in 2.7 though.

Edit: That didn't seem to help maybe I was wrong or I was on 2.6 at the time.

As it happens the game I need that to work on I own anyway

Edit: Went back to 2.8 this time I had a disc in the drive and it works like that it just doesn't without a disc

Forgot how much I like Eternal Darkness, a great fun and messed up game
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-March-2013 at 20:21.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by 47iscool View Post
    2.4 Link: http://dl.qj.net/dl.php?fid=130787&new=1

If You Can't Get Anything To Work Download EaseUS Partition Master,Back Up All Your Data,Go To USB Or SD &
    Format,Set Cluster Size To 32KB For USB Or 64KB For SD,Make Sure You Set The Partition "Active".
    Thanks for the 2.4 link. I'll post again to say whether it works or not with USB Loader GX. I'll format my SD to that when all else fails and possibly my USB too to see if that the SD is the problem

EDIT: Actually I did that now and nothing really changed

Zorlon, thanks for the info on DIOS MIOS and what you do with your Wii/GCN stuff

Although unlikely, I'll go to ModMii for setting up an emulated nand for some stuff I might want to try out.

P.S. About me saying that the ios' were up-to-date, actually the cIOSes weren't so I have followed an outdated guide therefore meaning that ModMii will get me those cIOSes up-to-date.

Also, before you tell me, I know that an IOS is "Internal Operating System" and cIOS is the same except it's a custom one instead with different functions depending on the no.(if memory serves)

EDIT: I'll give USB loading with the same game a go as well since I'm using fat32 now and I'll let you know what happens
    Last edited by ndsplayer19576; 11th-March-2013 at 16:26.