Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default What's new with Wii modding???

Finally got round to fixing my Wii 2TB HDD to have a Fat32 (32k) partition, still in the middle of shifting files though

Anyway I know we can run...

Wii games from HDD
    GameCube games from HDD
    *Multi Disc GC swops/swaps
    *Multi Disc GC installs

Though you do sacrifice running them from disc I noticed with DIOS MIOS (glad I still have a GameCube not so bad if you don't own GC games I guess and own a Wii that does not support DVD-R/+R reading (I have both though))

ANSWERED ALL THE Q's MYSELF slow pokes

***Can Wads be installed to HDD/ran from HDD yet? (I know we can set some USB loaders to read channel installs but you soon run out of space installing Wads to internal mem or SD)
    Nope only from SD or NAND sucks for me My NAND is full of saves (too many saves) and little else and my SD is only 2GB

Can we have multi disc GameCube games on HDD like Metal Gear Solid? <- (I mention this game because you do not have a save at the end of the disc, you need to change discs in-game) [Automatic .ISO switching for multi disc titles How is this done what setup do you need to enable this]
    EDIT:-
    Once you have both discs in iso format either compressed or RAW (extracted will not work) pop both into the same folder, name disc 1 game.iso and disc 2 named disc2.iso

P.S. I was testing this first by naming disc 1 disc2 and disc 1 game.iso but this does not work, thankfully i had a save near the end of disc 1 anyway

Also how to install a multi disc game so you get to chose what disc you want to play as most if not all GC multi disc games share the same ID?
    EDIT:-
    You do this by adding a 2 at the end of the path name for disc 2
    e.g. for Resident Evil Code Veronica X PAL
    games/GCDP08/game.iso for disc 1
    games/GCDP082/game.iso for disc 2

You can rename game.iso to disc2.iso and pop it in the same folder as disc 1 (disc 1 should remain named game.iso) if you want auto swop/swap to work

To be able to do the above so the Wii did not report the game was already installed is move the GCDP08/disc.iso path to a XXXXX folder via PC, installed the next disc then back to the PC (add the 2 at the end of the folder for disc 2 if it has not already been done) move the the first disc back to the games folder, now the wii will show both discs

At the moment I'm using a build of USB loaderGX that works just fine with Wii and GC games from USB HDD
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-February-2013 at 21:43.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Does auto-swap for multi-disc games work with other loaders or is it manual setup?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

the loader does not control that no it's just DIOS MIOS that does the auto disc changes

make sure you have a version of Dios Miso that supports this though as of Dios Mios 2.6 auto disc change was enabled (I'm using 2.7)

also note that two disc games must be in iso format to work, can be a compressed iso though (I'm not talking about zipping) you just can't use an extracted iso for two disc disc games

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    the loader does not control that no it's just DIOS MIOS that does the auto disc changes

make sure you have a version of Dios Miso that supports this though as of Dios Mios 2.6 auto disc change was enabled (I'm using 2.7)

also note that two disc games must be in iso format to work, can be a compressed iso though (I'm not talking about zipping) you just can't use an extracted iso for two disc disc games
    So can it also be done with a .gcm or is it not possible?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

gcm is iso, just rename gcm to iso

if you didn't want to risk compressing the iso just rename the gcm to game.iso and it will work just like any other iso
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-February-2013 at 13:33.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

gcm is iso, just rename gcm to iso

if you didn't want to risk compressing the iso just rename the gcm to game.iso and it will work just like any other iso
    Ok, I was just wondering if you could do it with game.gcm instead of game.iso

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

just with a game.iso

it's very picky to file names used with DIOS MIOS but as gcm is the same format you just name the gcm file game.iso instead of game.gcm

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

just with a game.iso

it's very picky to file names used with DIOS MIOS but as gcm is the same format you just name the gcm file game.iso instead of game.gcm
    Ok thanks for the info, although I don't really need to do that since I have GC Iso Tool to make it an iso in case things go wrong when I rename the gcm file to an iso file

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

lol gcm is iso but you do what you like

I use compressed ISO's i.e. junk removed but if for some reason that messes and game up that I have a gcm of I would just rename it

the gcm extension was just what was used when the dumps first got made via BBA on the GameCube, it is basically a streamed dump of the entire disc creating a disc image

To burn that you can just point burning software to the gcm and the burning software seen it as a standard DVD image or if you wanted to make it easier you renamed the gcm to iso and burned that way

No converting needed as the gcm is an iso with the wrong file ext

Thats back on the GameCube though I used the methods back then long before there was a Wii
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-February-2013 at 12:20.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

lol gcm is iso but you do what you like

I use compressed ISO's i.e. junk removed but if for some reason that messes and game up that I have a gcm of I would just rename it

the gcm extension was just what was used when the dumps first got made via BBA on the GameCube, it is basically a streamed dump of the entire disc creating a disc image

To burn that you can just point burning software to the gcm and the burning software seen it as a standard DVD image or if you wanted to make it easier you renamed the gcm to iso and burned that way

No converting needed as the gcm is an iso with the wrong file ext

Thats back on the GameCube though I used the methods back then long before there was a Wii
    Does the Wii also use BBA when playing GCN games via an adapter or something?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nope NGC BBA network access does not work on Wii, and asides from PSO 1&2 aswell as 3 on a private server I don't know of any network enabled games that still have active servers

Please stick to one thread from now on it's getting a bit silly juggling several threads for the Wii all for the same user

I will close this thread I answered the OP's Q's and the OP happens to me as well lol

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]