Thread: i need confirmation regarding dolphin rom

Thanks
    EP Points

Default i need confirmation regarding dolphin rom

so i got melee for dolphin and extracted it only to find that it's a .gcm, i tested it to c if it wrked and it gave me a direct3D 9 video backend and it remains black screen.

ik my machine is terrible to run this stuff but it has barely the minimun settings to atleast get it to show up and then slow down heavily during game.

however my friend has a comp 10x greater than mine, running on 8 cores and up to date graphix card (idk the specs specifically but it's good enuf to run far cry 3 on highest graphix)

to skip to my point, i ran the .gcm on his comp and yields the same result, i changed the extension to .iso and to no avail. it will still give direct3D xx and remain in the black screen.

if any1 knows a solution to get it running, i'd appreciate it and a million thx in advance in case i don't say ty l8r on.

side note: i dl'd soul calibur 2 to test it as it came out as a .iso by default and it shows up on my comp, main menu, practice mode, etc.

Thanks

.gcm is a Gamecube extension, it's normal to find games with this, as for your Direct3D problem, make sure your graphics card is up-to-date as well as "directx" software. Mine plays fine on direct3D.

If these suggestions don't help post back and let us know.
    Don't forget the THANKS button on your way out!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by K1nG JaY xX View Post
    .gcm is a Gamecube extension, it's normal to find games with this, as for your Direct3D problem, make sure your graphics card is up-to-date as well as "directx" software. Mine plays fine on direct3D.

If these suggestions don't help post back and let us know.
    aight thx, i just needed to know if it was the .gcm or the GC problem. ik that i don't have the comp to run it but i was just testing out dolphin so i'd have somethng to look forward to when i get a new comp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tenindo46 View Post
    aight thx, i just needed to know if it was the .gcm or the GC problem. ik that i don't have the comp to run it but i was just testing out dolphin so i'd have somethng to look forward to when i get a new comp
    For the most part you just have to tinker with the settings within the emulator, so that's what it probably is..

As for what you said how your friends computer did the same thing ( black screen ) it may be the ROM, I can download and check it out in a little bit and let you know.

But as I said in most cases you just need to tinker with the graphics settings, which we can help you with here once you get ready for that step.
    You said it was Super Smash Bros Melee?

Thanks

You don't have to "tinker with the settings". The game doesn't need anything special to just run from the start. If the game is starting out with a black screen as he says, there is something else wrong. Unfortunately, the original poster didn't bother to help us help him by mentioning his PC specs, so this is all pointless. My guess is that he has a bad game rip or his PC is just too old and is not supported.
    Last edited by jack101; 10th-February-2013 at 05:34.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by jack101 View Post
    You don't have to "tinker with the settings". The game doesn't need anything special to just run from the start. If the game is starting out with a black screen as he says, there is something else wrong. Unfortunately, the original poster didn't bother to help us help him by mentioning his PC specs, so this is all pointless. My guess is that he has a bad game rip or his PC is just too old and is not supported.
    You can at least get some extra speed out of it while losing some or lots of emulator accuracy depending on your config settings. I like to use OpenMP as Dolphin sped up without errors as far as I know since my PC can handle it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jack101 View Post

If you bothered to read the post, he tried it on his friends computer and it did the same thing, implying that his friends computer can handle Dolphin no prob..
    however my friend has a comp 10x greater than mine, running on 8 cores and up to date graphix card (idk the specs specifically but it's good enuf to run far cry 3 on highest graphix)
    Black screens can be a number of things, not ONLY a bad rip or an old pc, on many occasions people have post with black screen problems and we figured it out in the settings.

Which is also why I offered to test the game out to ensure it's not a bad rip.
    Last edited by K1nG JaY xX; 10th-February-2013 at 14:55.

Thanks
    EP Points

K1nG i'd appreciate it if u test out super smash bros melee rom to c if it wrks, i'll list out my emu settings when i have the time, thx again.

as i stated, my friend's comp ik is extremely up to date in terms of specs cuz he's more of a computer genius than i am. i wanted to know that if the black screen was due to the .gcm extension but it's not (ruled out cuz it happened on my friend's comp too)

my computer is too old yes i am aware as my specs r the following:

dual core 2.13GHz out of the 3GHz that i need minimum for dolphin
    GC is a radeon HD 5770
    2GB of ram
    and it does support Direct3D 11 which still gives the black screen

as i said b4, its somethng i have to look forward to after investing in a better computer, i just asked this question cuz i tested out soul calibur 2; which came out to b a .iso, to c if it wrked and it did.
    Last edited by tenindo46; 12th-February-2013 at 11:47.

Thanks

K1nG i'd appreciate it if u test out super smash bros melee rom to c if it wrks, i'll list out my emu settings when i have the time, thx again.

as i stated, my friend's comp ik is extremely up to date in terms of specs cuz he's more of a computer genius than i am. i wanted to know that if the black screen was due to the .gcm extension but it's not (ruled out cuz it happened on my friend's comp too)

my computer is too old yes i am aware as my specs r the following:

dual core 2.13GHz out of the 3GHz that i need minimum for dolphin
    GC is a radeon HD 5770
    2GB of ram
    and it does support Direct3D 11 which still gives the black screen

as i said b4, its somethng i have to look forward to after investing in a better computer, i just asked this question cuz i tested out soul calibur 2; which came out to b a .iso, to c if it wrked and it did.
    Sorry i've gotten back so late, I just tested super smash bros melee, and it works perfect on my pc.

Could you post pictures of your Dolphin settings?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to K1nG JaY xX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by K1nG JaY xX View Post
    Sorry i've gotten back so late, I just tested super smash bros melee, and it works perfect on my pc.

Could you post pictures of your Dolphin settings?
    srry for the extremely long wait, i'm wrse than u when it comes to watching threads XD. anyway here r the pics to my settings in dolphin: the settings
    Last edited by tenindo46; 18th-February-2013 at 21:52.

Thanks
    EP Points

srry for the extremely long wait, i'm wrse than u when it comes to watching threads XD. anyway here r the pics to my settings in dolphin: the settings
    I can't see the settings because of my internet, but the problems, 2 of which were mentioned before, are likely to be:

Bad dumps, pc specs, emulator version (i.e. try a stable version instead of a development one) or settings. Also try disabling hacks when configuring graphics and possibly cheats if they're on.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ndsplayer19576 View Post
    I can't see the settings because of my internet, but the problems, 2 of which were mentioned before, are likely to be:

Bad dumps, pc specs, emulator version (i.e. try a stable version instead of a development one) or settings. Also try disabling hacks when configuring graphics and possibly cheats if they're on.
    i'm not that advanced in terms of terminology to this but if u could explain "bad dumps" that'd b great. i am aware that my pc is no good for this emulator but it has enuf to get the roms to display and run with heavy lag. as mentioned b4, soul calibur 2 shows up fine but SSBM doesn't. also this is something to look forward to when i get a new comp so i'd rather solve this backend black screen now rather than later.

if u do know of a stable version of dolphin i can run plz specify version number and i'll go search for it. i want to eliminate all possible causes to why this is happening to me specifically. again thanks for helping

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

i'm not that advanced in terms of terminology to this but if u could explain "bad dumps" that'd b great.
    A game that has been incorrectly dumped and the image contains errors.
    Even scene release groups can make mistakes and release something that isn't perfect (although it can be nuked), and individuals (not groups) that dump games can possibly share something that isn't perfect.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

i'm not that advanced in terms of terminology to this but if u could explain "bad dumps" that'd b great. i am aware that my pc is no good for this emulator but it has enuf to get the roms to display and run with heavy lag. as mentioned b4, soul calibur 2 shows up fine but SSBM doesn't. also this is something to look forward to when i get a new comp so i'd rather solve this backend black screen now rather than later.

if u do know of a stable version of dolphin i can run plz specify version number and i'll go search for it. i want to eliminate all possible causes to why this is happening to me specifically. again thanks for helping
    deadlegion has explained bad dumps.

The stable version you should try is at the top of the dolphin emulator download page, named "Dolphin 3.5" then download the one you need (x64 if you have a 64-bit computer or x86 if you have either 64 or 32-bit)

If your computer is 64-bit, you should see a folder in your main drive named "Program Files x86"

I really recommend that you upgrade your PC.

EDIT: If you get errors, try the one below it, instead it's called "Dolphin 3.0"

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ndsplayer19576 View Post
    deadlegion has explained bad dumps.

The stable version you should try is at the top of the dolphin emulator download page, named "Dolphin 3.5" then download the one you need (x64 if you have a 64-bit computer or x86 if you have either 64 or 32-bit)

If your computer is 64-bit, you should see a folder in your main drive named "Program Files x86"

I really recommend that you upgrade your PC.

EDIT: If you get errors, try the one below it, instead it's called "Dolphin 3.0"
    ther were alot of 3.5-xxx's so i went with the plain 3.5v at http://www.dolphin-emulator.com/ which was the 2nd last spot and that still gave me backend black screen with all hax turned off and same with 3.0 both tried with all 3 renderers.

idk how else to narrow the problem down to :/ my friend's comp having 6 cores running at 3.33GHz and up-to-date GC idk how he still got video backend black screen...i guess i'll ask my friend to do an extensive investigation on his comp by fiddling arnd with the dolphin settings and trial/error.

btw i gave thx to deadlegion and urslf for the hlp, cuz i realize thx is like crack cocaine on here XD