Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESR help for noobie!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

my drive is a laptop sata hp dvdram gt31l mr52, i looked around my store yesterday they had a third option sony dvd-r. now i heard on twenty youtube videos the some old song [use sony, use sony brand] is the sony dvd-r's as good as people on youtube and ps3hax, psx zone, sksapps all say it is since my store is selling them cheaper for ten then for ten memorex?
    In the cursed year 1943, Crawley returned.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 166 Posts
    EP Points

Go with either Taiyo Yuden's (JVC) or Verbatim if you want good quality, Also DVD-R in my experience plays better than DVD+R when it comes to playing backup ps2 games. I've modded a few ps2s recently some of them are a hit or miss when playing with DVD+R's. 99 Percent of the time DVD-Rs work flawlessly. Memorex was good name back in the day for PS1 games.

I notice my uploads are taken down, i am the the process of reuploading
    If you like any of my uploads, be sure to hit the "Thanks" button
    Every month i try to add new games. For my list of uploads, check out here
    Need your console modded?, check out my store here

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'll get some memorex's today and let you guys know the results.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just for info but looked it up SCPH-500xx onwards had DVD+R compat but older models do not due to the fact there was no DVD+R discs then and or they had just come out and sony did not include DVD+R compat back then.

Every PS2 slim model I have modded will read DVD+R just fine and run smoother than DVD-R including Verbatims as that is all I use myself but as I said it's not just the brand name, they had both been been of high quality for both DVD-R and DVD+R.

Most the PS2 fat models I have modded could not read DVD+R discs at all or very poorly.

I couldn't even tell you how many I have modded in the past.

The ability to read those discs though also depends on the PS2 hardware aswell, like I said before not all PS2 hardware can read DVD+R at all.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 9th-February-2013 at 12:45.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by xEx0diUsx View Post
    Go with either Taiyo Yuden's (JVC) or Verbatim if you want good quality, Also DVD-R in my experience plays better than DVD+R when it comes to playing backup ps2 games. I've modded a few ps2s recently some of them are a hit or miss when playing with DVD+R's. 99 Percent of the time DVD-Rs work flawlessly. Memorex was good name back in the day for PS1 games.
    You have to be careful of Verbatim.
    I haven't used much of their stuff for a while now (except for some DL discs made in Singapore that I still have)...but for a few years now their DVD5 media could be made in India, or could be crappy CMC stuff (which is made in Taiwan I think, but I'm not sure).

So not only do you have to ID the manufacturer, you also should consider the country of origin.
    China is mostly bad.
    Some Taiwan is bad (like CMC).
    India is really bad imo.

And if you buy online by wary of fake media...although maybe that doesn't happen much anymore, I dunno
    I remember years ago there were some fake Taiyo Yuden's around, and I've seen people talk about fake Verbatim's (but it's possible they were just talking about the CMC crap).

It's difficult to say any particular brand of media is excellent these days imo, as most of the brands I see use more than one manufacturer, or change manufacturers.

Taiyo Yuden's are good, and I think I recall somebody saying (it was a few years back) that some Sony media was actually made by them. I can't confirm that myself though.

I just stick to Ritek myself, it's cheap and I rarely get coasters.
    All my images are backed up anyway so if a cheap disc fails somewhere down the track I can replace it easily.

Spoiler warning:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Stick to known good retailers like Amazon sold by Amazon

Basicly if you find your media is good and affordable then stick with that

Making basic checks though with the ID and Manufacturer will give you the Made in info anyway if you check it

Brand names don't amount to much now, but you can check them out with the above info from VideoHelp (more info in post #7)

There are tons of Verbatims as much as any other brand including yes CMC, that I have managed to avoid
    Last edited by Zorlon; 9th-February-2013 at 15:01.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys just tested a game that had lost of glitches on first write new copy of spyro enter the dragonfly at 4x on memorex dvd-r games works great now only problem in when my laser needs to read new data for area so it has missing area for 2 seconds but otherwise perfect copy no lagg or misplaced voices.
    disc ided has cmc mag ad3.

Thanks

I got a couple stacks of 100 Office Depot brand DVD 5s and also a stack of 20 DVD 9s. I've burned dozens of ESR patched games, and they always work. I can definitely vouch for the office depot brand DVDs. Also they are really cheap. My PS2 is also a fat PS2, forget the exact model. Also I use Imgburn, its freeware. http://www.imgburn.com/. I use the same program to make ISOs, also I never have any problems.

I know this is a dumb question to ask, but are you patching the ISO with ESR patcher before burning it? Because what the OP is describing is exactly what happens when you DONT patch the ISO with ESR patcher prior to burning. And if its a DVD-9 game, you need to use Toxic DL patcher + ESR prior to burning to a DVD-9.
    Last edited by gamerdude21; 14th-February-2013 at 23:54.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Again brand names mean nothing, every brand of disc has good and bad

If you read the thread then you know that the OP has ESR patched the games
    Last edited by Zorlon; 15th-February-2013 at 20:02.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries

quick sorta off beat question dvd 9 that's the dual layers right? can my model of ps2 read dual layered dvd-r's and how would they play on it good or bad, like smooth or lots of stuttering? found that some of my games that used a lot of cgi cutscenes like my backup of shin megami tensei devil summoner 1 both maxell stuttered along with memorex with the latter a rare stop and go after ten seconds on single layer -r's maxell during gameplay.
    Last edited by soratron; 20th-February-2013 at 20:34.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yes DVD9 = DL

Not all PS2's can handle DVD9-R discs in fact most can't it is too much for the drive to handle and in most cases will lag badly and stress the laser out

DVD5 rips will work ok though

EDIT

Good RIPS will not take anything from the game, these will either take alt language files out or just span the game over 2 or 3 discs, I have a few rips in the compat list for ESR

None of the ones I have tested had any cut scenes removed, a few are spanned over more than one disc, the only game I did burn onto a DL DVD was xenosaga Episode 1 but that lagged on loading and very bad lag in FMV so I found a 3 disc rip kit and played the game perfect from start to end
    Last edited by Zorlon; 20th-February-2013 at 20:53.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries

how large are dvd5's I know regulars are 4.7gb and DL are 8.0gb so what are dvd5?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

DVD5 are 4.70GB

DVD-1 Single Sided Single Layer 1.46GB Mini DVD
    DVD-2 Single Sided Dual Layer 2.66GB Mini DVD
    DVD-3 Double Sided Single Layer 2.92GB Mini DVD
    DVD-4 Double Sided Dual Layer 5.32GB Mini DVD
    DVD-5 Single Sided Single Layer 4.70GB Standard DVD
    DVD-9 Single Sided Dual Layer 8.54GB Standard DVD
    DVD-10 Double Sided Single Layer 9.40GB Standard DVD
    DVD-14 Double Sided Single Layer + Dual Layer 13.24GB Standard DVD
    DVD-18 Double Sided Dual Layer 17.08GB Standard DVD

Mini DVD's = Smaller sized DVD, basicly GameCube discs also used in some cam corders
    Double Sided = think of a 2 normal DVD stuck together, basically both sides of the disc have data on them and no sides have a label (usually there is small print on the inner ring that does not hold data)
    Dual Layer = 2 layers or data on the same side of the disc
    Single.... I think you will get the single bits

double sided discs are not common at all you do find the odd retail DVD film on those

DVD5 and DVD1 are both single sided/single layer DVD-R or DVD+R
    DVD1 is for the mini DVD's DVD5 is for the standard DVD's

there is no DVD 6 to 8 or DVD 11 to 13 or 15 to 17

DVD 1,2,5 & 9 are the common ones
    DVD 3, 4, 10, 14 & 18 are very uncommon

the next step up is Blue Ray
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-March-2013 at 13:06.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post: