Thread: (curiousity question) Why isn't DeSmuME able to run gbc roms?

Thanks

Default (curiousity question) Why isn't DeSmuME able to run gbc roms?

I mean, I'm just going to use vba or something for gbc files, so it's not a huge issue (or even really a little one) but I was just surprised when I went to run Revelations only to have it crash the emulator. Does anyone know if there's a particular reason it can't run gbc files, or...?

Thanks

Desmume is a Nintendo DS emulator, last I saw it can't run anything but NDS roms. ( And a lil homebrew )
    But no GBA,GBC roms.
    Excuse me if i'm wrong!
    Last edited by K1nG JaY xX; 5th-February-2013 at 23:30.
    Don't forget the THANKS button on your way out!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I don't emulate DS games, but if the fact that Desmume does not play GB games, then it would be because the NDS contains Gameboy hardware. Why bother emulating two CPU's in one program, when there are emus for the others already?

Thanks
    EP Points

this is why we have the visual boy advance emulator, right?

it'll run any gb, gbc, or gba game.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by K1nG JaY xX View Post
    Desmume is a Nintendo DS emulator, last I saw it can't run anything but NDS roms. ( And a lil homebrew )
    But no GBA,GBC roms.
    Excuse me if i'm wrong!
    desmume does run gba roms in the classic format that the ds does, I forget which screen it runs them on.

As I said before, it's not actually an issue, I just find it a bit odd.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarius View Post
    desmume does run gba roms in the classic format that the ds does, I forget which screen it runs them on.

As I said before, it's not actually an issue, I just find it a bit odd.
    I used to play Sonic Advance [GBA] on my DS lite, and it came out on the top screen.

EDIT:

My bad for not even noticing how everyone said things along the lines of "Desmume can't play GBA games".

As Jazzmarazz said, you might as well use a different emu for gba since there already are a couple I think. I highly recommend VBA-M, with these versions being able to link up with Dolphin emu, even though there are still problems with some GCN games that support GBA.

Although you could try loading an R4 via Desmume's R4 FAT building feature and use homebrew like Zorlon said. Still, I bet it will crash at some point.
    Last edited by ndsplayer19576; 9th-February-2013 at 16:11. Reason: Stupid mistakes.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I mean, I'm just going to use vba or something for gbc files, so it's not a huge issue (or even really a little one) but I was just surprised when I went to run Revelations only to have it crash the emulator. Does anyone know if there's a particular reason it can't run gbc files, or...?
    3DS real hardware can supports NDS, DSi & 3DS
    DSi real hardware can supports DS & DSi (Nintendo stopped supporting GBA on this machine forward)
    DS real hardware can supports GBA & DS (Nintendo stopped supporting GB/SGB/GBC on this machine forward)
    GBA real hardware can supports GBA & GB/SGB/GBC
    GBC real hardware can supports GB/SGB/GBC
    SGB real hardware can supports GB/SGB
    GB real hardware can supports GB

DeSmuME emulates the DS console hardware and no other console hardware therefore only plays DS and GBA games so blame Nintendo for not having GameBoy backwards compat on there DS not the emulator coders

The only methods a DS could play GB carts was via an unofficial pass through device that pluged into slot 2 and had a GB port for the GB games otherwise you can't even fit one of those carts into the DS, the other way is emulation but why if you are emulating the DS would you make it run even slower by making the emulators emulate another system lol

Did you lot not know this?

DSi and 3DS have the Shop you can buy GB to GBA games from, but at the end of the day that is emulation via DLC, although I use a flash kit and can emulate GB to GBA the DLC versions tend to run better, e.g. GBA software does not fill the upper screen if it's emulated via a flash kit (It's also not perfect) but direct on the machine it fills the screen and runs perfect (well the 3DS the top screen is wider so on that machine GBA does not fuill the screen, black lines down each side...) I only know because I got a few free GBA and NES games from nintendo when I got my 3DS (because I got it early on)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 7th-February-2013 at 22:50.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I was not aware that the DS system could not run gb games. I could swear that I have memories of playing harvest moon on my ds lite. Oh well, thx for the info.

Thanks

I was not aware that the DS system could not run gb games. I could swear that I have memories of playing harvest moon on my ds lite. Oh well, thx for the info.
    The actual console ( DS lite ) can play gba games because it has a slot for it, but the emulators do not have that ability.
    Don't forget the THANKS button on your way out!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No problem just a lil supprised no one else said that to start with

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I think its because the original DS and DS Lite have GB Advance hardware built in to play Gameboy Advance games, much like the first PS3 has PS2 hardware in to play PS2 and PS1 games. The DSi and moving foward does not have GB hardware in it. The DS emulators (Desmume for instance) are directly trying to emulate the DS hardware alone. You're better off using VBA or VBA-M for Gameboy Advance games.