Thread: R4 for 3DS

Thanks

Default R4 for 3DS

Hi. I need help here getting R4i to work in 3DS.

This is the site where I got my product.
    http://ndsill.net/

When I copied everything correctly, it says on my 3DS that "An error has occurred. Please turn the power off" or something like that. I don't know how to fix this because it works in the store owner's 3DS. He showed it to me and the R4 works fine.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Moved to Everything Console.

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Your 3DS firmware is too high for the last update applied to the flash kit (Your 3DS has blocked that flash kit), unless you have a DS or DS lite then you can update the flash kit yourself and it should start to work.

Check what firmware your 3DS is using first, that flash kit can only be usable on a 3DS up to 4.5.0-10 if the flash kit has been updated, I am sure that was the last update by Nintendo though

Take it back and get them to update the flash kit, you can put eveything on it needed before doing that just download the R4I LL New 3DS4.5.0-10 & NDSi V1.4.5 patch is released(2012-12-13) from the site you linked us follow the instructions that come with it on where to put the update, take everything to the store and ask them to update the flash kit for you so it will work on your updated 3DS (You can not do this yourself as the current state of your 3DS has the flash kit blocked on the kits current firmware)

P.S. R4 flash kits suck for compat, but I guess that's too late.

Because they do suck you are best off getting a 3rd party Kernel by the name of WooD R4 after making the update and checking to see if it works with that kit (afterall all R4 flash kits now are badly done clones of a long gone flash kit)

http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/fl...r4-f31270.html has the latest version WooD R4

Best of luck with your new flash kit
    Last edited by Zorlon; 4th-February-2013 at 17:39.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Where do I check for the firmware? Also, I have a DS lite. What do I need to do to update the flash kit?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

the spanner icon is the settings area it tell you there what the 3DS firmware is up to once you click on it

As for what to do

just download the "R4I LL New 3DS4.5.0-10 & NDSi V1.4.5 patch is released(2012-12-13)" file from the site you linked us follow the instructions that come with it

Edit the link for the firmware is dead, I would say try and contact them but they have no contact details on there site

Reading up on your kit the update was removed it is now considered blocked as of 4.4.0-10, you are out of luck either just use that kit on your normal DS or ask for a refund

Do yourself a favor and get a SupercardDSTWO atleast then you will not be digging round for patches ect just to get a game working as you will end up doing a lot with any R4 flash kit

If there is a next time do some research before you buy
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-February-2013 at 12:17.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Ok thanks. I googled the patch but something tells me this is going to require another R4. I use a TTDS in my DS Lite, which could be the reason why the patch won't update (but I could be wrong with that).

That's my next best bet. Other than that, all hope is lost. Oh well...

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You run the update directly on the R4 not the TTDS, it should work fine on a DS Lite

Forget R4 though they do suck, so instead of looking to get another R4 go for the Supercard DSTWO if you go for a new kit http://eng.supercard.sc/ you will not regret it

More info on the SuperCard DS TWO http://eng.supercard.sc/manual/dstwo/
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-February-2013 at 16:58.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    P.S. R4 flash kits suck for compat,
    Curious, so far the 30+ games Ive checked out on mine (r41 gold 3ds) have all worked 100%. Maybe its a particular model of that make of flash cards that suck?
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nope I generalised to all, that's why there is such a thing as WoodR4 and a lot of patching, all the patching is not a normal thing either

30+ out the 1000+ isn't really a good example (there are about 6000 retail games though that does include duped games in other regions so apx 2000 unique games)

That and all the trouble shooting threads we get for R4 kits is more than enough as well as other forums that bigger hits for R4 kits
    Last edited by Zorlon; 14th-February-2013 at 10:45.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

As far as I can tell, the best R4 is from http://www.r4ids.cn/ They made an arrangement to officially support Wood, which has 99.8% compatibility according to http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/R4_compatibility_list. A recent Wood update also gave it real-time saving. I was looking into this recently because I was thinking of buying one, since it is around $25 less expensive then a Supercard DSTWO.

I also found another 3rd party release that was designed to update r4 clones that can run YSMenu/TTMenu. It's found here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/retrogame...leases.267243/
    Last edited by gennes; 22nd-February-2013 at 15:11.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

SuperDSTWO has a distinct advantage of having extra mem for emulators so it can emulate SNES and GBA aswell as the normal ones and be able to run DS software without patching, so none of the AP patching

I would of said get an AceKard2i but they have stopped there 3DS support

The extra you pay though is well worth it just for the amazing compat alone with no need to patch your games and still as cheap as a (New Release) retail game to be able to play all of the games for free (Not every single game there are games that require a GBA port add-on like Guitar Hero)

If you want a cheap cart then yeah R4 is the way to go

The original R4 had real time saves infact it was a very good flash kit but there are long gone now

P.S. you can usually get the cards cheaper if you go to http://www.digitalyeah.com

There price for the Supercard DSTWO is $40.99 (if you remember to put it in they also have a discount code to get an extra 12% off making it $36.07)

They do sell R4 kits as well if that really is your flavor

They are worth checking out if they can save you a bit of cash

I have ordered 3 flash kits in total from them 1x Acekard2i that I unfortionatally do not use now as the Acekard2i team have stopped 3DS support and 2x Supercard DSTWO kits that are both used in seperate 3DS consoles

They do take an age to arrive because they are shipped direct from china apx 4 weeks

Up to you what you get at the end of the day, yeah the Supercard DSWTO is the most expensive DS cart, because it does have the extra features that no other flash kit has, and a the best first party support (Not that I would mind using 3rd party support like WooDR4 or whatever else if I had a poor mans flash kit)

when I first started playing DS games I done that via a Passme with an original DS game in that and a GBA flash kit with the DS roms (I used the Original DS then) we have start at some point and if R4 does that for you for now at least then great

P.S. do remember not to update that 3DS or your kit will stop working, wait for the Flash kit to get an update before doing a 3DS update, Nintendo like to block flash kits with there updates
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-February-2013 at 15:46.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

have u tried the latest Wood V1.52 kernel, if this does not work, I think you will need to buy a new r4i gold card, from everything I've read, this r4i gold card is pretty famous for the best 3ds flashcart our there http://www.r4flashcart.com/8-wood-r4...d-ds-lite.html and that's where i got mine.
    Last edited by 3dsgamedemon; 3rd-September-2013 at 06:40.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I Linked Wood in post 3 and the latest is 1.56 if you want to update yours

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    I Linked Wood in post 3 and the latest is 1.56 if you want to update yours
    Does Wood Kernel work in just EU clones or can it be used on my bad China one?

My clone is stuck on 4.2.0-9X and they've removed the update pack for that version so I'm pretty lucky to get a copy

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

WooDR4 is not region restricted but it only works on certain R4 kits not all of them, in the link I provided has compat info

Best way is just to try it out (backup you Micro SD first naturally)

also best to format the Micro SD with a SD formatter first Micro SD cards become corrupt so easy from deleting and adding files or even using windows to format them

P.S. Wood will not enable any flash kit to work on a 3DS it will however improve DS game compat
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-February-2013 at 18:18.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]