Thread: Will this computer be able to run PS2 emulators and modern games in general?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Will this computer be able to run PS2 emulators and modern games in general?

Hello! I'm willing to buy a new computer, but I'm not exactly sure what to get to run PS2 emulators (preferably at max settings) so... I'd like to know the opinion of you guys.

I did some research and found some good stuff. So, I was wondering if I could get said emulator to work with this (the information below comes from a brazilian site, so, that's why some words are in portuguese):

Processor:

Processador AMD Phenom II X4 Quad-Core soquete AM3 3.4 Ghz, HT4000, cache 512 KB L2, 45nm SOI, 140W
    Video Card:

Radeon HD 7750 Black Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card, Core Clock: 900MHz, Stream Processors: 512 Stream Processors, Effective Memory Clock: 1125MHz (4.5Gbps), DirectX 11, OpenGL 4.2, 1x HDMI, 1x DisplayPort
    RAM:

RAM 4GB DDR3 1333MHz (PC3-10666)
    So... will I be fine with a machine like this...?

Also, what Motherboard, cooler and PSU should I get to go well with the hardware listed above...?

Thanks
    EP Points

Should be fine for PC gaming. Emulation, on the other hand, is much more CPU-intensive. Your CPU is probably fast enough for 80% of the games out there, but it is not unlikely that very demanding games (SoTC, Metal Gear Solid 2&3, Gran Turismo 4, GTA etc.) will experience slow-downs. If you can afford it, I would recommend a intel i5/i7 sandybridge/ivy-bridge CPU. They work like a charm on emulators in general but Intel CPUs are way more expensive than their AMD counterparts.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks for the answer.

Well, since those stuff are a bit too expensive for my taste (I just have checked it) Then I'll simply go with the aforementioned hardware on the first post.

So... my question remains. What Motherboard, PSU and cooler should I get to handle them...?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I recommend you don't get a cheap m/b brand (like asrock for example).

Gigabyte is a decent brand.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

You won't run PCSX2 at max settings with that rig, but you could run most games at native resolution, or maybe x2 native on some.

With a $800 budget you could build a rig that could max out PCSX2, providing you overclock your CPU. It would be considerably more powerful than your current rig.

Something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.72 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($50.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.64 @ Compuvest)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($51.24 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $800.53
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-10 19:43 EST-0500)

You should be able to get a 4.2-4.5ghz overclock on that CPU with that board + cooler.
    Last edited by gamerdude21; 11th-February-2013 at 00:47.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gamerdude21 View Post
    You won't run PCSX2 at max settings with that rig, but you could run most games at native resolution, or maybe x2 native on some.

With a $800 budget you could build a rig that could max out PCSX2, providing you overclock your CPU. It would be considerably more powerful than your current rig.

Something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.72 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($50.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.64 @ Compuvest)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($51.24 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $800.53
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-10 19:43 EST-0500)

You should be able to get a 4.2-4.5ghz overclock on that CPU with that board + cooler.
    You must be kidding me, man!
    Compare my fucking old system to him:
    Processador: Intel core 2 duo E8500 3.16 GHZ
    VGA: 9800gt 512mb
    RAM:4 gb DDR 3
    I can run almost 90% of ps2 games at full speed at 2x native. For example, i run the valkyrie profile 2 silmeria full speed at 2x native. While according to this site: http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php?titl...le_2:_Silmeria
    Valkyrie profile is a Very Intense game, needs a fast CPU and GPU. It will need at least a Core 2 duo @ 3.4GHz and a 9600GT or equivalent to maintain full speed throughout the game. However, the game has some bugs and will drop FPS to around the 20-50 range due to some errors and whatnots not yet fixed in this Revision of the emulator. Don't worry, it only happens in some areas of the game. To know more scroll down to see the Known Issues below. You can also hold triangle and X buttons while the game boots up to enable 525p mode in full/widescreen so interlacing can be disabled.

Most of ps2 games need to be configured to maintain stability and quality before you can play them. If your configuration is not suitable, you can not run any games whether your system is very strong. If you guys play Valkyrie profile 2 Silmeria before, you will know this bug:
    Lost Forest
    Type: GFX Glitches
    Affected Game Versions: All
    Description: Screen will have Black/Purple vertical lines everywhere and sometimes will be unable to see character.
    Solution: Not yet resolved! Use the map to see the monsters and platforms to get through it, If unable to see properly. The alternative would be to use Software Mode, though be warned that it will be very very slow...... You can also try setting Skipdraw in GSdx (see above in Windows Spec Comments) to a value of 4, you will notice some background flickering problems.
    But after editing one of the plugins, I was able to remove it completely.

So, Synnchan, do not worry about these comments above. Your system very powerful and can run ps2 games at full speed with 3x-6x native except for a few games that pcsx 2 is not supported yet.

ps: Sorry for my poor English.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well... I can't really buy stuff from Newegg since they only work with USA and don't ship to my country (Brazil)

Don't really know about the other sites, tho.

But anyway... take a look at this, guys:

http://www.terabyteshop.com.br/t-gam...-aerocool.ptml

I found this computer while browsing around the web. It's already complete, and it's on my area. The information is in portuguese, but you guys should be able to get the most important parts anyway. Will it do the job nicely...?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by synnchan View Post
    Well... I can't really buy stuff from Newegg since they only work with USA and don't ship to my country (Brazil)

Don't really know about the other sites, tho.

But anyway... take a look at this, guys:

http://www.terabyteshop.com.br/t-gam...-aerocool.ptml

I found this computer while browsing around the web. It's already complete, and it's on my area. The information is in portuguese, but you guys should be able to get the most important parts anyway. Will it do the job nicely...?
    Most definitely. That Ivy Bridge CPU is faster than the AMD Phenom II you initially wanted to buy. It will play 90 % of all PS2 out there with full speed with 2x-3x native resolution. But I presume that th rig can't be overclocked because it is no "K"-CPU, but I could be wrong. Definitely a good choice for PS2 or Wii emulation.