Thread: N64 Paper Mario crashing

Thanks

Default N64 Paper Mario crashing

I've been playing the N64 version of Paper Mario on my phone for the last couple of days. Running on the latest version on N64oid, I haven't been having any problems aside for the minor graphics glitches you would expect. I've really gotten into the game and now I'm experiencing crashes.

I'm on chapter 2 (I believe) in the Dry Dry Temple, where the upgrade box is. In the room for the box everything is kind of glitchy looking, but that's how a lot of the whole area looks. I can jump into the box and it'll ask my which character I want to upgrade. I'm trying to upgrade Bombette, so I choose her, and it goes through a little animation, slows, and crashes.

Has anyone had the same problem in this spot, and if so is there any way to fix it? Or am I going to have to skip upgrading this time around and hope it doesn't crash at other upgrade boxes?

Thanks in advance for any help

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by dritz33 View Post
    I've been playing the N64 version of Paper Mario on my phone for the last couple of days. Running on the latest version on N64oid, I haven't been having any problems aside for the minor graphics glitches you would expect. I've really gotten into the game and now I'm experiencing crashes.

I'm on chapter 2 (I believe) in the Dry Dry Temple, where the upgrade box is. In the room for the box everything is kind of glitchy looking, but that's how a lot of the whole area looks. I can jump into the box and it'll ask my which character I want to upgrade. I'm trying to upgrade Bombette, so I choose her, and it goes through a little animation, slows, and crashes.

Has anyone had the same problem in this spot, and if so is there any way to fix it? Or am I going to have to skip upgrading this time around and hope it doesn't crash at other upgrade boxes?

Thanks in advance for any help
    Don't have an Android phone myself, most people would suggest that you should try a different copy/region of Paper Mario or a different emu if any for your droid.

Similar crashing problems come up with project64 for Windows, I played Paper Mario until the end of the Epilogue where it kept on crashing after the cutscene of Peach held prisoner by Bowser.

Thanks
    EP Points

I had the same problem with project64 for windows too. It kept acting like it was to crash any second. I'll look for a different copy.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Moved to Everything Console>Mobile Devices

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Iamerror View Post
    I had the same problem with project64 for windows too. It kept acting like it was to crash any second. I'll look for a different copy.
    I've tried other copies and regions of the game on PJ64 and it still crashes at the exact same point. I might want to update to v1.7 beta, but I don't want to test anything unstable.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Going with the beta is worth a shot and just because it's called a beta doesn't say it is unstable, though yes it could be.

software and games with a beta status means that either it has known issues but close to the final product or that it is still in the testing stage and it may end up being the final product.

Keep hold of the last none beta aswell, there is no reason not to have both and no reason not to use the same save data with both

Wasn't aware this game had issues last I played it though was on the Wii via VC

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Going with the beta is worth a shot and just because it's called a beta doesn't say it is unstable, though yes it could be.

software and games with a beta status means that either it has known issues but close to the final product or that it is still in the testing stage and it may end up being the final product.

Keep hold of the last none beta aswell, there is no reason not to have both and no reason not to use the same save data with both

Wasn't aware this game had issues last I played it though was on the Wii via VC
    Only saying it was unstable due to it not being updated for a while on the main site, if the forums are speaking of it and its compatibility then let me know

Also signing up for an account in the forums is what really annoys me just to get a single program which is in pre-alpha stages and can mess stuff up more easily than a stable release

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I believe they are trying to charge people for the latest version via donations

I would guess that if there is a 1.7 version available to free forum members then it's an older build

A bit of googliing might score you a free copy, they are calling it donations so they are not considered selling it so I would not consider that illegally obtaining it

There is also a last build by Jabo who is no longer an active part of the PJ64 team released September 13th, 2011

http://jabosoft.com/articles/115

thats called PJ64 1.6.1 and was released after the last 1.7 build I had

P.S. if someone want to upload a save file (not a save state) then if I get time I could check it out for you

Just tell me what to do from your save to get to the crashy/unstable bits and see if I can't figure a way round those
    Last edited by Zorlon; 26th-February-2013 at 12:40.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    I believe they are trying to charge people for the latest version via donations

I would guess that if there is a 1.7 version available to free forum members then it's an older build

A bit of googliing might score you a free copy, they are calling it donations so they are not considered selling it so I would not consider that illegally obtaining it

There is also a last build by Jabo who is no longer an active part of the PJ64 team released September 13th, 2011

http://jabosoft.com/articles/115

thats called PJ64 1.6.1 and was released after the last 1.7 build I had

P.S. if someone want to upload a save file (not a save state) then if I get time I could check it out for you

Just tell me what to do from your save to get to the crashy/unstable bits and see if I can't figure a way round those
    Not sure if this is the right file but it was the only one in the save folder of the emulator

I've tested it with 1.6 and the save should direct you to a cutscene where it will crash at the end before coming up with something else

I use default settings

PAPER MARIO.zip

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Unless I loaded in the wrong save this just worked for me, on default settings

I'm not sure if I have the normal 1.6 or the newer Jabo's 1.6 I do recommend you get Jabo's version and give it a shot

Install it to a new folder and just copy the save over and direct the Jabo install to the old roms folder
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-February-2013 at 12:09.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]