Thread: Genesis cartridge copier

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Genesis cartridge copier

Hello lovely people, how are you?

I found this "super re-memory card console" or SRCC for short, in a local auction website.
    http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/...-cartuchos-_JM

I have a clone cart of Mega Man Wily Wars, and another, original, of NBA Jam.
    The clone doesn't save, and the original one does.
    Jazz has told me that both games have the same kind of saving feature, so I thought I'd use that to write Wily Wars over the basketball game.

The problem is
    a) I'd like not to waste a good cart
    b) I can't really afford the console, so I'm going to tell the guy if I could pay him to rewrite just this one game.

Okay, enough chatter, here's the question: Would it be possible to write a new game on a cart that already contains data?

On a side note it strikes me as odd... the seller says it has no way of plugging into a PC or TV, it's just the unit itself.

I'd greatly appreciate any info
    Thanks!
    Last edited by The Almighty MegaMan; 19th-January-2013 at 00:16.
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by The Almighty MegaMan View Post
    Okay, enough chatter, here's the question: Would it be possible to write a new game on a cart that already contains data?
    No, only if you have replaced the original mask ROM with either an eprom or eeprom.
    The Wily wars clone may have one of the above mentioned inside, but no way of knowing without opening it. I am guessing it does not though.

That device is ridiculously interesting, but I have no idea of how it works. My guess is that the two cartridges that come with it are specifically designed for use with it and any other cartridge would be very difficult to 'make' work with it.

You are not in the US, are you?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Found something about this (but I think it's in Russian).

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Not much there really, but some internal pics of the machine and carts.

This is a flash cartridge, you put the cartridge in any one slot (including pirates), and the second slot fleshkartridzh and rewrite it. You can also record the game from a computer through LPT-port. Each cartridge has a chip to store saves, if the original were sohranenku, they are the same overwritten.
    Bad google translation

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    No, only if you have replaced the original mask ROM with either an eprom or eeprom.
    The Wily wars clone may have one of the above mentioned inside, but no way of knowing without opening it. I am guessing it does not though.

That device is ridiculously interesting, but I have no idea of how it works. My guess is that the two cartridges that come with it are specifically designed for use with it and any other cartridge would be very difficult to 'make' work with it.

You are not in the US, are you?
    Nope! I definitely ain't.
    When it comes to gaming, I wish I did. But well, that doesn't matter.

The cart itself seems to be too light to have an actual EEPROM chip inside it, and it's so fragile that I think I'll break it if I open it.

Seller says the carts are virgin. My best guess is that they are rewritable, but I have no idea how.
    Even in the best of cases, if the cartridges the machine comes with are, and have a battery that allows the games to save, the seller still won't sell just one cart to me

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Found something about this (but I think it's in Russian).

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Not much there really, but some internal pics of the machine and carts.

Bad google translation
    It still is more info than what I had! Thank you!
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nope! I definitely ain't.
    When it comes to gaming, I wish I did. But well, that doesn't matter.

The cart itself seems to be too light to have an actual EEPROM chip inside it, and it's so fragile that I think I'll break it if I open it.

Seller says the carts are virgin. My best guess is that they are rewritable, but I have no idea how.
    Even in the best of cases, if the cartridges the machine comes with are, and have a battery that allows the games to save, the seller still won't sell just one cart to me

It still is more info than what I had! Thank you!
    Too light? There will be no weight difference.

According to the description, they are rewritable.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

That device is ridiculously interesting,
    Indeed.
    but I have no idea of how it works. My guess is that the two cartridges that come with it are specifically designed for use with it and any other cartridge would be very difficult to 'make' work with it.
    Yeah, it's unlikely it'd work. I've seen copiers of this nature, but going back to the Atari or early NES era. They worked by dumping a real cart onto the copiers proprietary flashable cart. The far superior floppy drive made them obsolete. But looking at those carts, it looks like they have checkboxes along their top edge, indicating possible sizes up to 32MB. So they had to have been made relatively recently
    Edit: Oh, that page deadlegion linked shows some carts with clear size labels too.

I have a clone cart of Mega Man Wily Wars, and another, original, of NBA Jam.
    The clone doesn't save, and the original one does.
    Jazz has told me that both games have the same kind of saving feature, so I thought I'd use that to write Wily Wars over the basketball game.
    If you want a nice playable copy of the Wily Wars you're better off skipping that guys collectible novelty, and just buy a proper reproduction. Here's a guy selling them, $47USD shipped worldwide:
    http://segaage.com/forum/messageview...threadid=44526
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Indeed.

Yeah, it's unlikely it'd work. I've seen copiers of this nature, but going back to the Atari or early NES era. They worked by dumping a real cart onto the copiers proprietary flashable cart. The far superior floppy drive made them obsolete. But looking at those carts, it looks like they have checkboxes along their top edge, indicating possible sizes up to 32MB. So they had to have been made relatively recently
    Edit: Oh, that page deadlegion linked shows some carts with clear size labels too.

If you want a nice playable copy of the Wily Wars you're better off skipping that guys collectible novelty, and just buy a proper reproduction. Here's a guy selling them, $47USD shipped worldwide:
    http://segaage.com/forum/messageview...threadid=44526
    I was about to say "too much" but they come with a box and label. That is awesome.