View Poll Results: Is OpenAL on Dolphin Worth it?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Both for several reasons or I don't know

3 100.00%

Thread: Is Dolphin's new OpenAL worth it?

Thanks
    EP Points

Question Is Dolphin's new OpenAL worth it?

So now the latest dolphin versions now require OpenAL32.dll (renamed from soft_al32.dll or something like that) and, according to the developers, it has the better sound over the other backends.

I placed this in the Everything Emulation as I was wondering if the backend itself would cause more issues trying to develop it (like Direct3D9 and 11 with Sonic Heroes) or if it would be a great success. I tried it out myself, but I wasnt very happy, and if you use the Dolby Pro Logic II decoder, no sound comes out at all even if set in-game.

I don't have a fast enough PC to test it to the limit, so I am looking out for people with faster PCs than mine which isn't good at all(system specs in signature below).
    System Specs are Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1, i3-2310M @2.1GHz, 4GB Ram and 128MB Intel HD Graphics 3000.

Click the thanks button if I helped in any way!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

To outline things..... it depends on your hardware.....

Those with the equipment to emulate at full speed will get more use out of it

If things don't work out I'm sure they will just revise what they do for later releases
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-January-2013 at 22:46.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    To outline things..... it depends on your hardware.....

Those with the equipment to emulate at full speed will get more use out of it

If things don't work out I'm sure they will just revise what they do for later releases
    Hope someone actually responds...

I won't get a new PC until my current one dies

One reason I'm asking this is because of Sonic Riders - Zero Gravity's terrible sound on DSP HLE. They're planning to make the HLE close to LLE for lots of games, making it closer towrds making people have second thoughts on piracy (since everyone wants speed and if there's no good speed at all, they quit playing often).

In the meantime, I was taking a look to see if anything worked when I used the latency effect on OpenAL, when all it did was make the sound go after the game does something (e.g. menu selection)
    System Specs are Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1, i3-2310M @2.1GHz, 4GB Ram and 128MB Intel HD Graphics 3000.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Buy a Wii instead and soft mod it no emulation flaws (as it's not emulation) specially if you run from a USB HDD the games will run perfect

I used my GameCube in the past via a soft mod, but that's not perfect for some games (it was due to +R/-R disc speed issues compared with retail disc speed)

Your machine is not cut out for GameCube emulation in general there may be the odd game that does not require so high specs that you can get full speed but not many, would strongly recommend a good desktop next time that you can at least upgrade rather than buying a whole new computer

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Buy a Wii instead and soft mod it no emulation flaws (as it's not emulation) specially if you run from a USB HDD the games will run perfect

I used my GameCube in the past via a soft mod, but that's not perfect for some games (it was due to +R/-R disc speed issues compared with retail disc speed)

Your machine is not cut out for GameCube emulation in general there may be the odd game that does not require so high specs that you can get full speed but not many, would strongly recommend a good desktop next time that you can at least upgrade rather than buying a whole new computer
    I have a softmodded wii myself, and I do have a small 8GB usb I use for it, since I use cfg-loader and WBFS usb format. I'm just wondering if youre saying that I should compare the sound between the original and dolphin.

So if I was going to get a new desktop, which one would you recommend yourself? I don't want to buy a fast but expensive i5-xxxxx with an Intel graphics card, so it's all going to add up in cash for an nvidia or ATI Radeon HD as well... since my PC is a laptop.
    Last edited by ndsplayer19576; 19th-January-2013 at 10:50.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I know your PC is a Laptop you can tell just by the stats

Build a machine yourself is the best option

But even buying a pre built machine is fine as well as long as it can have graphics/sound, cpu & memory upgradable getting a new motherboard is also an option if you take it as far as it goes but still want more as you can still use graphics cards sound cards memory ect in a new motherboard

the 3 main things are Memory Graphics and CPU

Intel is the cheap mans graphics and is not the best to be honest, N-vidia or ATI Radeon are the bester ones but you don't need to jump to those off the bat

You can start off small and make your way up, though I would still go for CPU to start with as those can epic fail when you install them

I wouldn't know what is the best budget machine for both price and performance I also could do with a desktop machine

If you are wondering though I have a 2TB drive hooked up to my Wii, currently not setup to run GC from the drive though my Wii is old enough to run direct from disc, anyway the HDD has 3 Partitions on it 2 WBFS formatted partitions for 1000 Wii games and a FAT partition used for emulators on the Wii with full SNES NES Mastersystem & Megadrive rom sets.

At some point I will re-format the 1st WBFS partition to FAT for GC games (or split it into 2 again so I have 4 partitions), just not got round to it, too busy playing on my PS3 360 and 3DS, I do tend to go back to older consoles as well though
    Last edited by Zorlon; 19th-January-2013 at 12:50.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

I know your PC is a Laptop you can tell just by the stats

Build a machine yourself is the best option

But even buying a pre built machine is fine as well as long as it can have graphics/sound, cpu & memory upgradable getting a new motherboard is also an option if you take it as far as it goes but still want more as you can still use graphics cards sound cards memory ect in a new motherboard

the 3 main things are Memory Graphics and CPU

Intel is the cheap mans graphics and is not the best to be honest, N-vidia or ATI Radeon are the bester ones but you don't need to jump to those off the bat

You can start off small and make your way up, though I would still go for CPU to start with as those can epic fail when you install them

I wouldn't know what is the best budget machine for both price and performance I also could do with a desktop machine

If you are wondering though I have a 2TB drive hooked up to my Wii, currently not setup to run GC from the drive though my Wii is old enough to run direct from disc, anyway the HDD has 3 Partitions on it 2 WBFS formatted partitions for 1000 Wii games and a FAT partition used for emulators on the Wii with full SNES NES Mastersystem & Megadrive rom sets.

At some point I will re-format the 1st WBFS partition to FAT for GC games (or split it into 2 again so I have 4 partitions), just not got round to it, too busy playing on my PS3 360 and 3DS, I do tend to go back to older consoles as well though
    Thanks for the advice; I'll see what I can do. Although I guess my PC would die this year, since I "overuse" my PC way too much.

Also, I wonder - how did you get that my PC is a laptop? Is it because of the CPU or something? Otherwise, you just know a lot of the PCs I hardly know any
    Last edited by ndsplayer19576; 21st-January-2013 at 17:32.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Both your CPU and GPU gave it away, specially the CPU

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Can Anyone Actually Tell Me The Difference Between All These
    Branches Of Dolphin,Is Dolphin GIT The Original? I Just Want The Normal SVN Builds.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by 47iscool View Post
    Can Anyone Actually Tell Me The Difference Between All These
    Branches Of Dolphin,Is Dolphin GIT The Original? I Just Want The Normal SVN Builds.
    Each branch is a separate development section for one thing. However, the master branch is the place where every development build is released, each having similar coding with a few changes.

The original dolphin versions are the stable ones I think.

For SVN builds, you might want to google that.
    Last edited by ndsplayer19576; 22nd-January-2013 at 21:40.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ndsplayer19576 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

I'll take a look at the PC section then and see what comes out, hopefully something good.