Thread: Wii: Trouble loading backups on HDD fat32

Thanks

Question Wii: Trouble loading backups on HDD fat32

I'm new to this softmodding business. I spent an agonizing afternoon softmodding my Wii. I was able to format my 1TB HDD to wbfs no problem. I'm using USB Loader GX 3.0 I could play Wii games no problem. Then I decided to add some gamecube backups, which I quickly discovered won't work on a wbfs formatted hard drive. I spent another afternoon searching for a fix, but all I could find were incoherent tutorials plugging useless file managers.

I installed DIOS MIOS lite, but the gamecube games would give me an error saying that I needed to update my loader, even though USB Loader GX is up to date.
    Wii games worked fine though. I found another guide saying the hard drive needed to be formatted to fat32 for DIOS MIOS to work. I formatted the hard drive no problem, but now my Wii quietly crashes when I try to boot up any game from USB Loader GX.

What have I done wrong? How can I fix it? And is there a way for me to play Gamecube and Wii backups on the same Hard Drive?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Partition the drive to have a fat32 partition and a WBFS partition

Make sure the Fat partition is the first partition

You can do all that from Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Computer Management using the Disc Management tool

In the Management tool just right click on the drive you want to modify and shrink your Fat32 partition than will create an unpartitioned area that will need to be activated and formatted before you reformat to WBFS (make sure there is room for it to be shrank)

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I ran into a few snags but I at least got the Wii backups to work. The Gamecube games don't even show up from the hard drive so I put them on the SD card, but the Wii just resets when I try to boot a gamecube game.
    Last edited by Chdonga; 13th-January-2013 at 02:00.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Is the first partition Fat/Fat32?

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Did you install Dios Mios? You'll need that, it's a custom gamecube ios that allows you to run backups via usb (don't get the Lite version, that's only for SD-cards)
    For future reference, you don't need to make a wbfs partition, it's enough to put the games in a "wbfs" folder in the root.

Also, this tool is great for extracting the gamecube isos over to your hdd. Choose extract > DiscEx format and the isos will be "scrubbed" (unnecessary data removed, resulting in a smaller file that still contains the whole game)
    http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/gcit.html

Softmodding can be a drag! I spent an entire week getting everything the way I wanted...

Edit: Oh and the GC isos should be in a "games" folder in the root

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fazermint For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've figured everything out now. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Chdonga; 13th-January-2013 at 21:21.