Thread: VisualBoyAdvance: Final Fantasy V Advance Slowdown & .SA1 Problem

Thanks

Default VisualBoyAdvance: Final Fantasy V Advance Slowdown & .SA1 Problem

Greetings. Long time member, first time poster.

My Problem's a simple one: I was attempting to play Final Fantasy V Advance on the VisualBoyAdvance v1.6 and experiencing significant slowdown during gameplay. Specifically, right as you enter the pirate hideout at the start of the game. Naturally, I sought a more up to date version of the emulator, as I had been sitting on v1.6 for who knows how long, in hopes of solving my problem.

Unfortunately I've now encountered something entirely different: While attempting to test both v1.7.2 & v1.8.0 with the same Final Fantasy V ROM, downloaded from EmuParadise, every time I attempted to save or load a state my Windows 7 Aero theme would crash and the emulator would bug out, running slower than normal. Curious, as if I manage to play to the pirate hideout in either emulator version I no longer experience slowdown, but the moment I save state, or load the ROM again after the .SA1 file is written, my theme and emulator go bonkers.

VBA v1.6, which writes standard .SAV files, does not incur such problems. After testing the emulators with a variety of other ROMs, including Final Fantasy's 4&6, I've come to the conclusion that the problem lies in some sort of compatibility issue with the .SA1 save files and the .SG1 save state files. No matter the ROM, and on either VBA v1.7.2 or v1.8.0, as soon as either file is written, the crashing starts. Disabling Aero solves the crashing issues and the emulator runs fine, for now, but I still find this all very strange. No emulator I have ever used has behaved in such a manner before.

In summation, a few questions:

1.) Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? Desktop themes crashing when using VBA v1.7.2/v1.8.0?

2.) If so, is there some manner to fix said problem? Disabling Aero is acceptable but if there's something in the emulator I can tweak to fix it, all the better.

3.) Concerning FFVA's slowdown issue: Does anyone know how well, on average, the ROM runs on VBA v1.8.0? It works now, but am I to expect slowdown in the future? Is the ROM just not completely compatible with modern emulators?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Emulator: VisualBoyAdvance version 1.8.0 stable build.
    CPU: AMD FX 6100 6-core
    GFX: ATI Radeon HD 6970
    RAM: 8GB Patriot 1600 DDR3

Thanks

I use visual boy advance 1.72 with all of the default settings and run FF5 at 60fps no problem. Did you edit any of the settings for a different game? If so just try using the default ones.
    Motherboard : Asus M4N75TD
    Processor : AMD Phenom II x6 1090T, 3.2GHz
    Memory : Kingston DDR3 Non-ECC 1600MHz, 12Gb
    Video : GeForce GTS 450, 1Gb
    PSU : Xion 800w
    Harddrive : Western Digital 7200Rpm, 1Tb
    Monitor : Lextron M19W 21'
    Mouse : Logitech G9
    Keyboard : Logitech G110
    Headphones : Razer Carcharias