Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Buying NES games

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Buying NES games

    Hi I recently obtained a NES console to add to my collection (I now own every nintendo console apart from the wii U and I am also missing some handhelds). I am looking for some games for it does anyone know of any websites I could obtain some PAL games for it such as legend of zelda, metroid etc. I don't care about if it comes with a box or not as long as it is still playable. I have tried ebay but it seams a little empty (not sure if it is due to the time of year) also I have tried googleing some site but almost all of them are out of stock for most of their games.
    Some help would be apreciated
    Zaros

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    18,582
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 89 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    EP Points
    130

    Default

    I don't know of any online stores where you can find them, but quite honestly given how "rare" PAL NES games are, your best bet is to use eBay. I just took a quick look on ebay.co.uk and found about 2200 listings with a generic search of "NES," then went into the "Nintendo NES" category. There isn't much variety for each game, but they had a few auctions up of most of the great games -- all of the Marios, both Zeldas, Metroid, Castlevania, etc.

    They're all quite expensive, though. In all honesty, it would almost be cheaper to grab a cheap NES clone like the RetroDuo, then import NTSC games from North America to play on it. Prices on PAL NES games are astronomical.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Yes I noticed that aswell which was why I was asking for other websites. I might try the region-free hack (disconnecting the 4th pin) and buy some US games. Unless anyone knows if this causes major damage or has a better solution?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In a windowless van.
    Posts
    10,242
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 693 Times in 327 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    EP Points
    1390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaros View Post
    Yes I noticed that aswell which was why I was asking for other websites. I might try the region-free hack (disconnecting the 4th pin) and buy some US games. Unless anyone knows if this causes major damage or has a better solution?
    IF ITS HACKS YOU WANT! I am your man to help. Just ask me in the morning when im not drunk.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,357
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 158 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    16
    EP Points
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaros View Post
    Yes I noticed that aswell which was why I was asking for other websites. I might try the region-free hack (disconnecting the 4th pin) and buy some US games. Unless anyone knows if this causes major damage or has a better solution?
    I think you'll have to do more than just lift PIN4 on the lockout chip. Sure it'll let you play NTSC games, but they'll run at a slower rate. Because of the 50/60HZ PAL/NTSC differences. Would be probably easier to just get a clone like suggested above.

    Shipping can be a little pricey. It was ~$20 shipping to the UK for 8 NES carts. Though my buddy said that it was still cheaper than trying to buy NES games over there.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    18,582
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 89 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    EP Points
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    I think you'll have to do more than just lift PIN4 on the lockout chip. Sure it'll let you play NTSC games, but they'll run at a slower rate. Because of the 50/60HZ PAL/NTSC differences. Would be probably easier to just get a clone like suggested above.

    Shipping can be a little pricey. It was ~$20 shipping to the UK for 8 NES carts. Though my buddy said that it was still cheaper than trying to buy NES games over there.
    When I checked eBay.co.uk, the average for Metroid (cart only) was ~£30. Which is... quite a lot, honestly.

    If you only order one or two games at a time, shipping would probably be reasonable. Still a bit pricey, but likely a lot cheaper than buying PAL versions.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Yes the PAL versions are really over priced. At the moment a copy of LoZ is going for 310 pounds which is ridiculous even if it does contain the complete packaging it is not even factory sealed. I might try looking again at another time of year as I am sure that before christmas they were a lot cheaper.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Punch Bowl
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    EP Points
    25

    Default

    Try Amazon UK and see if any retro game stores are located near your home. I was surprised that ten stores where I live sell NES games for dirt cheap.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    18,016
    Thanks
    626
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 748 Posts
    EP Points
    7785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaros View Post
    Hi I recently obtained a NES console to add to my collection (I now own every nintendo console apart from the wii U and I am also missing some handhelds). I am looking for some games for it does anyone know of any websites I could obtain some PAL games for it such as legend of zelda, metroid etc. I don't care about if it comes with a box or not as long as it is still playable. I have tried ebay but it seams a little empty (not sure if it is due to the time of year) also I have tried googleing some site but almost all of them are out of stock for most of their games.
    Some help would be apreciated
    Zaros
    You could try checking Australian sellers on ebay Consoles are PAL here too.

    Here's a quick example (the box is damaged & it's not really cheap, but it's better than £310 and I don't think there's anything missing):
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NES-GAME-...item3f1ff6fa38
    Top rated seller, posts OS to various locations.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I had a look at the Australian ebay and managed to grab metroid and castlevania 2 for about $35 each so not too bad.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Huh? You some kinda creepo?!
    Posts
    345
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    $35 for an NES game - ??

    Think I got $70 for DuckTales II, but YOWZA....




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    18,016
    Thanks
    626
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 748 Posts
    EP Points
    7785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GradyWilson View Post
    $35 for an NES game - ??

    Think I got $70 for DuckTales II, but YOWZA....



    They're PAL region.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Huh? You some kinda creepo?!
    Posts
    345
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    They're PAL region.
    PAL NES games are costlier?
    (I know that the NES was late to the party over there, which is typically why Euro folks prefer Sega/MD....wonder if this is a factor?)

    I understand that 'obsessive-minded' collectors can easily get whipped into a frenzy when it comes to 'game values', and I have certainly exploited this over the years, but it all seems rather silly/redundant when you can hold entire console LIBRARIES on Micro SDs, heh...ahhhhh, well....





  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,731
    Thanks
    194
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    EP Points
    95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GradyWilson View Post
    PAL NES games are costlier?
    (I know that the NES was late to the party over there, which is typically why Euro folks prefer Sega/MD....wonder if this is a factor?)
    More so the "Video Game Crash" did not affect Europe anywhere as near as bad as it did America, We had a thriving home computer industry at the time. By the time the NES turned up on the Scene we had 16-Bit home computer systems such as the Atari ST and Amiga 500, So really for us at that point in time many couldn't see the point of going backwards.

    Not forgetting technically the Master System was a better console (except the sound chip) and as far as I remember came on the scene for us before the NES.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    8,276
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 95 Times in 22 Posts
    EP Points
    200

    Default

    The reality is PAL NES games with any sort of name recognition sell for ridiculous amounts of money. I don't blame the sellers at all, it's buyers with zero idea what things are actually worth who keep pushing the prices up. The NES was nowhere as near popular here as it was in North America but believe me when I say it sold well, there is no shortage of games or consoles and there's no reason whatsoever for something like Metroid to cost £30. Definitely stick to American games. They can still be quite expensive unless you import, but even if you find them on UK eBay they're usually much cheaper than PAL games.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    I think you'll have to do more than just lift PIN4 on the lockout chip. Sure it'll let you play NTSC games, but they'll run at a slower rate. Because of the 50/60HZ PAL/NTSC differences. Would be probably easier to just get a clone like suggested above.

    Shipping can be a little pricey. It was ~$20 shipping to the UK for 8 NES carts. Though my buddy said that it was still cheaper than trying to buy NES games over there.
    I'm still super grateful for that man, you really did save me a ton of money. I'm not exaggerating when I say it would have cost like four times as much to buy them over here.

Similar Threads

  1. 3DS Price Drop [Free Games!]
    By Inferno. in forum General Gaming
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 1st-August-2011, 20:14
  2. Who plans on buying an xbox 360?
    By Str8Ba11a in forum General Gaming
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 16th-October-2005, 00:14
  3. Are Classic NES Series worth it?
    By Kenny in forum General Gaming
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 7th-August-2004, 21:37
  4. Are you obsessed with video games?
    By Jaws in forum Free 4 All
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 7th-January-2004, 22:13

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us

We are the oldest retro gaming forum on the internet. The goal of our community is the complete preservation of all retro video games. Started in 2001 as EmuParadise Forums, our community has grown over the past 18 years into one of the biggest gaming platforms on the internet.

Social