Thread: Buying NES games

Thanks

Default Buying NES games

Hi I recently obtained a NES console to add to my collection (I now own every nintendo console apart from the wii U and I am also missing some handhelds). I am looking for some games for it does anyone know of any websites I could obtain some PAL games for it such as legend of zelda, metroid etc. I don't care about if it comes with a box or not as long as it is still playable. I have tried ebay but it seams a little empty (not sure if it is due to the time of year) also I have tried googleing some site but almost all of them are out of stock for most of their games.
    Some help would be apreciated
    Zaros

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I don't know of any online stores where you can find them, but quite honestly given how "rare" PAL NES games are, your best bet is to use eBay. I just took a quick look on ebay.co.uk and found about 2200 listings with a generic search of "NES," then went into the "Nintendo NES" category. There isn't much variety for each game, but they had a few auctions up of most of the great games -- all of the Marios, both Zeldas, Metroid, Castlevania, etc.

They're all quite expensive, though. In all honesty, it would almost be cheaper to grab a cheap NES clone like the RetroDuo, then import NTSC games from North America to play on it. Prices on PAL NES games are astronomical.

Thanks

Yes I noticed that aswell which was why I was asking for other websites. I might try the region-free hack (disconnecting the 4th pin) and buy some US games. Unless anyone knows if this causes major damage or has a better solution?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by zaros View Post
    Yes I noticed that aswell which was why I was asking for other websites. I might try the region-free hack (disconnecting the 4th pin) and buy some US games. Unless anyone knows if this causes major damage or has a better solution?
    IF ITS HACKS YOU WANT! I am your man to help. Just ask me in the morning when im not drunk.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I think you'll have to do more than just lift PIN4 on the lockout chip. Sure it'll let you play NTSC games, but they'll run at a slower rate. Because of the 50/60HZ PAL/NTSC differences. Would be probably easier to just get a clone like suggested above.

Shipping can be a little pricey. It was ~$20 shipping to the UK for 8 NES carts. Though my buddy said that it was still cheaper than trying to buy NES games over there.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    I think you'll have to do more than just lift PIN4 on the lockout chip. Sure it'll let you play NTSC games, but they'll run at a slower rate. Because of the 50/60HZ PAL/NTSC differences. Would be probably easier to just get a clone like suggested above.

Shipping can be a little pricey. It was ~$20 shipping to the UK for 8 NES carts. Though my buddy said that it was still cheaper than trying to buy NES games over there.
    When I checked eBay.co.uk, the average for Metroid (cart only) was ~£30. Which is... quite a lot, honestly.

If you only order one or two games at a time, shipping would probably be reasonable. Still a bit pricey, but likely a lot cheaper than buying PAL versions.

Thanks

Yes the PAL versions are really over priced. At the moment a copy of LoZ is going for 310 pounds which is ridiculous even if it does contain the complete packaging it is not even factory sealed. I might try looking again at another time of year as I am sure that before christmas they were a lot cheaper.

Thanks
    EP Points

Try Amazon UK and see if any retro game stores are located near your home. I was surprised that ten stores where I live sell NES games for dirt cheap.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Hi I recently obtained a NES console to add to my collection (I now own every nintendo console apart from the wii U and I am also missing some handhelds). I am looking for some games for it does anyone know of any websites I could obtain some PAL games for it such as legend of zelda, metroid etc. I don't care about if it comes with a box or not as long as it is still playable. I have tried ebay but it seams a little empty (not sure if it is due to the time of year) also I have tried googleing some site but almost all of them are out of stock for most of their games.
    Some help would be apreciated
    Zaros
    You could try checking Australian sellers on ebay Consoles are PAL here too.

Here's a quick example (the box is damaged & it's not really cheap, but it's better than £310 and I don't think there's anything missing):
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NES-GAME-...item3f1ff6fa38
    Top rated seller, posts OS to various locations.

Thanks

I had a look at the Australian ebay and managed to grab metroid and castlevania 2 for about $35 each so not too bad.

Thanks

$35 for an NES game - ??

Think I got $70 for DuckTales II, but YOWZA....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by GradyWilson View Post
    $35 for an NES game - ??

Think I got $70 for DuckTales II, but YOWZA....

They're PAL region.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    They're PAL region.
    PAL NES games are costlier?
    (I know that the NES was late to the party over there, which is typically why Euro folks prefer Sega/MD....wonder if this is a factor?)

I understand that 'obsessive-minded' collectors can easily get whipped into a frenzy when it comes to 'game values', and I have certainly exploited this over the years, but it all seems rather silly/redundant when you can hold entire console LIBRARIES on Micro SDs, heh...ahhhhh, well....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by GradyWilson View Post
    PAL NES games are costlier?
    (I know that the NES was late to the party over there, which is typically why Euro folks prefer Sega/MD....wonder if this is a factor?)
    More so the "Video Game Crash" did not affect Europe anywhere as near as bad as it did America, We had a thriving home computer industry at the time. By the time the NES turned up on the Scene we had 16-Bit home computer systems such as the Atari ST and Amiga 500, So really for us at that point in time many couldn't see the point of going backwards.

Not forgetting technically the Master System was a better console (except the sound chip) and as far as I remember came on the scene for us before the NES.

Thanks
    EP Points

The reality is PAL NES games with any sort of name recognition sell for ridiculous amounts of money. I don't blame the sellers at all, it's buyers with zero idea what things are actually worth who keep pushing the prices up. The NES was nowhere as near popular here as it was in North America but believe me when I say it sold well, there is no shortage of games or consoles and there's no reason whatsoever for something like Metroid to cost £30. Definitely stick to American games. They can still be quite expensive unless you import, but even if you find them on UK eBay they're usually much cheaper than PAL games.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post

I'm still super grateful for that man, you really did save me a ton of money. I'm not exaggerating when I say it would have cost like four times as much to buy them over here.