Thread: Sony's Evil torturous ps3

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Sony's Evil torturous ps3

Hey for this question I'm asking it's for my brother age 33; Can he play ps2 games on slim if so how? I know he can't use the discs and I've been reading around that there are download versions on the ps store[non hd remakes]. So if anyone can help it would be just great.
    In the cursed year 1943, Crawley returned.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 166 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by soratron View Post
    Hey for this question I'm asking it's for my brother age 33; Can he play ps2 games on slim if so how? I know he can't use the discs and I've been reading around that there are download versions on the ps store[non hd remakes]. So if anyone can help it would be just great.
    Sony has dropped support for PS2 Media. Only the 20GB/60GB/Early 80Gb model can play PS2 games. I believe they removed the IC on the board that was capable of doing this to lessen manufacturing costs.

I notice my uploads are taken down, i am the the process of reuploading
    If you like any of my uploads, be sure to hit the "Thanks" button
    Every month i try to add new games. For my list of uploads, check out here
    Need your console modded?, check out my store here

Thanks
    EP Points

The original PS3 included essentially all of the PS2 hardware on the board to enable hardware based emulation of PS2 software. Later revisions removed the Emotion Engine but kept the graphics chip and had slightly lower compatibility due to it being a combination of software and hardware emulation. For several years now, no PS3 has supported playing of PS2 discs. However, there are a few PS2 games that have been released as downloads on the PlayStation Store. I can't find an exhaustive list of what PS2 games can be downloaded, but you should be able to browse for them on the PlayStation Store.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

thanks I'll tell him this tomorrow. Also how well did the ps3 phat read ps2 discs?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

thanks I'll tell him this tomorrow. Also how well did the ps3 phat read ps2 discs?
    Tell him it read the discs at a junior college-grade level.

Thanks
    EP Points

My launch unit has never had any problems playing PS2 games, however, not all PS3 phats play PS2 games. According to the table on the following link, it appears that consoles made after October 2007 lack PS2 backwards compatibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS3#Model_comparison

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I've also been reading many sites claiming that the psn europe as downloadable ps2 titles that run on the slim models but cant seem to find an answer as to both is it on the usa psn yet and where do I tell my brother to look so can someone fill in the blanks.

EDIT; anyone? EDIT: OK all I want to know now is this only on europe and japanese consoles or is it available on usa consoles as well? Seriously my brother is get to be a maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaajor pain. I can't check to see what model he has but to possibly narrow it down I believe he has a non bc fat[saw it sorta once at house and was told by his gf that it wouldn't play ps2 discs.].

No need to answer this thread anymore, you can if you want but my brother said that he's just going to buy a poker game for his ps3 instead of waiting.
    Last edited by soratron; 29th-December-2012 at 02:05.