Thread: Emulators for Windows tablets?

Thanks

Default Emulators for Windows tablets?

With the release of Windows 8 full I'm excited at the possibility of touch controls for windows emulators, just like they have for Android & IOS.

Does anyone know of any touchscreen emulators that run on Windows?

Or any Windows programs that have touch buttons that can be configured to keystrokes?

EDIT: why was this moved to the Xbox section? This is about PC tablets, not a Microsoft console.
    Last edited by teeborg; 12th-December-2012 at 17:21. Reason: please, don't double post, use the EDIT button.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

We don't have an xbox section that I am aware of but we do have a microsoft systems section, but to be honest this could of been in either mobile devices or other but Microsoft does fit the OS on the tablet

Mouse games will possibly work with touch screen just fine, something like scummvm should be nice for that

a touch screen is no replacment for a controller though, but I'm sure you will get a touch screen keyboard with it anyway, so plenty of touch buttons there

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I was thinking more along the lines of Android virtual buttons.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Currently there is nothing yet but Windows 8 touch screens are still new, if it was Andriod driven then it wouldn't be an issue but it's mircosoft OS driven unfortionatly, but that has it's own advantages that being that windows has more homebrew development than most OS's so there may be something just round the corner but for now you will have to wait and see.

I would still say just hook a PAD up, but personly I never did like touch screens for PAD based games, games made specificly for touch screen use is a different story (this does not include ones that use a touch screen like a control pad though)

Personal feelings aside.. You will just have to wait and see what comes out

Shame you didn't get http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/...rated-gamepad/ instead

I can't see advantages for Windows 8 yet, I can see more disadvantages, but I guess if you buy a new machine now with windows it will be windows 8 now, just if you do, make sure it can take Windows 8's gready resourses well enough to run smoothly (Windows 8 is not the first version of windows to have touch screen technology ) but the tablets are more popular now, I wouldn't mind one for on the go but never to replace a computer but more of a portable outlet to work on the go or just to watch a movie or read a comic, games if I was to play a few would be touch screen specific or I would have to have an actual Pad

I would of said e-Books, but that would be a lie
    Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-December-2012 at 20:31.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I need a Win8 tablet because they're coming out with Wacom digitizers, and Android apps are fairly limited. Hopefully most of the problems are driver-related as Microsoft really rushed this OS before the manufacturers were ready. I've read it's actually pretty light on RAM, which would make it closer to XP.

And yeah, touch gaming sucks. I'd only use it for when I don't have a controller handy.

Anyway there's Bluestacks which emulates Android apps. I think that would be my best bet.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The ram thing is BS my kid bro got a Windows 8 laptop at higher spec and it runs alot slower than my Windows 7 laptop, that is lower spec, it may be that it kills the CPU aswell I never did diagnose it fully checking what it was actually using, but the thing was too slow for me to use to start with.

Windows 8 is the slowest OS yet... just think about it, Win8 uses more GFX than any OS so far that not only uses GPU but also ram and cpu to run the OS alone, add software on top of that is not going to make it use less resouces, but more

going from 98SE to XP got slow downs, even 98SE to 2K it was slower... actually XP and 2K are about the same, 2K/XP to Vista/Win7 (<- are basicly the same OS 7 has more bugs removed) another drop is speed Win7 to 8 is no different the speed loss is very noticable

All the above are stable versions of Windows with the exception of Vista, 95 wasn't so bad but it lacking is some area's, Millenium was a joke 3.11 was good, at the time again slowdown when it was replaced with 95, I'll not go any further back though, alot of the older ones didn't have as much a speed change between versions

Personly if I got a Windows 8 machine I would be tempted to dual boot XP & or Win 7, keeping Win8 for the novelty of it, but just the novelty, a high spec machine I would hope it would run a bit faster/smoother

Again touch screen has been around for longer than you think even XP can be used with touch screen, but very little developed for it unfortionatly, thing may well change though touch screens specially with the tablets becomming very popular now there is bound to be some good dev's out in the near future

possibly any os could depending on the screen as the touch screen itself can act as a mouse, but the earliest OS I have personly seen was XP with a touch screen infact 90% of shops that use interactive touch screens use Windows XP still today

To be hoest it wouldn't actually take much to create a button app to act as a joy pad on screen (Not for me I'm no programmer) it wouldn't need to be specific to touch screens either as the touch screen itself acts as a mouse anyway, the probelm is some programs will not work with something like that as they go into standby mode (i.e. action will pause) if it's not an active window (off the top of my head not sure if that can be fixed, possibly can)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 14th-December-2012 at 21:49.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]