Thread: R4 3DS Card Help

Thanks

Default R4 3DS Card Help

R4 3DS Card Help

First off, let me thank you for any help offered.

I just got a new Nintendo 3DS on Black Friday and I’ve spent awhile researching how to get a ‘soft mod’.

From what I understand I need an R4 3DS card. I would like to know what the R4 official website is, as there are many existing websites for the R4

I found the card on Amazon, but I am not sure if this is the complete package as I am a ‘noob’ at soft modding a DS
    http://www.amazon.com/R4-R4i-sdhc-3d...eywords=r4+3ds

Once again, thank you for your help.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

There is no official R4 web site as the R4 team died off years ago and there are tons of cards using the R4 tittle though but these are not true R4 cards (Official R4 cards will not work in a 3DS or DSi the team died off even before there was a DSi never mind a 3DS)

Depending on your 3DS version (do not upgrade thing) depends on the flash kits that can be used, unfortionatly the last update by Nintendo blocked most flash kits including the best one that is the Acekard2i

P.S. the official site for the card you are talking about though is on the box itself lol http://www.r4i-sdhc.com/ thats if that is an actual image of the box but it does seem to be compatible with the latest 3DS firmware

The only way you can make these work with the 3DS though is to make sure it is updated before hand, you can't get one of these cards and plug it into a 3DS without updating the thing first that can only be done via a DS or DS Lite first, some retailers will update the card for you anyway though (again do not update the 3DS).

Almost forgot you can't actually play 3DS games via a flash kit only normal DS games, not even DSi exclusive games are playable
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-November-2012 at 20:39.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you.
    I am pretty sure I already got the current update for the DS when I was setting it up.
    I will have to see if I can reset it or wait for a new crack

I am starting to understand the process of modding the DS, but please let me go over this again.

1) Go to: http://www.acekard.com

2) Visit one of their distributor’s links for their ‘flash cart’ of Acekard 2i

3) Go to Best Buy, etc and get a MicroSD card & adaptor

4) Get latest firmware upgrade on the flash cart

5) Put any file I wish to access into the MicroSD

6) Profit?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you have updated already to 4.4.0-10 you might aswell go for the R4 card (or the Supcard DSTwo) it's not looking good for Acekard2i users, there may not be another update for that kit.

Personly I'm stuck on 4.3.0-10 for now, no big deal though to me, though what I may eventually do is grab a DSi-XL at some point, and keep the 3DS legit only that I do buy retail games for

I got mine ordered from an asian site, worked out much cheaper as it happens but it does take a lil while to get to you

http://www.digitalyeah.com/3ds-flash-card.html they sell all sorts of kits
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-November-2012 at 22:42.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thank you again,
    Yea the R4 seems to be the more popular choice and I read that the Acekard2i may require a normal DS to update the firmware before being able to be used on a 3DS.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

So does the R4 and every other flash kit for DSi and 3DS if you update the console before the flash kit the only way to update the flash kit is via a DS or DSlite (No options there)

I have not looked at every flash kit but most will let you update on a 3DS and DSi if you update the flash kit before you update the console, including Acekard2i

DSTwo would be the next best one to go for though not the R4
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-November-2012 at 22:50.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Thunder Jones View Post
    I believe that the R4 shouldn't even be on Amazon, Amazon shouldn't be giving people the chance to "pirate" DS games.
    System Specs are Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1, i3-2310M @2.1GHz, 4GB Ram and 128MB Intel HD Graphics 3000.

Click the thanks button if I helped in any way!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ndsplayer19576 View Post
    I believe that the R4 shouldn't even be on Amazon, Amazon shouldn't be giving people the chance to "pirate" DS games.
    This is true (same for ebay) but it's still there unless you feel like reporting them, personly let em do what they like

R4 shouldn't be even sold in or to the EU and US states as they are banned, not that this stops anything

Roms in general shouldn't be allowed in any country as they are copyright protected, this even includes very very old games, there are very few exceptions that have been released to the public in rom format e.g. Zero Tollerance for the Sega Megadrive is one such game and one I used to have the actual cart for aswell
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-November-2012 at 20:46.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

I've always wanted a flashcart since I heard about the gba ones back in 07
    Zorlon, would you recommend the R4 or the DSTwo? I have a regular ds and a ds lite I believe. I just want to make sure because the laters is $37.95 and I just want to make sure that's a reasonable price
    Last edited by Polizzi; 20th-December-2012 at 17:23.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

DSTwo over any R4 anyday, if it wasn't for the fact that R4 is one of the few that work on newer 3DS systems I would not recommend R4 to anyone

DStwo will cost a lil more than an R4 mind

Be extra carefull if buying an R4 as there are tons of versions by lots of different hardware developers

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks lol, I think I'll stick with the DsTwo

Thanks

Best advice for R4/CycloDS/etc. crap: Toss in trash bin. Buy AceKard2i. Happy times!

Zorlon - "DSTwo" ? Are we talking about the same card?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Supercard DS Two is a totally different card, it's the one with the extra memory for GBA emulation.

Acekard have stopped providing updates for the firmware of the Acekard2i so updated 3DS's can't use them.

The last update by Nintendo has stopped a lot of flash kits from running, about 2 months back with the release of 4.4.0-10

I actually just had my 3DS pack in on me for the second time, so at the moment it's on it's way to Nintendo for them to fix it... again, last time though they extended my warrenty for it for another year, glad they did now.

My 3DS was on 4.3.0-10 but no idea what it will be running when I get it back.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 21st-December-2012 at 23:41.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Supercard DS Two is a totally different card, it's the one with the extra memory for GBA emulation.

Acekard have stopped providing updates for the firmware of the Acekard2i so updated 3DS's can't use them.

The last update by Nintendo has stopped a lot of flash kits from running, about 2 months back with the release of 4.4.0-10

I actually just had my 3DS pack in on me for the second time, so at the moment it's on it's way to Nintendo for them to fix it... again, last time though they extended my warrenty for it for another year, glad they did now.

My 3DS was on 4.3.0-10 but no idea what it will be running when I get it back.
    Oh my. I am very intrigued....this card....so interesting...

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah, when I saw the gba support, I thought it was a must have for me