Thread: What used DS model should I get that can still be softmodded?

Thanks

Default What used DS model should I get that can still be softmodded?

I'm looking into getting either a PSP or DS that can still be softmodded. I haven't looked into this for a while. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,308 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

You can buy anything. Assuming you aren't talking 3DS and Vita, those aren't cracked yet. But you can easily use a flashcard on any regular DS up through the XL, and the PSP has had every firmware and model softmodded so you can buy a new 3000 or Go without any worries.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

i wouldnt even know where to buy a flash card since deal extreme stopped selling them

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    Thanked 13,308 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

That's easy, you hit Shoptemp and see where to buy one. Also, the Acekard 2i is the best value for your dollar:
    http://shoptemp.net/products/Acekard-2i.html
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The Supercard DStwo is the best flash cart, but also the most expensive (around 30-40 bucks). It's still cheaper than a normal game in the store though! This flash cart is the only one that can emulate GBA games. Granted, the GBA emulation isn't perfect and you'd get a better result by getting a Slot-2 GBA flash cart. I still like the DSTwo because it's everything in one.

As to where to buy, try GBATemp's official sponsor nds-card.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fazermint For This Useful Post:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Fazermint View Post
    The Supercard DStwo is the best flash cart, but also the most expensive (around 30-40 bucks). It's still cheaper than a normal game in the store though! This flash cart is the only one that can emulate GBA games. Granted, the GBA emulation isn't perfect and you'd get a better result by getting a Slot-2 GBA flash cart. I still like the DSTwo because it's everything in one.

As to where to buy, try GBATemp's official sponsor nds-card.com
    It's far from best, not as far as DS compat goes, the only reason I would say it is best in any form is because it has extra memory for emulation.

For all round compat the M3Real + GBA expantion option on DS is by far better, without the DSLite/DS slot 2 option then SCDStwo is the only option for GBA compat but that is at the cost of normal DS compat, that the Acekard2i is best at with no patching, though if you don't happen over any DS roms with issues then it's the best for you

DS+DSLite had slot 2 (GBA port) DSi to 3DS-XL do not have slot 2

A PSP can play GBA very well and a nice bonus of a larger screen it is also very good at emulating other systems such a SNES Megadrive and other 16 bit machines aswell PSX

PSP is by far the better option as far as emulation goes

DS I find has a more fun collection of original DS games but as far as emulation goes SNES and Megadrive are going to look rather bad being squashed onto a low res screen, so the best emulators are the 8bit ones such as NES SMS and GameGear (GBA and SNES only via the SuperCardDSTwo, SNES will be squashed or the screen will need to scroll, or fixed center that will hide some of the image, GBA & SNES is not perfect)

Personly I have

All DS models, flash kits can only play DS mode games (there is one rare one that can play in DSi mode, though not one of the best flash kits, but as a second kit thats great) so don't expect to play DSi only mode games or 3DS games

3DS with Acekard2i (I stopped using my SuperCardDSTwo, I don't think it will work now anyway with the later 3DS updates I have) [the very latest 3DS firmware has just blocked the Acekard2i, so don't update the 3DS ]
    DSLite with M3Real and GBA Expantion
    PSP 2001 softmodded + MS Pro Duo Micro SDHC dual slot adaptor + 2x 32GB class (10) micro SD's in it (It's still a lil less that 60GB lol)

Depending on your needs/wants depends on the console you go for

Overall the PSP can play alot more than any model DS can

DS has more fun originals than the PSP

Both are realy good at the end of the day and if cash wasn't an issue as it is for most of us I would say get them both and enjoy the best of both worlds, but given no choice but to get one or the other then it has to be the PSP more because of the homebrew scene than the PSP games

If you go for DS though the model depends on GBA compat realy if you want the best GBA compat then it's a DSLite you want plus a M3Real & GBA expantion (Original DS does not have a back light so kinda sucks there) if you are not fussed about GBA then a 3DS/3DSXL or DSi/DSiXL is the best option and an AceKard2i [Note that these consoles have updates and may block the card at points and you must update the flash kits before updating the consoles] (SuperCardDSTwo can give you a GBA emulator I would consider that as a second card only and is not compatible with latest DSi/3DS update)

Overall for the DS, the DSLite is maybe the best option due to never needing to worry about updates as that console never had this issue plus GBA compatibility is near perfect and some DS games require things plugged into slot 2 such as Guitar Hero games that can't be played on the newer DSi or 3DS
    Last edited by Zorlon; 14th-November-2012 at 17:44.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post: