Thread: Do-It-Yourself PSX modchip guides.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 166 Posts
    EP Points

Default Do-It-Yourself PSX modchip guides.

Recently, I have been making some guides on how to create your own PSX modchip using specific programmers and sometimes its original software and using MM3 hex. MM3 is the best hex for your PSX as it bypasses 90-99% of of the games with the newest piracy protection (Spyro 3 and Crash Bash have been tested and they work just fine). I've been trying to make these guide's step by step and simple as possible. I will make more guide's for more programmers as i go along. If you have any questions, comments and/or problems about my guides, leave a reply and ill get to it as soon as i can possible. If you have a programmer and i dont have a guide on it. Be sure to leave a reply and i will try to guide you through it (I can make a guide for that programmer as well for people that dont know how).

*Important Note 1* If your installing the MM3 chip into the SCPH-100X series, it will NOT be stealth due to way that model has been made... meaning that you wont be able to play games with any anti-piracy protection. The best hex for this series is "Stealth 2.8" which is included in my hex pack but will not play all anti-piracy protected games (60-75% Success Rate).

*Important Note 2* If your installing the MM3 chip into a SCPH-102 (PAL), it will NOT work correctly. If your installing it into a SCPH-100 (JAP) and 101 (USA) console, it will work just fine. There's is a HEX for SCPH-102 (PAL) which is called ONEChip. The ONEChip hex thats located in my hex pack has the NTSC boot fix in it so theres no need for a boot disc to play NTSC games. The success rate on anti-piracy protected games is unknown at this time. If you plan on playing NTSC games on a PAL PSone with board PM-41(2) with a scart cable, you will need to do a color fix mod (Very easy, only takes 1 peice of wire) if you want to play NTSC games in Color and not in B/W. The diagram is in my diagram pack along with the other diagrams.

*Important Note 3 * If you plan on installing a MM3 chip into a japanese console, it will require you to use import player to play NTSC-U and PAL Games. NTSC-J back-up games will run out of the box. Special thanks to jinnpan for the extra information.

Guide for Genius Programmer G540/840 and using its original software (PDF).
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Guide For Generic Programmer PRG-017/DIY-1XX series and using USB PIC PRG Re.130.
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Hex pack.
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Install Diagrams.
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. If you dont feel confident about anything related to mod-chips i do sell these chips and also offer installation services.

Also i would like to hear success storys if you have the time .

Video on how a mod-chip works:

Example on how installing the chip is like.
    Last edited by Zer0-2k11; 25th-March-2013 at 14:04.

I notice my uploads are taken down, i am the the process of reuploading
    If you like any of my uploads, be sure to hit the "Thanks" button
    Every month i try to add new games. For my list of uploads, check out here
    Need your console modded?, check out my store here

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zer0-2k11 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Nice tutorial, just a heads up. The MM3 will require to patch or use importplayer in order to play import games in the following models

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thats not your video, is it?

Thanks

The 1001/2 has two motherboard version and you are missing one of the diagrams for it

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by jinnpan View Post
    Nice tutorial, just a heads up. The MM3 will require to patch or use importplayer in order to play import games in the following models

Jinn is that you from PSX-Scene, Assembler?. Thank you for letting me know im gonna edit first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    Thats not your video, is it?
    nah, but i thought its a great piece of information i should add.

The 1001/2 has two motherboard version and you are missing one of the diagrams for it
    I got it from eurasia. i thought 1001/2 were the same?. do you happen to have the diagrams for it?.

Thanks

yeah, it's me jinn from psx-scene and assembler, I had to make a new account because I was not able to reply to any post. a

I will update get you the diagrams for both boards 1001/2 boards

Is there is BST section here?
    Last edited by jinnpan; 17th-November-2012 at 10:13.

Thanks
    EP Points

yeah, it's me jinn from psx-scene and assembler, I had to make a new account because I was not able to reply to any post. a

I will update get you the diagrams for both boards 1001/2 boards

Is there is BST section here?
    Thank you jinn. BST? buy sell trade? u mean?. Yup its called the pawn shop here

Thanks
    EP Points

I can't get the links in the OP to work right now. I'm assuming they've died? Any chance you could re-upload?

Also, has the MM3 hex code been updated for PIC 12F629? Is that right?

A couple more questions, sorry! I'm hoping to be MM3 modding a PAL playstation (not a PSone) - does this change the video output at all? Will i need different AV cables? Can i just insert an NTSC-region backup disc and have it run at 60hz? Any other tricks or additions to know about, including to the MM3 hex?
    Last edited by buttersoft; 9th-September-2014 at 05:48.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to buttersoft For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Well,

I ended up using a Onechip hex from Eurasia with a PIC 12C508A programmed via a K150. (I think you have to do this next bit, i only found it one place on the web, but it worked for me) Read the blank chip first, taking note of the final bit as it's the Internal Oscillator. Then edit the Onechip hex so the final bit matches the Internal_OSC bit you just read. Then program.

(The Onechip is for PSOne only, not PS1)

I installed using the FatCat.co.nz 6-wire diagram. Gave the 8-wire a go and nearly fried my PSOne. Undid the mistakes, replaced a resistor, and the 6 wire works fine. Not like i'm going to buy any NTSC or NTSC-J originals anyway
    Last edited by buttersoft; 14th-March-2015 at 13:25.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to buttersoft For This Useful Post: