Thread: Action Replay 4M Auto Plus

Thanks

Default Action Replay 4M Auto Plus

Have you guys ever tested the Action Replay 4M Auto Plus?
    Does it work properly on real hardware without any kind of modding?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I own one for the Saturn but what exactly are you asking here

What do you think the Action Replay 4M Auto is used for???

I have yet to test on the games that use specific 1M and 4M Ram carts but the Action Replay works great and the backup memory also works great, though does not act as a standard memcard, instead you can backup the Saturns internal mem while you have the Action Replay 4M plus booted

If you get an old one you may need to mod it to make it more compatible http://www.shinforce.com/saturn/info...4MBRAM-mod.htm

Here is a compat list for the 1M Ram to 4M Ram games and 1M Rom games http://www.shinforce.com/saturn/RAMCompatibility.htm

Here is a list of the carts http://www.shinforce.com/saturn/info...Cartridges.htm

P.S. My Action Replay 4M Plus is a newer one and does not have the comunications port on it at all and does not need any modding (I opened it up just to check)

there are a total of 26 games that use extra ram 24 are covered with the Action Replay 4M Plus, 2 are not compatible with the AR4M+ but those do not require the extra ram, the only carts that work with those 2 games are packaged with the game (Ultraman & King of Fighters 95) but as I said they do not require the extra memory but you will not be able to play the 1M ROM mode (ROM mode is not supported by the AR4M+ only RAM modes)

If the above is not what you are asking please explain a lil more than just does it work on real hardware, all the above works just fine on an unmodded console including playing imports you may of purchased.

P.S. I can test out the RAM features if you like there are a few games I am yet to play, I'm currently playing Shining Force III Scenerio 3, been playing through those for a few days now
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-November-2012 at 13:51. Reason: typo's

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I've used mine with both European and Japanese Saturns. None of them have been modded in any way. The cartridge itself is compatible with Saturns from any region and basically does four things, hence the 4M in the name:

-defeats region protection to play imports
    -functions as a RAM expansion for games that require it (see Zorlon's post)
    -works as a bog standard cheat cartridge
    -acts as a backup for save files

What it WON'T do (and I'm assuming this is what you're asking) is run copied games. You need a modchip for that.
    Last edited by Cosmic; 10th-November-2012 at 13:55.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Grape View Post
    What it WON'T do (and I'm assuming this is what you're asking) is run copied games. You need a modchip for that.
    Makes it easier to do the swop/swap trick though I will go into that if that is what is being asked but that still can't be done without some minor modding anyway (very very minor, no solder work needed) I use CD-R's on one of my Saturn's, infact Shining Force III Scenerio 3 is the translated version, otherwise it's Jap only, this is burned onto CD-R as there is no pressed copy of it translated to buy, I don't have any mod chips or intend to buy one either.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-November-2012 at 14:36. Reason: I can give out the other info if asked for :P

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 166 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Makes it easier to do the swop/swap trick though .
    Very true, it did make the swap trick much easier. The Action Replay 4in1 card is plug "n" play I own one as well. I used it when i was using the swap trick, it was awesome. I just did region free bios mod about 3-4 months ago and alternated a racketboy modchip for a model 1 sega saturn around the same time. Bought me xmen vs street fighter with the JAP 4MB Ram Cart so no more going through action replay menus to play or patching the region anymore .
    Last edited by Zer0-2k11; 27th-November-2012 at 00:56.

I notice my uploads are taken down, i am the the process of reuploading
    If you like any of my uploads, be sure to hit the "Thanks" button
    Every month i try to add new games. For my list of uploads, check out here
    Need your console modded?, check out my store here

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zer0-2k11 View Post
    Very true, it did make the swap trick much easier. The Action Replay 4in1 card is plug "n" play I own one as well no modding needed.
    Yes it does you need to mod the lid censor to act as if it's always closed

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Yes it does you need to mod the lid censor to act as if it's always closed
    If you going into that much detail about the swap trick then yes you do have to do that obviously. The swap trick is a common mod in most cd based systems, didnt think i had to explain that part of it. I wouldn't consider that a mod but others may though.
    Last edited by Zer0-2k11; 27th-November-2012 at 00:48.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

to say without modding would make it work directly, without needing to do anything else to the machine that is not true

please be carefull how you word things as members may just go out there way to buy an action replay 4 plus thinking it will make the saturn be able to play backups when it doesn't

the cart itself is worth getting as it is the most compaible cart for games that use extra ram, it ticks more boxes than any other ram cart, it also makes a great save backup system and yeah the action replay codes are a bonus
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-November-2012 at 00:51.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

to say without modding would make it work directly, without needing to do anything else to the machine that is not true

please be carefull how you word things as members may just go out there way to buy an action replay 4 plus thinking it will make the saturn be able to play backups when it doesn't
    Thats why i mentioned the swap trick hence other things needed... any smart person would google about it before buying an action replay cart.

*Edited that post...*
    Last edited by Zer0-2k11; 27th-November-2012 at 00:55.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Not everyone is that clever to automaticly do that, thats why forums like this exist in the first place.

You need only look at the first post to see that.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]