Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it safe to softmod a new Wii with firmware 4.3 already installled?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Is it safe to softmod a new Wii with firmware 4.3 already installled?

I want to buy this one:

http://www.unicoshop.com.br/p/212201...ante+Wii+Wheel

Sorry it's a brazilian site but this is the Wii that come with mario kart wii and it can play gamecube games!

This is a recent manufactured Wii and I think it will come with firmware 4.3, can someone confirm that?

Anyway Is it 100% safe? Can I softmod this brand new out of the box Wii with 4.3 already installed with Letterbomb? This Wii will be just like any other softmoded Wii? I mean only the process of softmodding will be different but it will have the same functions as a old softmodded white Wii?
    "Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within
    the heart of mankind." - Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The only thing you will lack is the same thing every newer wii lacks that is DVD-R/DVD+R readability so DVD burns will not work, you will have to run everything from HDD

You will have an advantage of having most the updated cios files needed by newer games and SD WiiWare running that older Wii consoles do not have off the bat (there will be some that do still updating though)

Korean consoles may have issues though and you have a high risk of bricking while trying to mod it

The process is little different in places but overall a 4.3 Wii is fine to mod so read up on that before going ahead, make sure you have everything needed ect...
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-November-2012 at 10:41.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks Zorlon! Can I simply download MODMII from this site: http://modmii.zzl.org/home.html and follow the instructions in the program itself? I mean this looks like the easier/safer way cause it will generate a SD card with all files needed based on my Wii specs and I think it will be a lot safer than using a guide. What do you think?

EDIT: Ok I'm installing MODMII just to get used to it and I'm simulating a Wii with firmware 4.3U and I found this screen:

MODMII.jpg

How about the Letterbomb thing? This Wilbrand (Discless) is safe? So many options that I got a little nervous to brick my future Wii!

Searching in the internet looks safe but I would be more confident if someone that already used this softmod method could say it here.
    Last edited by Bruno; 8th-November-2012 at 11:21.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I would recomend using a guide just to get the main part done then use ModMii to finish the job, I don't know if you can run ModMii on 4.3 Wii's or not I didn't use it

http://gbatemp.net/threads/modify-an...-below.171901/ I used the Letterbomb method (no games required) on my kid bros 4.3E Wii (modded a few days after he got it, it was on 4.3E to start with)

With your edit I don't see why not I presume Wiibrand is just the letterbomb that I know works fine.

For a letterbomb you need the MAC Address from your Wii then on the wii once letter bomb is on the SD you go into your Wii Messageboard and look for the letter it's not always on the current day I think it was on the previous day for my kid bro's and heard different results for others but it works just fine, just the letter may not appear on the current date
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-November-2012 at 11:30.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Ok thx man! I wanted to use this guide you posted to begin with but then I thought that MODMII would be better but since you used this GBAtemp guide yourself on a 4.3 Wii I will use the same one just to be safe!

So I'm guessing you used this part of the tutorial and all went well:

Modify 4.2/4.3
    The actual hacking guide for 4.2/4.3. Only will work for those on a 4.2/4.3 firmware.

Setting up the SD Card
    1st download the precompiled link mod.zip by emailing [email protected] (you should get a reply with links in a few seconds).
    FORMAT your SD card.
    Extract the "mod.zip" & put the files onto a SD card & insert the SD card into the Wii (unless you are using Letterbomb, then keep it in the computer).

Installing The Homebrew Channel & Bootmii via exploit.

Letterbomb
    For all Wii's on 4.3.
    WARNING! Spoilers inside!
    First, go to your sd card you just copied everything to, and delete the private folder.
    Now, power on the Wiim and go to Settings -> Internet -> Console Information and write down the MAC Address.
    Next, go to the Letterbomb site, select your region, type in the MAC Address you copied above, uncheck Bundle the HackMii Installer for Me, fill in the captcha and cut either wire.
    It will begin downloading a small zip file, open this file, and you will see a private folder, copy and paste it into the root of the sd card.
    Now you can place the sd card into the Wii and power it on (if it isn't already).
    Go to the Messageboard and navigate to Yesterday (depending on your timezone, it could also show up under Today).
    Click on the envelope with the pinkish Bomb looking thingy.
    This runs the Hackmii Installer from which you should install the Homebrew Channel & Bootmii as IOS & boot2 if possible.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I looked at modMii and the discless method is just the letter bomb

I'm sure both are going to be much the same, but modmii could very well be the better option as it does look for updated mods ect..

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

OK thx a lot! you even got the trouble to look into MODMII!

So I'm going to buy this Wii use MODMII and be happy

Just some questions:

I never played in a HD before so all games works perfectly?
    any slowdowns like PS2 using USB? (read that some place on the net)
    How about games that don't work is it possible to be fixed in the future?
    Metroid Prime Trilogy seems to need some changes "alt.dol methods" to work any idea why and if it's going to be this way forever?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No slowdowns at all, the disc reading is slower than HDD reading DVD-R and DVD+R is slower again

There have been fixes for games that previously had issues like Sam & Max that would only let you play the main menu, now the it's fully functional

Metroid Prime Trilogy isn't that bad it works perfect once it's setup correctly, depends on the loader aswell if it saves your setup or if you manually pick how it runs every time, I do have the original of this game but now I only play from HDD because it's easier.

There are very few games that do not work, infact can't actually think of any that don't work at all

EDIT:- I never got round to testing the newer GameCube HDD method though so I only know of Wii games on HDD, emulators seem to run nice from what I have tested mostly retro lighgun games NES SNES Mastersystem and Megadrive, just the main 8bit and 16bit Sega/Nintendo consoles, I do most my older console emulation with my xbox1
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-November-2012 at 13:44.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

That's ok! You already did too much for me. Now I'm confident to mod my new Wii!

I was thinking to wait for Wii U but it will cost to much where I live and softmods in my humble opinion will take forever! Not even 3DS can run games with a flashcart

If you have time can you give me a example in how would be the better way to run Metroid Prime Trilogy?
    Last edited by Bruno; 8th-November-2012 at 13:51.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

DSware/DS shop software hasn't been cracked either and that was around a lil while before the 3DS and is mostly DS type software, with a few DSi games and 3DS exscusives

Not every console does get modded with software not every console has been cracked, mod chip or otherwise

There are still realy old systems that have yet to recieve emulation aswell and or good emulation

I will grab myself a Wii U once prices drop actually the same goes for the PSPVita, unfortionatly been out of work now for a lil over a month so cash flow is well there isn't any I may even need to move the way things are currently going

modding software wise comes quick for some machines others it takes alot longer, PSP was very quick as was the Wii, but PS2 came long after the machine was at it's hayday and is much a dead system now but with so much love for it coders have done great things for it since, the Dreamcast didn't need much doing to it anyway but this machine still gets codded for even today, GameCube was prolly about mid prime for it's software mods, that were good for it at the time but nothing to the mods on the Wii

GameCube was possibly the first to take on soft modding properly, there have been others in the form of boot CD's and DVD's previously like for PSone/PSX (Action Replay and other cheat discs and even mod boot discs) Dreamcast has a boot CD you can just burn (for imports and none Mil-CD games) PS2 has the well known SwapMagic & cheat discs used for some swop methods, before that it was mostly either a machine could play CD-R games anyway or used some sort of swop method or there had been a disc drive or flash kit made

Retro flash kits cost far far far too much now, alot are redeveloped aswell but that doesn't excuse the price tags
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-November-2012 at 14:21.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Ow you really are a game encyclopedia!

I wish they would build a console entirely to play old games so we would never need a emulator again. I don't know something like Steam but for older consoles. Don't know if it's a good idea but I would love it! that's why I want a Wii it's not about graphics it's about fun and classics!

And I wish you the best luck to find a nice job so you can buy all the consoles and handhelds you want!

Thanks

I've recently softmodded my 4.3 Wii as well, so if you run into trouble I'll do my best to help you out.

For on the way I have a few tips:
    - A lot of guides will suggest using some kind of "wad manager" (wad files are for installing wiiware and virtual console games, as well as a couple of wii channels). You're better off using Multi Mod Manager, though.
    - To load Wii games from USB you'll need a USB Loader of some kind. I like the one called "Configurable USB Loader", not sure if it's the 'best' one but it works wonders for me. Also, a utility called WiiBackupManager is great for transferring isos from your PC to your USB plus converting the iso to WBFS format (cuts out unnecessary data and saving a lot of space)
    - To load GameCube games from USB you'll need to install something called Dios Mios. You'll also need DiscEx (found on the page of Dios Mios) to convert GC isos to the correct format (it has a compression function as well, but it requires you to use the command prompt, I can help you with that if you need)

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just so you know gcm format is iso format and does not need converting, just rename the silly thing compression is good though aslong as it does not cause any slow down issues

For exampe some PSP games if compressed will either not run or lag badly so it either needs less compression or totally uncompressed other games will run fine on the highest compression though (the example is with PSP because I have yet to bother with GC from HDD as my Wii is fine at reading DVD-/+R media, because my Wii is old)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-November-2012 at 19:23.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Lol, I never knew

Still, you'll need DiscEx to prepare the iso for USB loading, it places the iso in an appropriately named folder along with a couple of small files that make them workable with USB loaders. The compression is just an added bonus So far I didn't experience any slowdowns. According to the devs, there are no slowdowns during gameplay, the only thing that may happen is slightly longer loading times (and we're talking 1-3 seconds, that's nothing when you consider saving storage space).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fazermint View Post
    Lol, I never knew

Still, you'll need DiscEx to prepare the iso for USB loading, it places the iso in an appropriately named folder along with a couple of small files that make them workable with USB loaders. The compression is just an added bonus So far I didn't experience any slowdowns. According to the devs, there are no slowdowns during gameplay, the only thing that may happen is slightly longer loading times (and we're talking 1-3 seconds, that's nothing when you consider saving storage space).
    I've been fine with just putting the iso on my HDD and loading it, no additional compression needed or anything. You do have to put it in a folder with the game's game ID, which can be found by a quick google search.

But Wii games I have been using the WBFS manager to put it in and convert it to WBFS format, seems to be working pretty well.

Just a note to what Zorlon said, gamecube games work fine off of HDD. I finally managed to get mine set up a few weeks ago and have been loving the super mario sunshine/mario kart double dash