Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gaming memories

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    I feel like we've done this before. Maybe I'm losing my mind.
    Trust me, I've answered this thread probably 20 times now in various incarnations.

Thanks

Oh, sorry. Had no idea that this was posted so many times before

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    Trust me, I've answered this thread probably 20 times now in various incarnations.
    Deja, deja, deja, deja-vu?

Last edited by Gypsy; 9th-November-2012 at 15:47.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by toshineon View Post
    Oh, sorry. Had no idea that this was posted so many times before
    It's okay! The forums have been around for such a long time now that making completely new threads is often difficult. And this is always a pretty fun one, and requires much more thoughtful input than just reeling off lists of games. So I don't think anyone will object too much to it being dug back up.

Anyway, some of mine:

Spoiler warning:

- Playing Soulblade growing up with my cousin and little brother. We must have put well over 300 hours into that game, and for a long time it was more or less all we talked about / did when we met up. :'D There were plenty of other fighting games after and before that that I went through varying stages of obsession with, but none that were even remotely comparable. It had such a big impact on the three of us that to this day, whenever we're together we'll invariably wind up putting on Soulblade for a few games.

- Christmas of 2002, when I received Kingdom Hearts. I didn't particularly like the game, and still don't. Yet somehow the memories of playing it on the big TV in the living room that Christmas as my two brothers watched are extremely important to me. I think it's because at that point, my emotional state was pretty much going down the toilet, and I really wasn't happy at all. Being able to escape for a couple of weeks into playing a videogame with my brothers (and a videogame themed after Disney, one of my other childhood loves, no less!) was really comforting to me, and I still look back on it as one of the few happy memories from what were a couple of very, very bad years for me.

- The two or three years I spent obsessed with Final Fantasy VII. And I really mean obsessed. I must have played it about thirteen or fourteen times from start to finish, as well as having countless files I took to various points of the game. I was suffering from terrible bullying in school at the time, and pretty much used the game as a comfort blanket, seeking solace in its world and characters to escape my own life. It was one of those games that wound up being more than just a game to me.

More than that, though, Final Fantasy VII was important to me because it introduced me to Kris. Kris was one of my brother's friends in high school, and since he didn't have a Playstation and wanted to play Final Fantasy VII, he would come over to our house every weekend to play it, each week progressing a little further. Since I knew the game ridiculously well by that point, I pretty much sat there and guided him through it, and while doing so, I got to know him quite well.

Kris was... well he was kind of an angel. His family were quite rich, but rather than that making him spoiled or bratty, he seemed only to want to share what he had with others. Every time he came to our house he'd bring our family big bags of chocolate and flowers for my mum, hundreds if not thousands of pounds' worth of games and toys that he had finished with would be passed on to our family for free (I think I still have about fifteen PC games that he gave us), and as if he sensed that I was more than a little bit damaged and introverted, he was incredibly kind and gentle to me, and really helped to bring me out of my shell.

I had never met anyone quite so generous and sweet in my life to that point. I had grown up in a very poor family with two very competitive brothers, and all three of us were fiercely protective of our own little corners of the world. Meeting Kris changed all that. Meeting Kris made me realise what was really important in life, and showed me the sort of person I wanted to be. Those weekends spent sitting beside him guiding him through Final Fantasy VII and chatting to him about all sorts of things are some of my most precious childhood memories.

- Playing co-op games with my brothers (lots of them, really, but Streets of Rage, Toejam and Earl and Secret of Mana in particular). While my two brothers were always very similar in terms of interests growing up, I was always a little bit different, and we weren't very close as a result. But then we started playing co-op games together. And after spending dozens of hours playing together with them and working toward the same goal, the three of us were soon all but inseparable. It sounds silly, but my two brothers are now two of my best friends in the whole world, and I think the seeds of that friendship were planted back in those days as we played games together.

- Playing Grandia for the first time. I had played Japanese games before (actually, I'd wager a majority of the games I had played until then were Japanese), but it was the first Japanese game I can remember playing where I was really consciously aware of its country of origin, and probably the first one that made me feel that I might be interested in learning the Japanese language, even if it was nothing more than a vague inkling in those days. Given that I am now a Japanese major, that I am currently living in Japan, and that learning a foreign language has taught me so many things about both myself and the world, I can't help but look back on those first moments of curiosity fondly.

- Playing Xenosaga Episode III during the Christmas holidays in 2006. I originally played and obsessed over Xenogears a couple of months before I crashed out of high school, played the first two episodes of Xenosaga over the next couple of years as I gradually put myself back together, and played the third and final episode about a month after I took my tentative first steps back into education / the real world. So I think I'll always associate the games with that three or four year period in my life. And playing Xenosaga III was a really precious experience for me because as I said goodbye to a series I had really loved, I found myself thinking back over how much I had changed in the years of the games' releases, and just how much better things had become for me. Of course it helps that it was an absolutely fabulous game in its own right, and a brilliant ending to the Xenosaga series.

- Getting my first CD burner, finding out that you could download Playstation games, and finally getting to play games like Chrono Cross, Xenogears and Valkyrie Profile. I was nuts about RPGs during my early teens, and we missed out on sooooo many great titles from the Playstation era here in Europe. Suddenly being given access to them all at once was pretty amazing, and I'm pretty sure I got shivers up my spine when I first booted a burn of Chrono Cross and saw the Squaresoft logo.

Much more important, though, was that my ventures into Playstation piracy led me to this community, and to a group of friends who I have now known for almost ten years. I wasn't happy at all back then. In fact, I can't really think of a time when I was less happy. But when I look back on those times I can't help but smile because of all the good times I had with people here discussing games and downloading titles new and old. I think venturing into an internet community for the first time and getting to know so many wonderful people back then saw me through some very tough times, and I don't dare to think where I might have been now had I not ended up here.
    Last edited by Elin; 10th-November-2012 at 07:46.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elin View Post
    It's okay! The forums have been around for such a long time now that making completely new threads is often difficult. And this is always a pretty fun one, and requires much more thoughtful input than just reeling off lists of games. So I don't think anyone will object too much to it being dug back up.

Anyway, some of mine:

Spoiler warning:

- Playing Soulblade growing up with my cousin and little brother. We must have put well over 300 hours into that game, and for a long time it was more or less all we talked about / did when we met up. :'D There were plenty of other fighting games after and before that that I went through varying stages of obsession with, but none that were even remotely comparable. It had such a big impact on the three of us that to this day, whenever we're together we'll invariably wind up putting on Soulblade for a few games.

- Christmas of 2002, when I received Kingdom Hearts. I didn't particularly like the game, and still don't. Yet somehow the memories of playing it on the big TV in the living room that Christmas as my two brothers watched are extremely important to me. I think it's because at that point, my emotional state was pretty much going down the toilet, and I really wasn't happy at all. Being able to escape for a couple of weeks into playing a videogame with my brothers (and a videogame themed after Disney, one of my other childhood loves, no less!) was really comforting to me, and I still look back on it as one of the few happy memories from what were a couple of very, very bad years for me.

- The two or three years I spent obsessed with Final Fantasy VII. And I really mean obsessed. I must have played it about thirteen or fourteen times from start to finish, as well as having countless files I took to various points of the game. I was suffering from terrible bullying in school at the time, and pretty much used the game as a comfort blanket, seeking solace in its world and characters to escape my own life. It was one of those games that wound up being more than just a game to me.

More than that, though, Final Fantasy VII was important to me because it introduced me to Kris. Kris was one of my brother's friends in high school, and since he didn't have a Playstation and wanted to play Final Fantasy VII, he would come over to our house every weekend to play it, each week progressing a little further. Since I knew the game ridiculously well by that point, I pretty much sat there and guided him through it, and while doing so, I got to know him quite well.

Kris was... well he was kind of an angel. His family were quite rich, but rather than that making him spoiled or bratty, he seemed only to want to share what he had with others. Every time he came to our house he'd bring our family big bags of chocolate and flowers for my mum, hundreds if not thousands of pounds' worth of games and toys that he had finished with would be passed on to our family for free (I think I still have about fifteen PC games that he gave us), and as if he sensed that I was more than a little bit damaged and introverted, he was incredibly kind and gentle to me, and really helped to bring me out of my shell.

I had never met anyone quite so generous and sweet in my life to that point. I had grown up in a very poor family with two very competitive brothers, and all three of us were fiercely protective of our own little corners of the world. Meeting Kris changed all that. Meeting Kris made me realise what was really important in life, and showed me the sort of person I wanted to be. Those weekends spent sitting beside him guiding him through Final Fantasy VII and chatting to him about all sorts of things are some of my most precious childhood memories.

- Playing co-op games with my brothers (lots of them, really, but Streets of Rage, Toejam and Earl and Secret of Mana in particular). While my two brothers were always very similar in terms of interests growing up, I was always a little bit different, and we weren't very close as a result. But then we started playing co-op games together. And after spending dozens of hours playing together with them and working toward the same goal, the three of us were soon all but inseparable. It sounds silly, but my two brothers are now two of my best friends in the whole world, and I think the seeds of that friendship were planted back in those days as we played games together.

- Playing Grandia for the first time. I had played Japanese games before (actually, I'd wager a majority of the games I had played until then were Japanese), but it was the first Japanese game I can remember playing where I was really consciously aware of its country of origin, and probably the first one that made me feel that I might be interested in learning the Japanese language, even if it was nothing more than a vague inkling in those days. Given that I am now a Japanese major, that I am currently living in Japan, and that learning a foreign language has taught me so many things about both myself and the world, I can't help but look back on those first moments of curiosity fondly.

- Playing Xenosaga Episode III during the Christmas holidays in 2006. I originally played and obsessed over Xenogears a couple of months before I crashed out of high school, played the first two episodes of Xenosaga over the next couple of years as I gradually put myself back together, and played the third and final episode about a month after I took my tentative first steps back into education / the real world. So I think I'll always associate the games with that three or four year period in my life. And playing Xenosaga III was a really precious experience for me because as I said goodbye to a series I had really loved, I couldn't help but think back over how much I had changed in the years of the games' releases, and just how much better things had become for me. Of course it helps that it was an absolutely fabulous game in its own right, and a brilliant ending to the Xenosaga series.

- Getting my first CD burner, finding out that you could download Playstation games, and finally getting to play games like Chrono Cross, Xenogears and Valkyrie Profile. I was nuts about RPGs during my early teens, and we missed out on sooooo many great titles from the Playstation era here in Europe. Suddenly being given access to them all at once was pretty amazing, and I'm pretty sure I got shivers up my spine when I first booted a burn of Chrono Cross and saw the Squaresoft logo.

Much more important, though, was that my ventures into Playstation piracy led me to this community, and to a group of friends who I have now known for almost ten years. I wasn't happy at all back then. In fact, I can't really think of a time when I was less happy. But when I look back on those times I can't help but smile because of all the good times I had with people here discussing games and downloading titles new and old. I think venturing into an internet community for the first time and getting to know so many wonderful people back then saw me through some very tough times, and I don't dare to think where I might have been now had I not ended up here.
    That.....was beautiful.

Thanks
    EP Points

Let's see...

My first video game console I've ever owned was a PS1. I got it in 2000, when I was 6. The very first game I've ever played is...Megaman X4. And that, ladies and gentlemen, was what brought me to become a fan of Megaman.

Years later, I remember visiting my friend, and when I saw him playing a gameboy game on computer, that was what introduced me to the world of emulation.

Again, years later, in late 2010, I was browsing Gamefaqs when the character battle poll showed X vs. Link. I was like, "who the eff is this Link guy?" Instinctively, I chose X. However, the next day, I found out that X lost by a 1% margin. From that moment, I realized that Megaman is not the only good game out there, and I learned to give the other games a chance.
    Last edited by GeminiSparkSP; 10th-November-2012 at 10:32.

Thanks
    EP Points

I have a couple memories left in the bank. Let's see oh here's a random one. We were told to clean up the weeds on our porch and after doing so our aunt brought us to the game exchange store and we got Goldeneye 007. And i remember how happy we were because previously we had played the game with our cousins doing a fun game they called the bathroom game where you put Rockets on and whoever gets the Rocket Launcher goes into the stall where you drop from in solo mode and everyone gathers in that stall and the person would pull the trigger and we would try to escape before dying XD.
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.

Thanks
    EP Points

I remember playing my first football game back on ps1. All I did was run the other way

I remember making my first touchdown. Don't remember playing the game much after that. NBA in the zone 2 was where it's at

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaFlave View Post
    I'll never forget the Christmas that I got my NES. It was '88, and as I was unwrapping presents, one of the was the Rambo game. I remember being in shock at first since I didn't have an NES, but I was such a huge Rambo fan I really thought my parents bought it on accident thinking it was a VHS tape instead of a game. Then I unwrapped a copy of Top Gun (NES), yet another great movie and literally thought my parents lost it. After everything else was unwrapped (GI Joes, Transformers, Legos, etc), I thought the night was over and quickly forgot about those NES games (since I was a youngin). My Dad walked over to the closet and pulled out two boxes; one that was huge and one that was mid-sized. He said something to the effect of "Oh, guess we forgot to put these out." I opened the big box and it was an NES with Mario/Duckhunt and a Zapper, and the midsize box was a NES Advantage Joystick.

That was how I acquired my first gaming system, and you better believe I popped in Rambo before anything else! (I had played an NES prior to this at a friends house so I knew what to expect out of Mario).

Best part about this story (to me anyway) is that I never asked for a NES. It was just a surprise X-mas present.

Edit: I have lots of great memories, I'll be frequenting this thread

That just brought a joyful tear to my eye. Brought me back to my child hood when I got "Life Force" and "Kid Icarus" the same year for Christmas. I also remember getting Super Punch Out and FF4(states) for XMas many years later. Another awesom XMas. Unfortunately being an old angry bastard, I fear I'll never experience that feeling again. This thread should be a sticky topic...no question..

However I think I'll be getting a Drossel figure for XMas this year so perhaps I'll have a decent one...
    Last edited by retrofiber; 10th-November-2012 at 19:55.
    Try to appreciate those who live during your own life time, because we'll all be dead soon enough.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to retrofiber For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

My favorite gaming memory by far was when I found the princess in Super Mario Bros. for NES. I was a wee young lad and I didn't know that you could run and jump better by holding down B. So I would always fail at the 8th world where there was a big gap, I remember in 8-2. So one evening some friend's of my parents came over and apparently their daughters saw me playing SMB. They were like "You've found the princess, right ?" and I was like "No, I always die at this point in 8-2..". Well, they showed me how to find her. One of the most memorable and satisfying moments ever!

Thanks

Although I was really, really young (2 yrs old) at the time, I remember my birthday in 1990. My father liked playing games in arcades, and as a gift (which he would use a lot, too) he bought me a Master System. I vaguely remember him entering our house with a huge box and telling me it was a videogame. I didn't know what the hell that meant, but I learned pretty well a few minutes later, with the system hooked to my parents' bedroom TV and playing Astro Warrior. It still runs to this day, just as all of the other consoles I've bought. Occasionally, he'd also pick me up at a school and I would find a new game in the car, or other spots as soon as I'd get home. Eventually he played less on the console and more on his computer, but I kept on, getting other vg's as time passed.

Thanks
    EP Points

this is a hard question i guess some of the fondest video game memories involves being shared with other people. playing pokemon red and blue as a kid and having friends that were into it and my brothers just playing and lvling and trading with each other.

playing mortal combat and road rash and sonic and other games on sega megadrive as a boy with my brothers and friends.

doom 1 and 2 used to scare me a bit i remember. just the sounds mainly the heavy breathing and such when i was alone at night playing it with all lights turned out was kinda cool.

final fantasy 7 got it and couldn't get past the scorpion boss right at the begining and gave up on it for a while then moved house and met another guy at school that told me how awesome it was so i got stuck into it again and fell in love with it.'

i've also had a lot of fun on a particular online game over the years call tibia. i can't bear to play the game now days for more than 20 minutes but i had a hell of a lot of fun on it some years ago a lot of epic stories and memories from it.

wow answering this thread makes me remember how easy and fun life was as a boy lol.

that was beautiful elin
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 16th-November-2012 at 16:44. Reason: no double posting!

Thanks

I've remember playing Ragnarok Online for 20 hours, from 0:00 AM to 20:00 PM. I had to stop, because I was dizzy, and sleepy too. But it was worth it. I became a Knight!

Thanks
    EP Points

I remember getting crash bandicoot 3 warped when I was younger. I remember being taken to some place that sold games and I ended up getting another crash bandicoot 3 game. I insisted that it was different because it was grey (greatest hits), and the one I had at home was in color. I didn't even know what a greatest hit was back then haha. 1st grade ftw

Thanks
    EP Points

My fondest gaming memories are probably connected to playing certain classics for the first time. It was all rather magical, but maybe only in retrospect. Even still, to this day I remember walking around the starting village in Chrono Cross and just enjoying the music, crossing entire continents in FF9 while listening to this amazingly atmospheric tune; or that eerie, mysterious feeling when you first set foot in FF7's Nibelheim. As much as I love the PS2, I was already somewhat older when I bought one, so my most "nostalgic" memories are mostly from the PSX era, playing stuff like FF7-9 for the first time and such.

In all honestly, the only recent game that was able to recapture that magic was Xenoblade. The first time I played it, it was like I went back in time to the late 90s-early 00s. It's kinda hard to put into words.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Gare For This Useful Post: