Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you use a ps3 controller correctly in epsxe?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default how do you use a ps3 controller correctly in epsxe?

I have pesxe and motionjoy installed and it works ok, but when i choose the dualshock option on the menu, if it goes to analog i cant move the arrows, and if it goes to standerd then i dont feel a vibration or anything and i cant use the joysticks.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The big ass stuck thread Sony system guides has a guide for using a PS3 controller on your PC, it's listed under Controllers, you can try the option in there instead of Motion Joy

Myself I use a PS2/PSX controller to USB converter, it can also be used on a PS3 as it happens

Make sure Analog Sticks are not mixed up with the D-Pad

Only config the analog don't bother to config digital it will get auto filled

Note not all games support Analog or Dual Shock but keep your pad in analog mode, ePSXe handles both via F5 if you need to change the pad mode
    Last edited by Zorlon; 9th-January-2014 at 15:57.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

thanks. i didnt know there was another type lol. all i ever used was motionjoy.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Not had a reason to use either no idea if that will work better or not.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

given that motionjoy only seems to work half assed most of the time, i quit trying to use my ps3 controller on the computer, and switched to a wired 360 controller.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

then you can also check that thread

P.S. 360 pads have there own problems

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

do they? Please elaborate, i've not run into any with mine so far. Well i suppose the vibration feature on it isn't working, but i don't really consider that much of a problem honestly, just a minor annoyance.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin329 View Post
    do they? Please elaborate, i've not run into any with mine so far. Well i suppose the vibration feature on it isn't working, but i don't really consider that much of a problem honestly, just a minor annoyance.
    The vibration issue was solved a couple years back and should be in a sticky somewhere and there's a problem of the triggers not working simultaneously for example escaping in a Final Fantasy game

Thanks
    EP Points

guess i never noticed the trigger issue, since i'm not in the habit of running away in final fantasy games
    Last edited by rmcin329; 9th-January-2014 at 20:48. Reason: correcting spelling error

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin329 View Post
    guess i never noticed the trigger issue, since i'm not in the habit of running away in final fantasy games
    Yeah there's really no need for it

besides one could always bind the bumpers in place of the triggers too which works

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I can think of more things that the triggers become a problem with in emulation in general asides from psx soft reset (4 triggers + select & start) & FF games, but this is not the thread for it.

I do use a generalized shock drivers that works with most pads including 360 pads

Of all the options though (PSX, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360 & Wii Motes, maybe others) I still go back to using a PS2 pad via a USB converter, it's reliable the buttons all work as they should do ect and I still like the feel of the pads

I would if I played any use a 360 pad for PC games that are designed for 360 pads, handy for those games like Resi 4 that have that Press A+B thing for QTE moments, that gets a lil eh when you use a PS2 or PS3 pad and you see press A+B.... another good reason to use a Playstation pad for playstation software

Press X... eh A is X

A PS3 pad is going to be great I assume if the drivers work ok i.e. use the one that is not Motion Joy
    Last edited by Zorlon; 9th-January-2014 at 21:29.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

i downloaded the sixaxis driver and did the directions. i prefer it so far over the motionjoy.

Thanks

I didn't know there was a sixaxis driver gonna try it i hate that motionjoy needs a net connection to use anytime my net goes down im controllerless so yeah thanks!

Thanks

i use my 360 pad for everything. PS3 controller is faaaaar too light and i cant stand it. plus, the 360 analogs are a lot more comfortable. playing PS games with it isnt a problem. if you dont automatically know the location of X, Square, Triangle, Circle/A, X, Y, B...then im sure you get LB, RB and L1 and R1 mixed up as well no brainer. the six axis driver will be wonderful tho since my kids broke all but one of my wired 360 controllers AND my wireless receiver. got a few PS3 controllers to dabble with.

Thanks
    EP Points

one thing to know about the sixaxis driver, doesnt have rumbe ability. but you dont need to be connected to the internet.