Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First fighting game?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by retrofiber View Post
    That being said...Fucking Nintendo...I guess they always had their shit together...
    Spoiler warning:

Clearly

The first fighting type game I remember was definitely the original Punch Out (whichever version). I remember never being able to figure out how to beat the Hippo King dude having been so young.

For a more standard fighter I remember renting Super Street Fighter 2 (the new challengers I think?). Strangely enough at the time I was only ever able to play through to Bison using Dhalsim :/
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

Wow, surprised to see how little Soul Caliber is mentioned here...

The first fighting game for me was (I believe) Mortal Kombat 4. I didn't play it a whole lot because it was at my aunt's house, but when I was over there that was all we'd do.

The first fighting game I actually owned was Soul Calibur 3. My brother and I would play that crap out of that game. He still is in love with the whole series.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by dritz33 View Post
    Wow, surprised to see how little Soul Caliber is mentioned here...
    As a "first fighting game played"? Youngins :/
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by retrofiber View Post
    Oh yes, they were both horrible. But being that the question was "first fighting game" and not "Best"...
    Dude, do you remember the arcade cab of the original Street Fighter with those two big ass buttons on it that people would pound on? One was for punch and the other kick. I think the harder you hit it the harder Ryu would attack in the game. We were visiting relatives up near Chicago one summer and I saw the machine in the local arcade there. I was fairly young at the time and had no interest in playing it, but I'll never forget watching two guys beat the hell from the machine, haha.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Golgo 13 View Post
    Dude, do you remember the arcade cab of the original Street Fighter with those two big ass buttons on it that people would pound on? One was for punch and the other kick. I think the harder you hit it the harder Ryu would attack in the game. We were visiting relatives up near Chicago one summer and I saw the machine in the local arcade there. I was fairly young at the time and had no interest in playing it, but I'll never forget watching two guys beat the hell from the machine, haha.
    Damn I didn't know there was ever a pressure sensitive arcade fighter. Kind of an annoying concept haha.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SpuzzHardwick View Post
    Damn I didn't know there was ever a pressure sensitive arcade fighter. Kind of an annoying concept haha.
    Yeah, I remember reading somewhere a while back that those machines were so abused and barely worked. I remember some arcade collector on YouTube was complaining about getting one in working order, and also I guess they are a bitch to fix too. Gotta love that old tech

Thanks
    EP Points

International karate +, absolute tripe by todays standards.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaurman View Post
    International karate +, absolute tripe by todays standards.
    I remember playing the arcade a lot with my bro when I was a kid

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The first one I ever remember picking up was Super Smash Bros. (the original N64 version at a friends house)
    It was a pretty weird experience, as before then pretty much the only games I had ever played were Legend of Zelda and Fire Emblem on my cousins old SNES.
    I enjoyed it a lot, but never really got much into fighters after that.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Tekken 3

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Mortal Kombat for the Game Boy. It sucked.

Next was Street Fighter 2 and the first I owned was Super Smash Bros.

Thanks

The first fighting game that I fully remember playing is Mortal Kombat.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Street Fighter 2 - SNES
    Super Street Fighter 2 - SNES
    Fatal Fury Special - SNES

The good ol days

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Golgo 13 View Post
    Ya know, I cant be 100% sure if I ever saw that game in a cabinet. If I did it was once, perhaps at Ann & Hope, which was the equivalent of Wal Mart in my area back in the 80's (which now that I think of it was where I first saw Karate Champ And Ikari Warriors 2). My more solid memories of the original SF was on T.G. 16.
    Try to appreciate those who live during your own life time, because we'll all be dead soon enough.

Thanks
    EP Points

Double dragon for the nes