Thread: Burning Dreamcast Games

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Burning Dreamcast Games

So a few years ago I successfully burned Ikaruga to a CD-R (or was it a DVD-R?) and got it to work on my DC with ease. I've since totally blanked on how to do this again!

For instance I want to try burning Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

1) Where do I start? Do I get a .iso of it?
    2) And what program do I use for burning?
    3)And is it indeed onto a CD-R?

If this question has been asked a million times I apologize. Feel free to delete this thread and PM the answers to my questions or redirect me to where they can be found. I really want to start playing burned games on my DC again as it's one of my favorite systems. Help would be hugely appreciated.
    Last edited by SpuzzHardwick; 18th-October-2012 at 17:53.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It's pretty easy.

You will want a self-booting iso and alcohol 120% (or any program really, lots of people recommend diskjuggler but I'm not a big fan).

Trying to remember where a funny video describing it was but it's been years since I've seen it.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SpuzzHardwick View Post
    So a few years ago I successfully burned Ikaruga to a CD-R (or was it a DVD-R?) and got it to work on my DC with ease. I've since totally blanked on how to do this again!

For instance I want to try burning Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

1) Where do I start? Do I get a .iso of it?
    2) And what program do I use for burning?
    3)And is it indeed onto a CD-R?

If this question has been asked a million times I apologize. Feel free to delete this thread and PM the answers to my questions or redirect me to where they can be found. I really want to start playing burned games on my DC again as it's one of my favorite systems. Help would be hugely appreciated.
    1. download a SB/Selfboot/Mil-CD image basicly and CD image tagged with one of those three will work

2. Discjuggler and ImgBurn are the free options

If you go with Discjuggler free version just remember to say no if it asks you if you want to repair the disc image

If you go with Imgburn look at http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?56588 for information but for speed stick to the slowest you can with your hardware

3. The dreamcast can only read CD-R media

P.S. moved to Everything Console

Quote Originally Posted by Def P View Post
    It's pretty easy.

You will want a self-booting iso and alcohol 120% (or any program really, lots of people recommend diskjuggler but I'm not a big fan).

Trying to remember where a funny video describing it was but it's been years since I've seen it.
    There are only a small number of burning programs that can burn dreamcast games Mil-CD images
    Last edited by Zorlon; 19th-October-2012 at 00:27.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Wait so any Dreamcast .iso from this very site should work right? Or is there a difference between a .iso and a Mil-CD image? Bear with me. Standard, non-disc/booting related emulation is a breeze for me but anything involving .isos, .bios, etc. always has confused the hell out of me.
    Last edited by SpuzzHardwick; 19th-October-2012 at 14:06.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

iso is just a general term for CD image (Mil-CD is just a Normal CD that has Mil-CD code in it to make it selfboot), the image format will not be .iso though

GDI images are not burnable they are full GD-Rom dumps and can't even fit onto a standard CD and can only be used via emulation

All the ones on the main site should be Selfbootable Mil-CD images though and you burn those onto a standard CD

http://www.emuparadise.me/Sega_Dream...With-Numbers/1

If you realy want to know about the Mil-CD format look here

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Ok so I

1) downloaded ImgBurn

2) downloaded the 'Jojo's Bizarre Adventure' .iso from Emuparadise

3) opened Imgburn and chose 'Write Image File to Disc'

4) chose the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure .iso

5) it burned rather quickly, quicker than I remembered it usually taking. Then played the "finished" little jingle.

6) Put the disc in my DC. Turned it on and...

Not detected.

I think I'm almost there but must have skipped a few steps right? Where'd I go wrong?

As always Zorlon your help is always majorly appreciated.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Firstly I just put up a guide for ImgBurn here, very easy to use aswell

You may be missing the required files to burn dual session Mil-CD's with ImgBurn

Secondly it is worth checking to see if your console can read Mil-CD media, you can do that here (Not all US dreamcasts can read Mil-CD media)

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Argh it worked for me a few years ago!!!

Okay so my DC is (1) [NTSC|U] and your guide has question marks next to this type XD ?

Also what would be considered "required files to burn dual session Mil-CD's with ImgBurn" that I could be missing?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 166 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SpuzzHardwick View Post
    Argh it worked for me a few years ago!!!

Okay so my DC is (1) [NTSC|U] and your guide has question marks next to this type XD ?

Also what would be considered "required files to burn dual session Mil-CD's with ImgBurn" that I could be missing?
    I've never used ImgBurn for Dreamcast images, but ive heard it works well for dreamcast images. From my personal experience, Alcohol 120% has never let me down for burning dreamcast images so thats another program you could use if ImgBurn doesnt work out for you.

I notice my uploads are taken down, i am the the process of reuploading
    If you like any of my uploads, be sure to hit the "Thanks" button
    Every month i try to add new games. For my list of uploads, check out here
    Need your console modded?, check out my store here

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks man. I guess when all else fails, turn to alcohol! My motto for life.

But in all seriousness, this better work.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just use Discjuggler it's also free to use, the free version is fine

Things to remember when using Discjuggler

If asked to repair the CD image say no
    Lowest speed burning is not a problem with the infinate use trial version of Discjuggler it will use the slowest anyway
    Overburning should be enabled

Lowest burning speed and overburning needs to be enabled in any burning software

If you want to check the easiest thing to burn is Utopia

You can get Utopia here

Utopia is used to boot up none Mil-CD images

What you could be missing is pfctoc.dll but I covered that in my guide and even give you that file in the guide at http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?81186
    Last edited by Zorlon; 20th-October-2012 at 10:29.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

hi guys

i was, just like SpuzzHardwick, having trouble burning my DC games.
    i followed all Zorlon instructions and... nothing

then i tried burning the games at a friends old desktop, the same files i tried on my pc.
    for my surprise, it worked!!! worked perfectly!

my pc could only burn at minimum 10x, but most times, it burned much faster, even when i set the max speed to 10x
    my friend pc however suported lower speed, so i burned at maximum 8x

i recomend you burning your DC cdi files on another CD-rom unit, as it seens, the slower, the better.

hope it helps!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The lowest speed thing is fine if it's not working though even at 10x that is the lowest some burners can go then there it is very possible that there is a problem with the hardware you are burning with or it's just a low quality burner.

Nowerdays, my burns are also at 10x on my laptop but that still works perfectly for Dreamcast games.

Basicly with all burners no matter how fast or slow they can go there best quality burning is always at the slowest speed they can burn at even realy old drives that had a max of 4x, burning at 4x would fail or produce bad burns but burning at 1x would produce perfect burns, nowerdays you are not going to find a burner that can even burn at 4x CD speed

so it shouldn't matter what the lowest burn speed of a drive is that is the best quality burning speed be it 1x to 10x being the lowest but using higher burning speeds than the lowest will produce lower quality burning

If you are using a laptop and don't want to replace the internal CD/DVD wrighter you can always buy either an external (a bit costly) or you can grab a small external kit for hooking up interal HDD's and other drives to USB and use an internal desktop CD/DVD wrighter or even pick an old second hand internal CD/DVD wrighter and hope it still works

The issue you may of had may have also been a comflict in software or low rescources while burning

You need a mix of...
    Good quality CD-R media
    A good quality CD burner (lowest burning speed even if that is 10x or higher aslong as thats the burners lowest)
    Burning at burners lowest burning setting
    A good clean system that you are burning from, no viruses no fragmented sectors on the harddrive and plenty of memory & cpu free at the time of burning
    A Dreamcast that can play Mil-CD media - not all can
    A Dreamcast with a well tuned and in good working order laser unit
    Last edited by Zorlon; 7th-November-2012 at 20:43.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

New to the forum but not new to creating backups on proper blank media for different systems. I have extracted 28 zip files of the game Shenmue which exists as 3 CDI's in a folder. IMGBurn has "intelligently" informed me to put the pfctoc files into it's file on my C drive which I did. My question, before I possibly waste a CD-R, however is will this write go across 3 separate CD-R's because the source field in IMGBurn is indicating only the first CDI?

Sorry guys I just read the post where Zorlon stated that the 28 files was a "slit archive" which I now have existing as 3 CDI's in a folder. But again, will this write go across 3 seperate CD-R's?
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-December-2012 at 12:10.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yes 3 seprate CD-R's at a guess it's a shenmue game

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post: