Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Softmodded Wii Apps

Thanks
    EP Points

First, if you don't already know about them, I would recommend both the WiiBrew Wiki and GBAtemp to keep up-to-date with new releases.
    Also, I'd recommend the Homebrew Browser, which allows you to download from a repository straight onto your SD card through your Wii, so you don't need a computer.
    And, you are eventually going to need something like Wii Mod to load cIOS, WADs, etc.

As already mentioned, WiiMC is awesome.

And of course, there are all the loaders: NeoGama, Mighty Loader, USBLoader, USBLoader GX, WiiFlow, uLoader, etc.
    IIRC, only USBLoader GX and WiiFlow have full NAND emulation, and Mighty Loader is considered the easiest to use.

Also, I've been out of the scene for awhile, but if DIOS MIOS or DIOS MIOS Lite development ever continues, you may want to look into that (playing GameCube games off of either a USB external drive or SD card respectively).

Speaking of which:

It's a little out of date, but it should get you started.
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:
    Operating Systems: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Mint 15 (partition on main drive), Windows XP Profesional x64 (on separate drive)
    Mainboard: MSi 890 FXA-GD65
    Processor (CPU): AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, 3.3 GHz
    Graphics Card (GPU): HIS HD 6870 IceQ X TurboX 1GB GDDR5
    RAM: 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 594MHz (9-9-9-24)

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)
    6.39 PRO-C2 Custom Firmware
    PhotoFast CR-5400 MicroSD to MS Pro Duo Adapter Dual Slot
    SanDisk Ultra class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alakazander View Post
    First, if you don't already know about them, I would recommend both the WiiBrew Wiki and GBAtemp to keep up-to-date with new releases.
    Also, I'd recommend the Homebrew Browser, which allows you to download from a repository straight onto your SD card through your Wii, so you don't need a computer.
    And, you are eventually going to need something like Wii Mod to load cIOS, WADs, etc.

As already mentioned, WiiMC is awesome.

And of course, there are all the loaders: NeoGama, Mighty Loader, USBLoader, USBLoader GX, WiiFlow, uLoader, etc.
    IIRC, only USBLoader GX and WiiFlow have full NAND emulation, and Mighty Loader is considered the easiest to use.

Also, I've been out of the scene for awhile, but if DIOS MIOS or DIOS MIOS Lite development ever continues, you may want to look into that (playing GameCube games off of either a USB external drive or SD card respectively).

Speaking of which:

It's a little out of date, but it should get you started.
    Thanks for the apps, will for sure be checking those out And I'd used Diosmios lite a couple of times (since all I had was an SD to boot from) So now I'm working on getting the normal one set up. I've got RE1 on my wii now and am trying to boot it up (after working with this basically all morning) So hopefully it works out...

I did have a question I ran into that I couldn't find the answer for on google. When you download a gamecube game from here, it gives you something like a .gcn file. Are you supposed to convert the .gcn file wth DiscEX, or something else?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by dritz33 View Post
    When you download a gamecube game from here, it gives you something like a .gcn file. Are you supposed to convert the .gcn file wth DiscEX, or something else?
    Well, if it doesn't load the .gcn file, then I'm pretty sure you can just change the .gcn to .iso, I remember reading about people doing that so there burning software would recognize it.

If you can't do that, I'm sure Zorlon will tell you what you need to do
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:
    Operating Systems: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Mint 15 (partition on main drive), Windows XP Profesional x64 (on separate drive)
    Mainboard: MSi 890 FXA-GD65
    Processor (CPU): AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, 3.3 GHz
    Graphics Card (GPU): HIS HD 6870 IceQ X TurboX 1GB GDDR5
    RAM: 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 594MHz (9-9-9-24)

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)
    6.39 PRO-C2 Custom Firmware
    PhotoFast CR-5400 MicroSD to MS Pro Duo Adapter Dual Slot
    SanDisk Ultra class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alakazander View Post
    Well, if it doesn't load the .gcn file, then I'm pretty sure you can just change the .gcn to .iso, I remember reading about people doing that so there burning software would recognize it.

If you can't do that, I'm sure Zorlon will tell you what you need to do
    If alese fails, I'll give that a shot. Right now I've got RE1 on my HDD and I converted from .gcn to .iso using discEX, and whn I try to load it it just gives me a black screen. I'm working on looking through some videos for some steps I may have missed, so I'll see how this goes.

Still black screening when I try to boot it, going to take a break from this for a bit and then try to just change the file extensions and see if that will work any better

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

RE1 was released for the Wii aswell anyway an I beleive you can use GC controllers with it anyway

as it happens I run GC software directly from the CD/DVD drive of my Wii but I do have the 1st version Wii

If you like though I can dig out more info for you

P.S. .gcm is exactly the same format as .iso just change the file name, don't convert what doesn't need converting

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    RE1 was released for the Wii aswell anyway an I beleive you can use GC controllers with it anyway

as it happens I run GC software directly from the CD/DVD drive of my Wii but I do have the 1st version Wii

If you like though I can dig out more info for you

P.S. .gcm is exactly the same format as .iso just change the file name, don't convert what doesn't need converting
    More info would be great if it's not a bother to you And thanks for the .gcm thing, was really bugging me.

If you could find a real tutorial for Dios Mios (not lite version) that I could follow, that would be super helpful. I think I'm just going to totally reinstall diosmios.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

gbatemp has an easy enough guide

http://gbatemp.net/topic/330696-dios...-simple-guide/

Install play, couldn't be more simple, I don't think there is anything I can add to there guide to be honest

I may do some experimenting with this when I get my Wii HDD back, it's about time I updated LoaderGX anyway

Too much stuff going on at once though again, back to playing on my Saturn at the moment aswell as doing some PS2 tests
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-October-2012 at 19:10.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

gbatemp has an easy enough guide

http://gbatemp.net/topic/330696-dios...-simple-guide/

Install play, couldn't be more simple, I don't think there is anything I can add to there guide to be honest

I may do some experimenting with this when I get my Wii HDD back, it's about time I updated LoaderGX anyway

Too much stuff going on at once though again, back to playing on my Saturn at the moment aswell as doing some PS2 tests
    Alright, I uninstalled dios mios, reinstalled using the guide, and put a new game (this time Animal Crossing) on my HDD. I converted it down using the MToolbox on the DiosMios site, and hooked up my HDD to my Wii. I went to USB loader and the game showed up and all, but when I tried to run it I just got a black screen, any help?

I know animal crossing works because when I first started using this, I got animal crossing on my SD card and played it using DML.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Is the game on the 1st partition of the HDD
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-October-2012 at 20:14.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

If the game on the 1st partition of the HDD
    Well, it's on the primary active partition (as opposed to the WBFS formatted one, which I think just says primary)
    But, the actual order it shows the drives shows the WBFS one first and then the fat32 one, but I'm not sure if that makes a difference o anything, as I can't seem to reorder them.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thats the problem it must be on the first partition to work

My HDD is the same ish

Partition 1 = WBFS
    Partition 2 = WBFS
    Partition 3 = Fat

I would need to delete the first WBFS partition then make a new partition either for the whole of the empty partition or part of it, only using part of it I can then have 2 partitions in place of what once was Partition 1 WBFS, so Partitions 1 and 2 would be new unformated partitions and partition 3 would be WBFS and partition 4 would be fat, the new partitions 1 and 2 could be then formated any way I wanted but to use this I would then format partition 1 as fat partition 2 I could make WBFS again and use it to store wii games or make it something else, doesn't realy matter

after the above it would end up like...

Partition 1 = WBFS = Partition 1 = Fat32 (originally part of Partition 1)
    Partition 1 = WBFS = Partition 2 = WBFS (originally part of Partition 1)
    Partition 2 = WBFS = Partition 3 = WBFS
    Partition 3 = Fat... = Partition 4 = Fat
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-October-2012 at 20:31.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Thats the problem it must be on the first partition to work
    So, do I need to reformat, just the other way around this time?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Edited in how

You can change partitions and keep data but I know this does not work with WBFS formated drives, so no you can't

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Edited in how

You can change partitions and keep data but I know this does not work with WBFS formated drives, so no you can't
    Alright thanks a ton I don't think I'm going to go back home today, so I'll give all that a shot when I get back and post the results

Thanks again!

Thanks

Edited in how

Finally got my drives set up, and now everything works peachy