Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Softmodded Wii Apps

Thanks

Default Softmodded Wii Apps

Hey all, I've just recently softmodded my Wii. I was wondering if anyone else from this site had a softmodded Wii and could point out some apps/homebrew that is interesting/useful to have in addition to the softmod. I've only began to scratch the surface, playing games off of my SD card. But, I was really wondering about some of the more interesting things that you can do with a softmod.

Anything posted will be looked into and would be greatly appreciated, so thank in advance

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Do not change your Wii to have a black dashboard.
    To be honest, all I do is play games from HDD and emulators on SD card.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    Do not change your Wii to have a black dashboard.
    To be honest, all I do is play games from HDD and emulators on SD card.
    I've been playing games off of my SD card, but it's only an 8 gig one, so I only have room for about 2 wii games at a time. I had an old HDD lying around that I tried to set up to work with it but of course it's not compatable and the Wii can't pick it up to let me browse it :/

You wouldn't happen to know if there was a way to get multiplayer to work on downloaded games, would you? I downloaded Black Ops just for combat training, but it's under the Wi-fi connection option and when I click it it doesn't ever load. There a way around this for the Wii?

Thanks
    EP Points

I use WiiMC to watch movies I have downloaded, and USBLoader, as Jazz suggested. Other than that, there's really not much.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by dritz33 View Post
    I've been playing games off of my SD card, but it's only an 8 gig one, so I only have room for about 2 wii games at a time. I had an old HDD lying around that I tried to set up to work with it but of course it's not compatable and the Wii can't pick it up to let me browse it :/

You wouldn't happen to know if there was a way to get multiplayer to work on downloaded games, would you? I downloaded Black Ops just for combat training, but it's under the Wi-fi connection option and when I click it it doesn't ever load. There a way around this for the Wii?
    What did you do to test whether or not the HDD was "compatible?"
    Are you capable of formatting partitions on it? I can't see why ANY HDD would not be compatible if formatted properly.

Sprung, is FAT not supported now? Last I knew it was only WBFS, but Im getting old.

Thanks
    EP Points

Are you capable of formatting partitions on it? I can't see why ANY HDD would not be compatible if formatted properly.

Sprung, is FAT not supported now? Last I knew it was only WBFS, but Im getting old.
    I'm pretty sure you can do all 3 filesystems now, but FAT will limit you as far as filesize. Large games will have to be split. I use WBFS because I can shrink them, instead of just copying over an ISO...I usually save 1 -2 GB's per game that way. And no splitting.

EDIT: I also first tried an external drive that was not compatible.

Thanks

Well to be honest I didn't actually check anywhere to see. I plugged the HDD to my computer and tried to format it to WBFS because I was only going to use it for games. It said it formatted fine, and when I put it in my Wii, the HDD didn't show up. I might be doing something wrong though, of course

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well to be honest I didn't actually check anywhere to see. I plugged the HDD to my computer and tried to format it to WBFS because I was only going to use it for games. It said it formatted fine, and when I put it in my Wii, the HDD didn't show up. I might be doing something wrong though, of course
    So you did...My only guess is that the drive is not getting enough power. Is it a 3.5" HDD or 2.5"?
    If its a 3.5" you may need a different case that accepts wall power. Normally 2.5" drives are fine on USB power alone.

Also, it has to be in the USB slot closest to the edge.

Thanks

So you did...My only guess is that the drive is not getting enough power. Is it a 3.5" HDD or 2.5"?
    If its a 3.5" you may need a different case that accepts wall power. Normally 2.5" drives are fine on USB power alone.

Also, it has to be in the USB slot closest to the edge.
    I'm not totally sure which kind it is, it has both a usb plug in and a wall plug in. I had both of them plugged in the first time, but I'm not sure which usb slot I tried. About to try it again, once I plug back in my Wii.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm not totally sure which kind it is, it has both a usb plug in and a wall plug in. I had both of them plugged in the first time, but I'm not sure which usb slot I tried. About to try it again, once I plug back in my Wii.
    Well, a 3.5" drive is going to be a lot larger (physical size, not capacity).
    Then again, if the drive is old and slow, it may take time to show up while it defines a directory of files.

Thanks

Well, a 3.5" drive is going to be a lot larger (physical size, not capacity).
    Then again, if the drive is old and slow, it may take time to show up while it defines a directory of files.
    Oh great, I got another program to add WBFS files to my wii, and it's all working nicely now. Now I've got 900gb's extra space for games, muhaha

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Oh great, I got another program to add WBFS files to my wii, and it's all working nicely now. Now I've got 900gb's extra space for games, muhaha
    Wow, I have a 500GB and its very empty. Probably 400GBs are going to waste after two years.
    Glad you got it working.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Beaten Rihanna View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can do all 3 filesystems now, but FAT will limit you as far as filesize. Large games will have to be split. I use WBFS because I can shrink them, instead of just copying over an ISO...I usually save 1 -2 GB's per game that way. And no splitting.

EDIT: I also first tried an external drive that was not compatible.
    I just left my drive NTFS, so I can use it as a normal drive in addition to my Wii's drive. Transferring games to the drive with Wii Backup Manager converts .isos to .wbfs files, and gives the space savings, without any need to convert drives.

Edit: Oh, and it's nice to have a big NTFS drive, so you can use CleanRip easily I don't think it's compatible with WBFS.
    Last edited by Ragnar; 18th-October-2012 at 04:43.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    I just left my drive NTFS, so I can use it as a normal drive in addition to my Wii's drive. Transferring games to the drive with Wii Backup Manager converts .isos to .wbfs files, and gives the space savings, without any need to convert drives.

Edit: Oh, and it's nice to have a big NTFS drive, so you can use CleanRip easily I don't think it's compatible with WBFS.
    Eh, I already formatted the drive so there's nothing on there anymore, so the more games I can fit on there the better It does kind of suck that I can't put like, all my emulator files on the hdd too, but I guess I can keep those on my SD card.

Unless there is a way that now that it's formatted to WBFS if I can format another part of the drive (say 100gb's of the drive) to fat format?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I have a 2TB drive for my Wii

I partitioned the drive to have 2xWBFS partitions and 1xFAT partition all my emulators and roms are in the FAT partition and 500 Wii games in each WBFS partitiion

apx 900GB per WBFS partition and what was left is the FAT partition

On the Wii both the WBFS partitions act as 1 you don't need to select between partitions all games from both partitions are shown

You can't have more than 500 Wii games per partition

I only use that HDD with the Wii besides it's jam packed full so wouldn't want to use it with anything else

You can partition the HDD at any point and reformat as much as you like

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Computer Managment\Storage\Disk Managment\

Format whatever you like (I'm sure you need to format in a PC format before re-formatting to WBFS, it's been a few years so I could be wrong) and use WBFS tools to format after if you want to use WBFS format
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-October-2012 at 11:52.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR