Thread: Restoring my wii to factory

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Restoring my wii to factory

Hello all,

I am in need of some advice. I never thought I'd have to do it, but I am going to sell my wii and need to get it back to factory before I do so. I forgot pretty much how the whole process and all that works, so if you guys have a guide laying around somewhere that I have failed to locate please direct me.

I can provide details of the system if need be. Pretty much. This puppy needs to be in the exact software condition that it came out of the box with. All help is appreciated.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Why not sell it as is? just remove any obvious hack channels including the homebrew channel

Have you got some special hacks that have altered the way it looks, including boot logo's, or any hacks ect asides from the homebrew channel that you can just delete and none would be any wiser

I forgot what it is called off the top of my head but one of the installers allows you to install custom cios's including official ones, though you do that at the risk of bricking and software like that would be the only way to tell if the machine was modified but to even run that, the homebrew channel would need to be there in the first place otherwise your Wii will look unmodified and installing the homebrew channel once removed would require modding from scratch just about, if you delete all the channels that are not official, that should be enough to sell it, personly I think it would be better ti sell it modded to someone that woiuld take advantage of it.

As downgrading is not an option, too much risk of bricking going backwards you are not going to be able to fully take it back to factory.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-October-2012 at 23:52.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

there was a nintendo Wii Format test disc from nintendo that was leaked, use that

also, if he wanted to sell it as "unmodded" then just deleteing the channels wont work since most of them block disc updates even if you format it

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Spicer View Post
    there was a nintendo Wii Format test disc from nintendo that was leaked, use that

also, if he wanted to sell it as "unmodded" then just deleteing the channels wont work since most of them block disc updates even if you format it
    That won't even boot on my modded wii

And you can turn the updates blocks off before removing the channels, it's not hard. Those setting are available any time to change (unless you remove the channels before doing that) those would still be there even if you could use the Wii Format test disc
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-October-2012 at 13:10.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Unless someone here is in need of a modded out wii. I was about to trade it into gamestop. That's why I need to restore it because they will fiddle with it.

--EDIT--

Well, I think your right in your regards to just straight up selling it zorlon. I know after I installed a few channels and cios's (not the custom screens or anything that your talking about) it won't currently play Wii-ware or VC games. If it did, I'd probably hang on to it a little longer to play some older games, but it needs to go right now because I just shelled out mad cash to repair my truck. Other than that, any clue as to my currently problem of it not playing wii-ware or VC games? The last thing I did was made the system boot games from an HD because I got tired of burning a ton of DVD's from my factory copies.
    Last edited by Ktiger41; 18th-October-2012 at 15:01. Reason: more info

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Booting Wii games from HDD is not the issue here all Wii-Ware and VC works fine on my end, official legally obtained ones and not so legally obtained ones alike

One of the cios mods has messed up by the sounds of it, not even sure I would know what one though

Are you talking about playing WiiWare and VC from SD or nand, SD playback was only introduced with later firmware versions early ones didn't have this but an update would fix that (do it the modder way not the official way) SD playback isn't great by the way it will most like lag with alot of games or did for me when I tryed

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

I am not running them from an SD. I am actually putting them on the wii's HD.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It's a nand chip rather than a HD but I'm not sure what the issue could be then unless you are missing some of the IOS's required by some games

IOS 53, 55, and 56 are used by Wiiware

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/DOP-Mii can be used to install those

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    It's a nand chip rather than a HD but I'm not sure what the issue could be then unless you are missing some of the IOS's required by some games

IOS 53, 55, and 56 are used by Wiiware

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/DOP-Mii can be used to install those
    All I need to do is find this program and I should be ok or do I need to hunt down the individual IOS's too?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

the link has the prog linked in it and if I remember correctly it downloads the IOS's for you

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]