Thread: So yeah, light guns (Dreamcast)

Thanks
    EP Points

Default So yeah, light guns (Dreamcast)

I recently purchased a Dreamcast at a state fair, and thanks to Zorlon I'm now rarin' to go as far as games are concerned. But as I was surfing ROMs to see what sounded good, I ran across House of the Dead.

And then I remembered I love light gun games. Eheheheh. Eh. Hem.

So yeah. I need a quality Dreamcast light gun. I've been searching around Amazon and eBay trying to find one, but they all get mediocre reviews at best and I'm not sure which is my best option. So I figured that if the answer was anywhere, it'd be here. So! Anyone care to tell me what brand/model of Sega Dreamcast light gun I should invest in?

Mega Man Legends 3 Fan Project!
    We're back, baby. I'd love if someone could help me read this.

Thanks
    EP Points

the best dreamcast light gun is the "third party/first party" one that sega liscensed off to madcats, however new tv's will not work with DC light guns PERIOD, i just sold all my light guns after getting a new tv

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

3. The Following User Says Thank You to luffy4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

im curious, could rail gun shooters on DC be played with just with the controller? or do they have to have the light gun?

Rewardsgaming.net

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
    im curious, could rail gun shooters on DC be played with just with the controller? or do they have to have the light gun?
    I can't say for sure that all of them will work, but I know House of the Dead works with a controller.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Spicer View Post
    the best dreamcast light gun is the "third party/first party" one that sega liscensed off to madcats, however new tv's will not work with DC light guns PERIOD, i just sold all my light guns after getting a new tv
    Seriously? I'd have to get an old ray-tube tv, huh? Damn...guess the arcade will always be the only place for me to get my HotD fix. Thanks anyway, though, at least you saved me from wasting my cash.

Mega Man Legends 3 Fan Project!
    We're back, baby. I'd love if someone could help me read this.

Thanks

You could see about emulating it and using a Wii remote as the light-gun

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Golgo 13 View Post
    I can't say for sure that all of them will work, but I know House of the Dead works with a controller.
    any rail game released in NTSC-U IS compatible with controller only usage

Quote Originally Posted by Takion Sun View Post
    Seriously? I'd have to get an old ray-tube tv, huh? Damn...guess the arcade will always be the only place for me to get my HotD fix. Thanks anyway, though, at least you saved me from wasting my cash.
    if you want to play HOTD 2,3 and Overkill WITH light gub features, then get a Wii cause they were released on it and the wiimote DO work on New tvs, if you want ONLY Overkill then buy a PS3 because Overkill was improved an rereleased for it

Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Dreamcast LightGuns specially the MadCats unofficial ones (The Official ones are region locked, not to the system but to the games, i.e. a JAP lightgun will only work with Jap games and a PAL lightgun will only work with PAL games, I found this out myself ages ago when my second lightgun was an official one, I got rid of it quick enough and went with a 2nd MadCats lightgun)

DC LightGuns do work on old VGA monitors though and the Dreamcast looks very sexy in VGA plus VGA is display region free, i.e. NTSC and PAL games both work just fine and at 60Hz 640x480, the beast was well ahead of it's time

See the Dreamcast VGA compatibility list for more info on VGA for the Dreamcast here

273 english games work in VGA 16 don't work in VGA mode, for region free and higher quality it's worth going for VGA, specially as alot of the working rips are PAL

Shame the PS3 Move sucks for lightgun games, prefure the Wii anytime

no lightguns don't work on Plasma, LCD or LED screens only the newer type guns do, that work from censors external to the actual screen rather than light so I tend not to even class those as lightguns
    Last edited by Zorlon; 14th-October-2012 at 09:13.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

i cant fin a cheap VGA adaptor anywhere!

Thanks

it'd have to be VGA CRT not flatscreen VGA monitor right?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Spicer View Post
    i cant fin a cheap VGA adaptor anywhere!
    Make one

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/dc-vga.htm
    http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/dreamcast-internal-vga-mod/

I admit I got one for not alot about £6 if I remember, a one by Blaze but not seen one since

I may do that myself at some point

Quote Originally Posted by GunSlinger Boy View Post
    it'd have to be VGA CRT not flatscreen VGA monitor right?
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
    There are no english lightgun games that require a lightgun to play, they can all be played with a standard controller, though why anyone would want that, I don't know

P.S. the US version of House of the dead 2 is the only lightgun game that can't be played with a lightgun from what I remember, something to do with guns in the US at the time, meh I wasn't that interested in the why I just know it has gun support removed from it (It's still a gun game even if you remove the use of a Dreamcast gun that looks nothing more than a toy gun silly US government or silly sega or both )

..... Now I kinda want all my Sega stuff on lol it's been a while since I had the Dreamcast and Saturn out, though because I played the Dreamcast to death I am more like to run the Saturn that still has a few games I have yet to start playing, some even follow on from some of the Megadrive games I love, though at the same time I have been looking at Dreamshell and see it was updated so could get some updated info on that from personal testing
    Last edited by Zorlon; 14th-October-2012 at 20:00.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

i just both an used japanese house of the dead 2 set with game and original sega DC lightgun in the box

unfortunatly, the game does not work on my NTSC DC and the lightgun do not work on american HotD2 game (it says on the first screen that is not compatible with north american games)..
    i was almost crying when i read somewhere that is not the console that blocks the gun, its the game!!!

so i burned a PAL version of HotD2 and now i can play it with NO problems!
    i strongly recommend buying the gun if youre a shooter game fan. im already buying a second gun to play with friends!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

american HotD2 is not light gun compatible at all

Do not buy official guns they are region locked, not to the system but to the games

unofficial light guns are great, region free work on VGA monitors (not LCD LED or Plasma just the good olde CRT VGA Monitors)

The 2 guns I have are by Blaze and work with all region games

EDIT: Oh I have already said all this here.... Anyway hope you have fun shooting your TV lol shame you didn't read this thread first
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-November-2012 at 16:17.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]