Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mame Question

Thanks

Default Mame Question

Hey guys I am using Mame and love it so far...I can run most games fine but some of the CPS1 CPS2 and CPS3 games do not work. Is it hit and miss? I downloaded the Waka something emulator for CPS games but it's buggy, doesn't scale right and doesn't register my Qanba arcade stick...Mame is flawless in that regard... Is there a way to just use Mame for all arcade emulation? Some of the CPS3 roms I downloaded are CD images, is that even going to run in MAME? As far as CPS2 some games work like Dungeons and Dragons, AVP, Strider 2 but others won't even register like Nemo... Any advice will help, thanks!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by vodoochild81 View Post
    Hey guys I am using Mame and love it so far...I can run most games fine but some of the CPS1 CPS2 and CPS3 games do not work. Is it hit and miss? I downloaded the Waka something emulator for CPS games but it's buggy, doesn't scale right and doesn't register my Qanba arcade stick...Mame is flawless in that regard... Is there a way to just use Mame for all arcade emulation? Some of the CPS3 roms I downloaded are CD images, is that even going to run in MAME? As far as CPS2 some games work like Dungeons and Dragons, AVP, Strider 2 but others won't even register like Nemo... Any advice will help, thanks!
    Every Cps 1/2/3 game run fines in mame. Maybe you are doing something wrong, so u are unable to play them.
    Also, the Cps3 Chd's (Cd image's) can be run in mame, you just have to download additional roms to play.

The password for my upload's is "caidsncer". If you love my uploads,then hit the "THANX" button.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EviLord Kefka View Post
    Every Cps 1/2/3 game run fines in mame. Maybe you are doing something wrong, so u are unable to play them.
    Also, the Cps3 Chd's (Cd image's) can be run in mame, you just have to download additional roms to play.
    What could I be doing wrong? I download the rom and the corresponding bios or parent rom and I put both in the rom folder. Just like I do with any other ones. Do they need to be named in a certain way? Which are the best sites to download the roms? And the Cps3 games I downloaded are in iso format, not CHD. What additional roms do I need on top of that? Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    EP Points

Type:
    mame <gamename>
    it run and reports missing roms. Or use:
    mame -verifyroms <gamename>
    it check the romset for "bad/unsupported" roms.

Or use some rom tool like ctrlmame!

Note: Mame use the CHD format for: HD, CD, DVD images. So, CPS3 games are in CHD or "bin" (old dump format).

Thanks
    EP Points

What could I be doing wrong? I download the rom and the corresponding bios or parent rom and I put both in the rom folder. Just like I do with any other ones. Do they need to be named in a certain way? Which are the best sites to download the roms? And the Cps3 games I downloaded are in iso format, not CHD. What additional roms do I need on top of that? Thanks in advance.
    Btw, on which version of mame are you playing?

The password for my upload's is "caidsncer". If you love my uploads,then hit the "THANX" button.

Thanks

Btw, on which version of mame are you playing?
    MameEuIFx32 0.132(jun 8 2009)

Thanks
    EP Points

MameEuIFx32 0.132(jun 8 2009)
    That's the main problem, buddy. You need to update your rom's for this release of mame, since for every release (not necessarily) the rom's get updated. i prefer to try, ClrMamepro to update your rom's back to the older release. Or i would prefer to try the recent one, 0.147.

Thanks

That's the main problem, buddy. You need to update your rom's for this release of mame, since for every release (not necessarily) the rom's get updated. i prefer to try, ClrMamepro to update your rom's back to the older release. Or i would prefer to try the recent one, 0.147.
    I don't understand. What do you mean update the Roms? If I use the latest release how do I update them to the current version?

Thanks

I don't understand. What do you mean update the Roms? If I use the latest release how do I update them to the current version?
    Some Roms are very old and have not been updated for sometime. They might not work with the newer versions of Mame. I believe that this is what Evil Lord Kefka was trying to say.
    Personally, I would suggest installing the newest version of mame, then install the newest versions of all of your roms. Start from scratch and see what happens with the newest versions of everything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AngelicMaiden View Post
    Some Roms are very old and have not been updated for sometime. They might not work with the newer versions of Mame. I believe that this is what Evil Lord Kefka was trying to say.
    Personally, I would suggest installing the newest version of mame, then install the newest versions of all of your roms. Start from scratch and see what happens with the newest versions of everything.
    Where do you get the newest version of the roms? I need to re download ALL my roms??? Does this CntrlMamePro program do the updating for you? I am using that program now and it is difficult to set up. I don't even know what I am supposed to be scanning for... Also it detected a problem with Nemo, and I said I clicked yes for it to rename or fix it but it said Error can not run winrar.exe check settings. I look in settings and there is really nothing for me to change. Any ideas?

Thanks

Well, I haven't personally used my own mame program in some time, but I usually try to find the ROMS with the latest updates to them. I've never used the CntrlMamePro myself but I would imagine that it's supposed to be scanning to make sure you have the latest updates to your rom (since, if you were to search yourself it would take forever.) The only reason I suggested to start from scratch is because that's what I usually do if I cannot get things to work. Typically I keep a backup .zip of all of my roms from in case I ever need to re-install them.
    Perhaps someone a bit more versed the use of the cntrlmamepro program can help you, such as Evil Lord Kefka when he comes back on.
    Otherwise, you may just have to use the ones that work for now and wait on the others until you can find a more updated version.
    I'm really sorry I can't help more

Thanks
    EP Points

Where do you get the newest version of the roms? I need to re download ALL my roms??? Does this CntrlMamePro program do the updating for you? I am using that program now and it is difficult to set up. I don't even know what I am supposed to be scanning for... Also it detected a problem with Nemo, and I said I clicked yes for it to rename or fix it but it said Error can not run winrar.exe check settings. I look in settings and there is really nothing for me to change. Any ideas?
    Open the Ctrlmame.ini search for Packer_Rar_Exe and add your WinRar path for example:
    Packer_Rar_Exe = "C:\Program Files\WinRAR\winrar.exe"

if you use 7Zip set: "Packer_7z_Exe" too...

-------

Your mame 0.132 is real old, you can try to fix/rebuild your romset with ctrlmame, but some romset was redumped and have new roms/clones. If you really love this emulator, try to get all the roms to lastest version and every 1-3 month check/upgrade your romset with the new build...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to WitchHunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WitchHunter View Post
    Open the Ctrlmame.ini search for Packer_Rar_Exe and add your WinRar path for example:
    Packer_Rar_Exe = "C:\Program Files\WinRAR\winrar.exe"

if you use 7Zip set: "Packer_7z_Exe" too...

-------

Your mame 0.132 is real old, you can try to fix/rebuild your romset with ctrlmame, but some romset was redumped and have new roms/clones. If you really love this emulator, try to get all the roms to lastest version and every 1-3 month check/upgrade your romset with the new build...
    Thanks. That all sounds very complex...What do you use for CPS1 CPS2 and CPS3 emulation? That seems to be the only issues...maybe I should just use a more specific one. Whats the best and latest? Thanks.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks. That all sounds very complex...What do you use for CPS1 CPS2 and CPS3 emulation? That seems to be the only issues...maybe I should just use a more specific one. Whats the best and latest? Thanks.
    I would still recommend the latest version of Mame which is 0.147. Just like WitchHunter said your version is damn too old. You will find some problems in that version when you play some games. In the latest version many improvements have been made to the romsets & the emulator itself. So stop using that aged old shit & move on.

Also Mame is the best for Cps 1/2/3 emulation so stick with it.

Thanks
    EP Points

I forgot:
    You can setup compressor within Ctrlmame.
    Open a dat file, click the "setting" button then the "compressor" button, select the RAR/7Z tab and insert the Exe's full path.

I don't know how "Big" is your Mame romset, you can waste weeks trying to update the romsets or use the faster way: rebuild all the romsets as "merged set" then use torrent7z and join the pleasuredome free leech torrent (only 24 gb); or keep them splitted as zip, use torrentzip and join the bigger torrent (43 gb).

Add 230 gb if you want CHDs...