Thread: A small issue with Mega CD games

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default A small issue with Mega CD games

Hello there, it's me again.
    I guess I'm going to be the one with most threads in this subforum, lol.

I'd like to ask just one question this time around: both SEGA CD tutorials use this tool called "SEGA Cue maker". When I try to run it (off the only source that seems to have it), I get this error: "Component COMDLG32.OCX or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid".

Could anyone tell me how to fix it please?
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Thanks
    EP Points

It seems to be a problem with Windows. I'm guessing your running Windows 7?

If so you can try this:

1.) Download Comdlg32.zip here

2.) Unzip the file

3.) Now if your running the 32Bit version of Windows place Comdlg32.ocx in C:\Windows\System32 folder
    If your running the 64Bit version then place Comdlg32.ocx in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder

4.) Click Start, Type Run then hit enter then under Run you'll type one of the following:
    If your using 32Bit: regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\Comdlg32.ocx
    If your using 64bit: regsvr32 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Comdlg32.ocx
    Last edited by Shelly Bean; 6th-October-2012 at 05:16.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to _Gambit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly Bean View Post
    3.) Now if your running the 32Bit version of Windows place Comdlg32.ocx in C:\Windows\System32 folder
    If your running the 64Bit version then place Comdlg32.ocx in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder

4.) Click Start, Type Run then hit enter then under Run you'll type one of the following:
    If your using 32Bit: regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\Comdlg32.ocx
    If your using 64bit: regsvr32 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Comdlg32.ocx
    Just thought I would note that you "should" be able to just stick the Comdlg32.ocx file in the same directory as the Sega Cue Maker executable; sticking it in System32/SysWOW64 just makes it available to any other apps that may require it.

In any case, in the event you aren't able to get your Sega Cue Maker to work, you could give a program called Liors Cue Maker a shot instead. Here's a link; http://www.warezfaq.com/fleas/Lior's_Cue_Maker_2.4.zip
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MaslowK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thank you very much to both of you!!
    I finally have some games running!

Just one more question, and I guess that'll be it

Are there any reliable conversion utilities or any sources other than this site for european ISOs?

Both would be the best, and the latter better than the former, but anything would be ok
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

POW POW!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Here's me again, bumping the thread in hope of getting an answer.
    I got around burning most images and some games work OK.

But the thing is, some don't.
    Silpheed doesn't even get to the title screen; same for Terminator. Sonic CD's intro doesn't run as smoothly as it should. It acts as if the console had hiccups :

I've been told to turn the potentiometer a bit, but I can't even find it...
    Besides, is it most likely to be a calibration problem or the lens being dirty? If it's the latter, would ethilic alcohol be useful to clean it?

I'd greatly appreciate any help
    Also known as Rockman

POW POW!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by The Almighty MegaMan View Post
    Are there any reliable conversion utilities or any sources other than this site for european ISOs?
    So you mean converting the region of the disc image from say, US to European? I was able to find a guide here on the forums detailing how to burn MegaCD games, includes a bit on converting the games to different regions;

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon
    Region Converting (For use with hardware, not needed for emulators)
    1. Extract SCDConv in the same folder as the ISO
    2. Rename ?????????.iso to iso.iso (only rename the part before .iso)
    3. Run Convert.bat and then press A for American (NTSC) or E for European (PAL)

Note:- Region Converting is not 100% proof
    You can find the SCDConv program he mentions here; http://www.epforums.org/attachment.p...4&d=1094729999

And finally, here's the post I took this information from; http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...ng-ISO-s-Guide
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

As my quote says there is no 100% way to convert region for CD games for the olde Mega CD/Sega CD games, Sega made that rather complicated unfortionatly and it's not as simple as it is with other systems

There are flash kits around that let you change the region of the Sega/Mega CD bios but these kits are far from cheap

P.S. I don't advise you use cue maker software at all (not when there are better more accurate ways to do this), but instead download pre made cues and edit them to fit what you have so you get the correct pre gaps and post gaps in the correct places ect

(converting mp3 to wav is going be out a lil aswell)

http://redump.org/discs/system/scd/ have most the cue sheets but they are missing some

A minor detail but running some Sega/Mega CD games at the wrong Hz will cause some of those games to crash or just go out of sync e.g. PAL games running at 60Hz and NTSC games running at 50Hz can make the games unplayable/bootable if you magic card can be used both ways round thats great though

You could always mod the Genesis though to have a 50/60Hz switch, if you have a multi regional TV, actually just done that with my PAL Saturn because a couple of the Jap and US games I wanted to play either didn't work or went well out of sync but now they work fine, like you I am only patching the boot region so they work with the swop/swap trick as I don't have a mod chip installed, yeah I know the SCD doesn't need a trick but the idea is much the same

http://www.retrocorner.net/index.php...witch_-_page_1
    http://www.retrocorner.net/index.php...witch_-_page_1

Sorry those are for the PAL megadrive if it doesn't make sense then I recomend you google for US genesis instructions, model 1's looks very easy to do
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-October-2012 at 20:12.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thanks for both posts (most of all considering their length ).
    I'm going to be doing a small update:

- Region converting doesn't seem to work on the games I want (Android Assault and Popful Mail), so I guess I'll stick with an emu for those. There are plenty of games for the Mega CD anyway.
    I just don't know why euro guys didn't get them.
    - After some tinkering, the Mega Key works - it does change the console's region and carts work ok, but the Mega CD doesn't want to work with it (displays an error).
    - I know of the 17% slowdown, but US games don't seem to run slower when I use the Mega Key, so BINGO!
    - I will keep the mod info at hand but I don't think I'll do it anytime soon.
    - I've done a quick fix on the unit. Doing 1/8 of a turn in one single bolt enabled Silpheed and Terminator to work perfectly!
    So you bet I'm happy

Thanks for the support!
    Also known as Rockman

POW POW!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Games that are ment to run at 50Hz running at 50Hz and games ment to run at 60Hz running at 60Hz, put side by side will never be any slower than the other

I'll not go into that fully but each run at a per second rate and on every second both versions 50Hz vs 60Hz will both have the exact same frame shown

Alot of cart games actually have 50Hz and 60Hz already coded into them (it's only the case they change) [Thats not all games mind and jap games only got 60Hz programed] so no you will not see slow downs in the slightest, if they didn't you would only notice something if the sync went out, but as most cart games don't have anything to go out of sync asides from music that most would find very hard to notice, there are realy not going to be issues there

Cart games you tend not to notice any issues running at the incorrect rate but CD games you may get sync issues or a game might not start fully, I know I added a 50/60Hz switch to my saturn for that reason, not to run things faster or anything, but to get the games to sync and enable me to boot more all of them

e.g. Castlevania X (the jap version of Symphony of the Night) would boot up fine and gets to the start menu but after the opening it got stuck on a loading screen in 50Hz (60Hz it works fine)
    Alberts Odyssey (NTSC only) would start just fine but the speech went very out of sync in 50Hz (60Hz fixed this issue)

P.S. the flash kit option boots up different CD bios images, thats how they work rather than changing Hz so the flash kit would let you boot any region CD game

Buying an xbox would be cheaper though and they have a very nice Sega/Mega CD emulator for them, if you felt inclined I'm sure you could even mod a Megadrive or Saturn pad to run on the xbox aswell

(Saturn pads are just about the same as 6 button (7 counting start/8 counting mode) Megadrive pads, ok a couple of extra trigger button)

P.P.S. I may have a look at the converting problem games for you thats if I get time to do so, actually falling back on a few other projects, P.S. do you get the same errors emulating Sega CD games that have had region patching done, I ask because I don't have the hardware to test on myself

It may be a 60Hz vs 50Hz issue but I can't see that if your hooked to a genesis, unfortionatly without the hardware myself I can't even tell if the Mega CD is forcing 50Hz PAL output or if your Genesis is outputting NTSC 60Hz for the Mega CD
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-October-2012 at 11:10.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

thanks

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Please do not revive older threads but if info has been helpful just hit the Thanks button on the lower left of who evers post you thought was of use

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]