Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modifying an ISO

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Paint is not used for hacking
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCitadel View Post
    No, I didn't mean asking if I can open the SLUS file or edit the text files using Paint.
    I mean does using such tools to modify the game text is as simple as using Paint to do this process?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    No you can't even open the file with paint just trying would of answered that

Sorry you can't just use Paint, it's not possible
    Sorry, this is bugging the hell out of me.

To clear this up, at this point in the thread, he was asking if, on a scale from 1/10, if using the tools necessary to do what he's trying to do could potentially be as simple to use as MSPaint, not repeatedly asking if MSPaint itself can be used to do what he wants to do with the game itself. Language barriers yo.

Now. To summarize/over-simplify what Zorlon said about translating text in games for the benefit of others;

Essentially, all of the text (as well as the audio) in a console game is going to be stored on the disk in a special format the console can read, meaning the data would need to be changed to a format your computer can read before you could change it, and then changed back and put into the game in a way that the console will read it without issues.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 4th-October-2012 at 09:51.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

[QUOTE=MaslowK;1590991]To clear this up, at this point in the thread, he was asking if, on a scale from 1/10, if using the tools necessary to do what he's trying to do could potentially be as simple to use as MSPaint, not repeatedly asking if MSPaint itself can be used to do what he wants to do with the game itself. Language barriers yo.

He got what I mean

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Out of interest how many charactors are there in arabic is it anything jap or chinese that just has far too many

if so you are better off looking at japanese or chinese games first, start off very small like a NES game with very little text to start with

it is the font that is a graphical image usually, so you change the font first then hex edit the text, a few NES games can be translated like that, most games now can't be but it is still a start

First thing to figure out is what hex = what charactor, best pull up some basic charts for ASCII and Shift-JIS (Both forms of text)

http://www.romhacking.net/?page=util...&utilsearch=Go

TileEd2002 is a good start and will let you edit the font and any text set in an image (like I said before not many games do have text in images though, a few might for the title screen)

Once you have the font edited you need to change some of hex code in the game, if you know what the hex value is for "hello" and part of the game text has "hello" in it then search for that hex value in the game and change it to whatever hello looks like in aribic by hex

I used WinHex in the past for that

The reason you can't jump into PSX or PS2 is mostly because of all the encryption they use and have developed since the age of NES that would first need to be cracked

EDIT script insert tools http://www.romhacking.net/?page=util...&utilsearch=Go

START SMALL, you have to teach yourself the basics first
    Last edited by Zorlon; 4th-October-2012 at 10:23.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

After mounting "Resident Evil 2.img" using PowerISO, got these folders inside the mounted disc.

Inside COMMON Folder:

Then inside COMMON> Sound Folder:

The Movies are in .STR type.

So can these be changed into a type PC can read, so I can modify them?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You want sony's official avi str tool, it can also handle sound xa files, not easy to find and I don't have it anymore

you also need to be able to rip the files correctly or the movie correctly, there are plenty of unofficial tools for that, don't use PowerISO with PSX images though it will only ruin the image file

for rebuilding a PSX CD you need to use the official Sony tools for Playstation CD's so it can create the str and xa headers correctly otherwise the FMV and sound will just not work

Again not easy to find and I don't have it anymore

for Resident Evil 2 ect i know for a fact that they have a strict LBA table and messing that up will result in the game not working, I know because I was the one that hacked Resident Evil Directors Cut and made it uncut and have tampered with Resident Evil 2 and 3 for the PSX, though nothing came of the later Resident Evil games that I messed on with

Like I said start simple, grab a tile editor, if you have problems installing or using I recomend you look at the official site
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-October-2012 at 09:37.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Nevermind I am not gonna use TeEdit 2012. I opened the site and couldn't understand how to use it also looked in the Help file couldn't understand as well.
    For example I opened Final Fantasy for NES and all I see in the Editor is orange-color boxes and some letters with some strange fuss which are not letters at all.

Forget it I am not gonna modify a NES rom unless someone can post a guide, step-by-step on how to use it explained with an example.
    If not, then I forget that and I am gonna use my original way I used to.

If it requires programming, then I already gave up learning game programming as I found it's incredibly difficult.
    I used to learn C# for about 1 week and ended up not understanding what classes and methods mean.

I also tried to use a stand-alone game engine such as Unity3D, but I also gave it up. Although it doesn't require you to be a C# Programmer, you may design a game if you even follow a guide on how to make a game using it, but the reason I gave it up that I found it nonsense if I made a game by just following the example and I don't understand what I am doing, so in the future when I make a unique game that has different actions, then I will never be able to code/script myself.

Now, I think I have nothing to do than to playing games. Playing games some times even is difficult.
    Last edited by BlackCitadel; 5th-October-2012 at 10:38.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thats a shame but yeah it is complicated and complicated to explain aswell

I have had some fun modding games but it's never that easy

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]