Thread: Copying discs to Xbox internal drive.

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Copying discs to Xbox internal drive.

Ok so I am trying to rip all of my original Xbox games to the HDD. I'm inserting the discs into the tray and copying them using the built in "Copy Game Disc" option in UnleashX. So far I've gotten two games successfully copied:

The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dawn of Destiny.

Now I'm trying some bigger games "Halo 2 and Star Wars Battlefront 2 so far..." and I'm getting this error as soon as I select the option:

An error occurred while copying "D". Error Code: 112

So my questions are: What is this "Error 112" and how much space does a stock original Xbox HDD have? Because I wouldn't think I've filled the HDD already.

Thanks

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

8 to 10 GB not alot realy

I replaced mine with a 120GB using Linux to do it, but there are easier methods now

The best way is still via FTP and using a downloaded ISO, to make sure the xbox can still read em correctly plus you get the advantage that some games need patching to work from HDD and most made for xbox ftping software includes auto patching when needed

I have done the same as you though with a few games I own, most copy just fine but I had problems with other though the discs play fine I could copy all the files from the original discs....
    Last edited by Zorlon; 29th-September-2012 at 00:14.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I just lol'd at my thread title "disks"

Ok. Crap. Thanks man. Ahh just found a list of compatible HDDs for XBox .
    Last edited by Shelly Bean; 29th-September-2012 at 02:57.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

could of been worse you might of put a c for one of the s's

I don't know if I could get a bigger HDD again, will have to look myself at some point, see if I can't get a large HDD for my xbox on the cheap

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    8 to 10 GB not alot realy

I replaced mine with a 120GB using Linux to do it, but there are easier methods now
    The most up to date guide I could find was on Youtube

I got a WD 80GB I just ripped out of one of the many desktops laying around and it's compatible

This looks like something that will take up an afternoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlF8U...=results_video

The best way is still via FTP and using a downloaded ISO, to make sure the xbox can still read em correctly plus you get the advantage that some games need patching to work from HDD and most made for xbox ftping software includes auto patching when needed

I have done the same as you though with a few games I own, most copy just fine but I had problems with other though the discs play fine I could copy all the files from the original discs....
    Yeah The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction I guess is one of those games that needs patching or it couldn't rip all files because it says it needs the original "disk" to play.

And if I don't feel like trying to swap the HDD I think I'm just gonna get me a crossover cable and rip the games one at a time to the XBox, transfer them to the PC, and burn them to discs for now. Not really easier but I least I know I can pull that off
    Last edited by Shelly Bean; 29th-September-2012 at 02:20.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly Bean View Post
    I got a WD 80GB I just ripped out of one of the many desktops laying around and it's compatible

And if I don't feel like trying to swap the HDD I think I'm just gonna get me a crossover cable and rip the games one at a time to the XBox, transfer them to the PC, and burn them to discs for now. Not really easier but I least I know I can pull that off

I've used WD800BB drives with no probs.
    In fact, I don't recall ever having any compatibility issues with any WD or even Seagate drives I've used in original Xbox consoles.

Although the only softmodded consoles I had were a long time ago.

Modchip is pretty easy to install (easiest modchip I've ever installed), and then HDD upgrades are really easy.
    Just swap the HDD's over and use an installer disc (slayers or whatever) to format/setup the hard drive.
    Plus if you really want to you can use a PC DVD-rom drive instead of the Xbox optical drive to copy backup discs to the HDD (originals won't work of course). I've always used dvd2xbox if I wasn't ftp'ing.
    This may also be possible on a softmod, but I think only some DVD drives are compatible and it may depend on the kernel version never really had to think about it myself.

Spoiler warning:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The most up to date guide I could find was on Youtube

This looks like something that will take up an afternoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlF8U...=results_video

Yeah The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction I guess is one of those games that needs patching or it couldn't rip all files because it says it needs the original "disk" to play.

If you have a router you do not need a crossover cable at all just normal cat5 will do the trick, just cat5 from xbox to router and connect via your PC either from wireless or any other way you have your PC connected to the same router

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

If you have a router you do not need a crossover cable at all just normal cat5 will do the trick, just cat5 from xbox to router and connect via your PC either from wireless or any other way you have your PC connected to the same router
    Yeah I don't have access to the router so I had to settle with the crossover cable. My local PC shop was closed when I got off work today and I didn't feel like waiting till Monday to get one so I decided to try Best Buy.

Bad idea . Last time I went there I was looking for a VGA to RCA/S-Video Scan Converter (I know lame right?). First I went up to some tweeny bopper and she ran off to ask someone else who had no idea what I was talking about. Then I go ask a big hot shot looking guy in a black button up shirt and slacks talking on a bluetooth earpiece and this pompous ass tried telling me they didn't exist! Needless to say I was infuriated.

So against my better judgement I went there today and the first lady has no idea what I'm talking about (again). Goes and asks a manager (Deja vu all over again) who then goes and asks a Geek Squad guy and then they come back and try telling me a regular cat5 cable will work and it's the same as a crossover cable. I say "No it won't and it's not the same". They say "Yes it is and it will". I then say "You guys are dumbasses" and leave pissed off again.

Funny thing is we had a shooting at this same Best Buy about a month ago. Now I see why! Anyways found one at Office Depot and everything's going smoothly. At least until I get a tower running so I can swap out the HDDs.
    Last edited by Shelly Bean; 30th-September-2012 at 03:06.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Cool glad you found one.... eventually.... muppets oviously have no idea

P.S. do you want me to fix the disks typo???

Floppy disks on an Xbox is an interesting concept lol
    Last edited by Zorlon; 30th-September-2012 at 12:35.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

P.S. do you want me to fix the disks typo???

Floppy disks on an Xbox is an interesting concept lol
    Someone beat ya to it

But yeah if you could change it that would be cool. After all this is done I might go ahead and type up/update some of the guides in the console modding section and post them here to help "beef up" the section.
    Last edited by Shelly Bean; 1st-October-2012 at 00:13.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah this section is kinda new and needs some content quickish to get the ball rolling I have been doing alot of work in the sony section myself

P.S. that lil mod looks kinda cool though I already have xbox to USB converters anyway though asides from hooking up keyboard and mouse there isn't much else I can think of that would be good, I did try external usb storage but this was a fail... may try another time

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

So I got yet another question (I know I'm a needy lil geek aint I?). Anyone try burning multiple games to one DVD+R DL disc? Itried using C-box tool 2.7 but only one of the three games would boot. Even tried use the File Manager and launching to the other two games default.xbe but still no luck.

The three games are.

Yugioh- Dawn of Destiny (1.60GB)
    Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (2.28GB)
    Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (3.67GB)- This is the only one that would boot from the multigame disc.

I'm thinking it's something to do with C-box tool, the DVD+R DL discs or the way I'm burning them.

Anyone here ever try burning multiple games on a disc using a different method with success?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

DVD9-/+R discs are a pain some systems/drives hate em others love em, it's hit or miss to be honest you are lucky it read it at all

It is very possible the xbox can only read one layer correctly, while it can see that there is more on the second layer it may not be able to read it correctly

I have used the multi disc thing, though on standard DVD5+R's and it works great from what I tested

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

So I got yet another question (I know I'm a needy lil geek aint I?). Anyone try burning multiple games to one DVD+R DL disc? Itried using C-box tool 2.7 but only one of the three games would boot. Even tried use the File Manager and launching to the other two games default.xbe but still no luck.

The three games are.

Yugioh- Dawn of Destiny (1.60GB)
    Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (2.28GB)
    Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (3.67GB)- This is the only one that would boot from the multigame disc.

I'm thinking it's something to do with C-box tool, the DVD+R DL discs or the way I'm burning them.

Anyone here ever try burning multiple games on a disc using a different method with success?
    An Xbox with the Hitachi-LG DVD-rom (GDR-8050L) will take DVD+R DL.
    I've used Ritek and Verbatim with no probs.

Although I've never bothered with multi game discs.

And yeah, I seem to recall some of the other drives have issues with different media.

Spoiler warning: