Thread: Playstation laser dead

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Playstation laser dead

I've been thinking and wanted to know from experts or someone with experience in modding a ps can I take the laser assembly from my psone 101 [motherboard sorta smelted in house fire] and put it in my ps 70001?
    In the cursed year 1943, Crawley returned.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

PSone laser in PStwo nope you can't do that, for one the Psone laser is CD only

all PSX/PSone laser units are interchangable though (the PSone ribbbon is shorter but feeding it an alt way and it fits)

PS2 slim models use the same laser unit but the bulky one is different but all bulky PS2's use the same unit as other bulky models

It would be less pain staken to just buy a PS2

If you just put too many 0's in there then yes the drive unit should work in the both PSX models

PS2 70001 PSX 7001 PSone to PSX is harder because of the ribbon (but feed it through the laser case a lil differently and it will fit) PSX to PSone is as easy as it gets, remove the ribbon from the main board and hook it to the new one

Be carefull with the ribbon clip though they break easy (PSX/PSone ribbon clips are not as bad as the PS2 ones though for breaking)

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries

When I said 70001 I ment the psx 7001 not the ps2 70001. Thanks with that it will save me a week looking for a new console or web searching for a laser.
    Last edited by soratron; 28th-September-2012 at 10:48.
    In the cursed year 1943, Crawley returned.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

still too many 0's it's a 7001 not a 70001 but that is nit picking, I don't care as long as I know what you are talking about and yeah it's very doable

PSone 101 to PSX 7001 is hardish though just because the ribbon is a lil short on the PSone laser unit (but it can be put through the light gray plastic case of the laser unit a different way and it should fit tight on the olde PSX 7001 series)

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post: