Thread: A couple of quick questions regarding the Megadrive and Mega CD

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default A couple of quick questions regarding the Megadrive and Mega CD

SSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEGGGGG GGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

Hi guys, missed me? Here I am, with questions that are likely to have simple answers, as usual.

Over the last two and a half years I've become a collector.
    In other threads you might have heard me complain about things being too expensive here, etc.
    Also you might know of my huge SEGA obsession - moreso with BLAST PROCESSING.

What's the relationship between all of the above?
    Well, today I saw a Megadrive + Mega CD with all the wires, controllers and stuff for a bit over 80 U$S.
    Given a common US SEGA CD alone here is being sold for $175 as minimal price tag, getting both an original console AND the add-on for that much was a no brainer and I decided to buy it in a heartbeat.

I know it will run in color on my TV (and if it doesn't, I have a workaround for that) but the thing that concerns me is the speed.
    Alright, story time over, here are the questions.

1) Could the MCD work if I attach it to my US Genesis?
    2) Using a Mega Key would allow me to run the games at 60Hz or run US SCD games on Euro hardware?

Silly, I know, but I just don't know!
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Not sure I would be willing to risk that, unfortionatly I can't answer that one

The Sega MegaDrive/Genesis didn't use alot of lock out methods, but some carts are very much locked out and even using an Action Replay Pro/Gameshark Pro that allowed import carts will not let all carts work

The Sega CD/Mega CD also has lockouts infact more than the carts, though some games you can get aorund that others will not work no mater what you do including Magic Key

Hardware mix n match is the parts I wouldn't know about and a lil too expensive to gamble that with, hense why I just emulated the system via my Xbox, the only ones it will fail on are the 32x-CD games and I think a few of the light gun games don't work correctly, but then again I don't have a light gun that would even work on todays TV's for the xbox

You could try and google for an answer to that though for the hardware mix n match, but the bios for the Sega/Mega CD is seperate to the MegaDrive/Genesis aswell though as is the 32X bios, that I imagine is region free with the exception that US and EU hardware actually have different Cart slot molds (this would make me worry that the CD expantion may not even slot in correctly)

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Hi. Really new here but I think I can help answer your question regarding the hardware mix and match of a Mega CD to Genesis (god I hate that name). It *can* work but the time it will take you to frankenstein all the of parts together would be much too time consuming, imho, to make it worth your dollar. It will not work simply by attaching the Genesis itself to a Japanese MegaCD. I know this because I have tried.
    Zorlon is correct on the Carts. It's kind of a mixed bag. I personally own Sonic 2 and 3, Batman, and Strider in the Japanese versions and they play fine on my Genesis. I've heard some carts do not, but I haven't run into this issue as of yet.
    I hope I was able to help a bit and not just simply repeat what the mod above said.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AngelicMaiden For This Useful Post:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by AngelicMaiden View Post
    Hi. Really new here but I think I can help answer your question regarding the hardware mix and match of a Mega CD to Genesis (god I hate that name). It *can* work but the time it will take you to frankenstein all the of parts together would be much too time consuming, imho, to make it worth your dollar. It will not work simply by attaching the Genesis itself to a Japanese MegaCD. I know this because I have tried.
    Zorlon is correct on the Carts. It's kind of a mixed bag. I personally own Sonic 2 and 3, Batman, and Strider in the Japanese versions and they play fine on my Genesis. I've heard some carts do not, but I haven't run into this issue as of yet.
    I hope I was able to help a bit and not just simply repeat what the mod above said.
    Thank you for your insite and welcome to Emuparadise

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by AngelicMaiden View Post
    Thank you.
    Please be welcome to Emuparadise! I wish more newbies would be like you
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Almighty MegaMan View Post
    Thank you.
    Please be welcome to Emuparadise! I wish more newbies would be like you
    Aw, it's not problem! I'm quite sure not all newbies are that bad, right? lol
    Anyhow, just to elaborate a bit, you *can* mix and match some consoles & add-ons. I've gotten a Famicom disc system to work by wiring it to a top-loading NES (US version). It's just in this case it's so much more to do to get it to work it isn't worth the trouble.