Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About to attempt original Xbox soft mod

Thanks
    EP Points

Default About to attempt original Xbox soft mod

Not sure if I posted in the right section

Ok so I just purchased a soft mod kit from Sprung, (Thanks again man) and am a about to attempt to soft mod my first Xbox.

I found this guide here and it seems to be the same guide Sprung used to mod his Xbox. So I'm assuming that the files listed in that guide are the ones Sprung has already preloaded on to the AR memory card.

It all seems easy enough to follow but I was just wanting to get a little more info before I started.

Mainly I was just wondering if the Softmod.Installer.Deluxe.v2.0.Xbox-Hq exploit and this guide are the most up to date and best exploit/guide to use.

And if so then if there is any tips, info, suggestions that are not covered in the guide that anyone would think useful for a first timer then I would appreciate the info. I've soft modded plenty of different consoles using multiple methods as the scenes progressed without error (WIIs, PSPs, PS3s mainly..). I'm pretty confident but I'm always still pretty apprehensive when it comes to any soft mod, even if I've done it a bunch of times. So if ya got some experience with this I'd appreciate your input/support.

Thanks

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by A_User View Post
    Not sure if I posted in the right section

Ok so I just purchased a soft mod kit from Sprung, (Thanks again man) and am a about to attempt to soft mod my first Xbox.

I found this guide here and it seems to be the same guide Sprung used to mod his Xbox. So I'm assuming that the files listed in that guide are the ones Sprung has already preloaded on to the AR memory card.

It all seems easy enough to follow but I was just wanting to get a little more info before I started.

Mainly I was just wondering if the Softmod.Installer.Deluxe.v2.0.Xbox-Hq exploit and this guide are the most up to date and best exploit/guide to use.

And if so then if there is any tips, info, suggestions that are not covered in the guide that anyone would think useful for a first timer then I would appreciate the info. I've soft modded plenty of different consoles using multiple methods as the scenes progressed without error (WIIs, PSPs, PS3s mainly..). I'm pretty confident but I'm always still pretty apprehensive when it comes to any soft mod, even if I've done it a bunch of times. So if ya got some experience with this I'd appreciate your input/support.

Thanks
    Nope, that thread needs updating. SID 5.01 is the newest as of today.
    To be honest, the softmod is incredibly simple and mostly automated. Just make sure you do all of the backing up it asks for, otherwise it will not let you advance. You will be promoted to do these anyhow, so you really cant miss them.

The more difficult part will be when you start putting games on the HDD. You can rip them yourself or transfer them via FTP. The most difficult part about FTPing is that you will need an Ethernet cable and patience.

I can help you out with that later. For now:

Softmod Installer Deluxe v5.01.zip

Thanks
    EP Points

For some reason I can't access the AR memory card. I inserted AR PC Data Disc and installed ActionReplay Xbox as Administrator but when I plugged in the AR memory card into the USB adapter it said the driver software installation was unsuccessful. My Device Manager shows it as a Unknown Device and is unable to locate any driver software online or otherwise.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I can't be certain what your install copied to your disc, but you might actually have the file required. Try this out:
    http://us.codejunkies.com/support/ar...article_id=207

If you can't find the driver on your PC, I can try to help google for it.

Thanks
    EP Points

Tried the "add new hardware " but Windows doesn't pick up the device as new hardware for some reason. Just says "Searching" forever.

Tried "Update Driver Software" in the Device Manager and pointed it to C:/Program Files x86/Datel/Action Replay/Drivers but am unable to select a file only the folder and it still can't find the software.

I might try uninstalling and re installing the software that came on the disc and see if I missed something when I installed it the first time. Also is it possible it's giving me problems because I'm running Windows 7 64 bit? I remember back when Vista came out and I was into the PSP scene there was talk of people having trouble installing unsigned drivers for homebrew like the PSP Type B drivers.

Edit: Yup that's the problem . My guess is (total noob shot in the dark) it's because Windows 7 64 bit doesn't allow installation of unsigned drivers or something like that since the driver I'm trying to install (Maxdrive XBox a.k.a. xbreader.inf) is not signed.- http://us.codejunkies.com/support/ar...article_id=200

Damn I wonder if there is a way around this

Maybe Sprung by chance already has SID 5.01 on the MC......

Edit 2: I want to try disabling driver signature enforcement and see if that works but I'm not sure if it's safe to install the drivers afterward because it would make Windows unstable or if it will even help at all.

Also in this thread on the Windows 7 forums a guy with almost the same problem as me (only difference is he's trying to use a thumb drive instead of the AR MC) says something about installing Windows 2000 on a virtual machine but he crashed his PC doing it and I've never done such a thing so I don't think I would fare any better if I attempted to do so .
    Last edited by Shelly Bean; 16th-September-2012 at 06:06.

Thanks
    EP Points

Firstly: YAY forums back to normal!

Secondly: Please forgive this blantant double post guys. Just wanted to bump the thead because of the circumstances.

Ok so I managed to find someone with a Windows XP PC that I'm currently on right now and just needing to make sure I got everything done right because I won't have a chance to use this PC again and redo this if by some chance I messed up.

So I was able to install the software and drivers ok and I can acess the AR MC. So all I need to do is copy the SID5.Installer.rar and SID5.Loader.007AUF (Since I'm using 007 Agent Under Fire) to the MC? Do I need to unpack them or should I leave them in .rar format? And is there anything else I'll need to do that can't be done on my Windows 7 pc?

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

Unzip.

Here's a PDF tut that takes you through the necessary steps.
    Attached Files Attached Files

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jackhammer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My account aint working though

I will let you guess who I am

Anyway l recomend you look at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

I already tested it myself on my end using Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 Running Virtual PC and Windows XP

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nolroz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by included PDF
    To copy the game save over to your device, these programs support the drag and drop feature just like Windows. So, open your desired program and then drag and drop the .zip or .gsx file to the memory card. In about half a minute or so it should be done.
    I suggest reading through the first few steps two or three times to make sure you don't miss anything tiny like that. you meant zip, right? cause I didn't give you any RAR's.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazzmarazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
    Unzip.

Here's a PDF tut that takes you through the necessary steps.
    Thanks Jack

@ Zorlon-

Yeah I used the program before I left that tests if your PC is able to run a virtual PC and it said mine is unable to support it. Lame.

@Jazzmarazz- I have zip files associated with winrar on my PC at home and I just assumed they were .rar

I had just put the 2 files I mentioned earlier on a thumb drive to take with me here and forgot the PDF manual. I was being rushed atm. And the PC I'm using has known file extensions hidden so I couldn't tell exactly what they were.

Thanks for all your help guys. I'm gonna go ahead and put the files on the MC but I have to unplug this fat Wireless USB modem to use the second USB port. If I have any problems I'll be back in a few with more noobie questions

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by A_User View Post
    Thanks for all your help guys. I'm gonna go ahead and put the files on the MC but I have to unplug this fat Wireless USB modem to use the second USB port.
    This is quite the power-house PC your borrowing.
    Good luck with it.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    This is quite the power-house PC your borrowing.
    Good luck with it.
    You should see this thing . It's a little mini HP Compaq nc2400 laptop that's the slowest thing ever. Probably crapload of malware and what not. And the internet is T-Mobile Broadband. The USB ports are side by side and the Broadband modem blocks the second port when plugged in. Took like 5min to download that PDF manual Jack posted.

Last edited by Shelly Bean; 16th-September-2012 at 19:55.

Thanks

A USB Hub (with atleast a small amount of cable) a cheapo one from pound land or whatever cheapo shops you have yourself

this will help you even a single USB extention cable would be helpfull

This would be so you can use both ports at once

Or just use the Compaq as a door stop

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Nolroz View Post
    A USB Hub (with atleast a small amount of cable) a cheapo one from pound land or whatever cheapo shops you have yourself

this will help you even a single USB extention cable would be helpfull

This would be so you can use both ports at once

Or just use the Compaq as a door stop
    And I happen to have both. Sitting in my laptop bag at my house

If this was my laptop I'd probably would of used it for skeet shooting by now

Ok so I know you guys said to unzip the files but it wouldn't let me put the UDATA folders in SID5.Loader.007AUF.zip and SID5.Installer.zip on the MC.

But it let me put the zip files SID5.Loader.007AUF.zip and SID5.Installer.zip onto it so I'm assuming you guys were thinking I hadn't already unziped the package Jazz uploaded that contained the SID5.Loader.007AUF.zip and ID5.Installer.zip files .

Edit: Never mind. Only Jack said unzip. Just saw what Jazz had highlighted what I had read in the manual. My bad guys.

So I'm guessing all is good then? Just need to go home pop the MC into my controller and follow the rest of the steps in the guide?
    Last edited by Shelly Bean; 16th-September-2012 at 20:37.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I said not to unzip them. I quote the guide which said to put the zip files on the card.
    You should be good now.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazzmarazz For This Useful Post: