Thread: Grandia PS1 PAL to NTSC US save conversion.

Thanks

Post Grandia PS1 PAL to NTSC US save conversion.

I was doing another playthrough of the 50hz slow-mo tastic PAL Grandia on my ps3 using the PAL disks when I ended up getting a Vita.
    Since the PS1 classic support has hit the vita I have bought a few PS1 games off of PSN using an american account.
    One of the games I bought was the 60hz US Grandia.

As the save files are region locked my EU saves could not be read by the US game, so I transfered the .PSV file from my ps3 to my PC. Extracted the save file using MemCardRex and then tried to convert the save file using PsxMemTool which corrupted the save file each time.
    After a while I tried using PSXGameEdit which when the Grandia Pal Save file is in it merely says "This save has no conversion info".

If anyone could help that would be lovely!

If anyone wants to have a check if you know how and see if its a grandia based issue have a blast.
    Here's the links to the file in .psv and .mcs

MCS - http://www.mediafire.com/?q615d5d4udho6gx
    PSV - http://www.mediafire.com/?epasnsjaj0dpoa4

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I will let you convert it yourself but I will tell you how to

P.S. you will not notice a difference between 50Hz and 60Hz both games run at the same speed but the 60z NTSC one has more frames per second but both games in every second show the exact same thing and one does not lag behind the other, try counting them lol

in PSXGameEDIT you can still convert the region of your save

All you need is the correct P.CODE for the US version of the game, you can do that by creating a save for the US version first and open that save with PSXGameEdit it will show the P.Code on the right under the game save icon

Now open the EU save
    Click Set Format on the top drop down menu and click on Set American
    (You are told you need to also change the P.Code)
    Change that P.Code to the one that you got from your US save
    Save and your done

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thanks very much! Shall try that in a second!
    I didn't know if grandia was famously a git or something as the save icons are very different and I didn't know if the save type was too.
    Ahh ok, I assumed the PAL conversion was dire like most PS1 games, saying that I was comparing it to my play of the Japanese Saturn version which was rather lovely.
    Last edited by Cyph; 13th-September-2012 at 18:29.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

let me know if you have any problems and P.S. the PSXGameEdit proggy does also have an icon editor aswell, if you have no luck though you could upload a US and EU save and I could have a look I have done lots converts in the past though I will be a little rusty as it has been some years since I done those

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I remember changing the P-code in a few of my older failed attempts.
    Using PSXGameEdit i just changed the P-code and it still won't let me change the save region.
    PSXMemTool lets me change the region and P-code but to no success the file is corrupted.
    At the moment I'm testing things using an Emulator as recompiling the files to be a .psv requires a friend's help as he has a PSP unless a better way has been found?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cyph View Post
    I remember changing the P-code in a few of my older failed attempts.
    Using PSXGameEdit i just changed the P-code and it still won't let me change the save region.
    PSXMemTool lets me change the region and P-code but to no success the file is corrupted.
    At the moment I'm testing things using an Emulator as recompiling the files to be a .psv requires a friend's help as he has a PSP unless a better way has been found?
    Done it for you..

My PSXGameEdit lets me do just that

See and extract attached

I am currently downloading CD 1 just to test the sucker
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Zorlon; 13th-September-2012 at 19:47.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

How strange, is yours also v1.60?
    My PSXGameEdit flat out refuses to change the region of the save even after changing the P-code.
    Thank you very much for your help. I may have to pop back and pick your brain about the process so I need not bother people again.

Out of curiosity other than the crazy method I currently use that needs a hacked PSP to digitally sign the file, or the FTP file editing softwear for the PS3 is there a more sane way to Create .psv files that the PS3 can read as ps1 save files?

Thankyou very much by the way! I shall test this now.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah it's 1.60, I just know how to use it

just hitting the US flag will never work as that looks for pre done scripts to convert to do it manually you need to use the top menu "Set Format" to do this manually

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Ahh bad news however, the file is corrupted.
    Grandia reads it as Save File Damaged, the same problem as I had been having.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I will have a quick look myself after CD1 has downloaded I may be able to enable the animated icon the US version uses

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Could the different Icon data actually be the cause?
    I've tried about 6 different conversion tutorials some which had me go into the hex data, some which had me do what you described but each time either something has gone wrong or I've messed up haha.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

US = Animated
    EU = Not Animated

I know for a fact you can convert the US save to an EU save and it will still work I have done that a few years back (for another user here as it happens) but converting from EU to US seems to have problems so yes seems to be the answer

I may well fail aswell but I won't know until I try

Still going corrupt for the US version... the big problem is that changing the still icon to animated actually changes the structure of the save and if you do that manually with hex editing you corrupt the save file completly
    Last edited by Zorlon; 13th-September-2012 at 21:30.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Ah thanks, its quite a relief that it isn't just me having issues haha.
    Also if i have any success I'll update this thread to say how.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Cool, I have to say this is the first fail I have had at converting regions of PSX mamcard saves

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]