Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best FPS?

Thanks

My favorite story based FPS is Metroid Prime on the GCN, hands down!
    First off, the setting was beautiful and varied. You had this lonesome atmosphere always pressing down on you, hard, in a good way though. The Metroid lore was so deeply explored and opened up by Retro Studios by taking the scan visor from Super Metroid and allowing it to tell large stories with little text. It made a simple shriekbat come to life with details on its living habits and other creature specific info. All of this was backed up by great gameplay and an engaging although simple story.

As for competitive FPS on the 360 I still love playing Halo Reach online in a team with my two brothers. Now if the thread will let me cheat on the question I actually prefer Gears 3 to Reach, but that's obviously 3rd person.

On PC I'd say Team Fortress 2, though I play Tribes Ascend a lot as well, and again if I could cheat I prefer Super Monday Night Combat to both of those. I prefer third person in general

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Monofthedead For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've invested at least 600 hours into TF2 because of the people that I continue to play with but if I were to say the best FPS right now it'd probably have to be ARMA 2 for its intense gameplay. Though I don't play it myself I've watched a couple hour long ops. They're insane.

Thanks

STALKER... it was my first true FPS and some of the most fun I've ever had in any game... EVER.

Thanks

Quake for pc , I also enjoyed area 51 on the ps2.

Let your cosmo burn bright!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by martianOnil999 View Post
    Time splitters 2 for sure !
    Oh damn, I'd completely forgotten about that series. Especially with the huge variety of multiplayer modes, Timesplitters 2/3 was damned awesome back in the day, and still holds up well compared to newer FPS's.

Now they just need to make a current-gen one ;/
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't think any particular FPS can be considered the best but I do remember my first one, Battlefield 2142.

Thanks

It might not be the BEST FPS but, BioShock is pretty damn good. I think it is a modern day classic.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cdoublejj For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I didn't really get blown away by it but the opening was great, the way the lighthouse just sticks out in the middle of the ocean was so creepy. I thought it would have been fun to have more 'adventure' than combat, but I got a happy ending so it's a good game in my books

One of the level designers for Bioshock made a Doom level called Arcadia Demade http://vectorpoem.com/news/?p=68

Then he wrote a small essay on game design and the differences between modern FPS mechanics and old http://vectorpoem.com/news/?p=74.

Thanks
    EP Points

I've never been much of fan of fps games, though I have had good experiences from time to time. I don't like many of the run and gun games, I stick to storytelling and rpg fps games. I've played the heck out of Fallout 3 and New vegas(as well as most recently Oblivion), though I haven't beaten any of the three(too busy with the rest of the game and the mods). I really like Bioshock 1 and 2. I like the Metroid Prime games as well. And I've had a blast with Borderlands. I've also dabbled a bit in Half-life and liked it so far. I have enjoyed Halo before, though really only the first one. I also had fun playing Deus Ex Human Revolution. I don't play multiplayer, so I can really only judge a game by it's single player experience. Storytelling and rpg fps games seem to have much better single player modes than fps games built upon their multiplayer modes. I was not impressed with Call of Duty 4. As for the best, there isn't one. Everything is subjective, though I do feel that the best to differentiate between single player and multiplayer. Single player games don't have the benefit of friends. Even a poor game can draw many hours of fun. Why else would people spend so long playing crappy facebook games if not for the social aspect. Granted, a good multiplayer game would be noticably better than a poor one. But still the advantage can skew results. For myself I would say probably either Fallout 3, NV, or Oblivion for best single player. And for multiplayer Borderlands (haven't played the second one yet). My reasoning, the sky is the limit. Beyond the many side quests, there are many places to explore. And then there are many mods and the tools to create your own mods. I'm not too skilled at modding, but I found I really enjoy messing with the game, learning what does what. And for my multiplayer choice. Similar reasons. Many quests, a lot of places to explore. And a bit of randomness in the gun drops. Seriously, who needs teabagging, when you have this many guns to choose from?

Three more days until Party time!

Thanks

BioShock had very poor writing IMHO, i might compare it to a cheesy anime where they pull content out of their asses.

"I've got you now!"

"Ah-ha so you think but, secretly un be known to any I have have had secret super power this whole time that i have been conveniently saving for this very moment!"

They really stretch the limits of the universe making stuff up towards the end that it really stood out and kind of ruined it for me. It is okay at best while BioShock 1 is good.

Thanks
    EP Points

Sure it may have been a bit cheesy. Still I wouldn't call it poor writing. The cheesiness to me, made it more than just another horror atmosphere. It was a perfect balance of dark and light to me. The dark was there to remind you that the world you were in was messed up, and frankly beyond repair. Rapture was destined to go down that path when Andrew became what he was fighting, and society stopped defending life, liberty, and property. Andrew was supposed to be an objectivist, yet he became just another authoritarian without a care for the nonagression axiom/principle. And Sofia Lamb highlighted everything wrong with collectivism, how it can sometimes sacrifice the whole for the whole. She claimed to love everybody equally, yet in the end proved that she was extremely cold hearted. And as much I wanted her to die in the game, I wanted nothing more to prove her wrong. That Delta was more human than she ever would be. Delta may have been programmed before to treat Eleanor as a daughter, but now he was acting on free will, and proving parental bond much stronger than Sofia's blood justified parental bond.

And the light in the series was showing that for all the sickness in Rapture, that even the darkest night is followed a dawn. In the series you might see a man gain the family he never knew he lacked, and saw a young girl gain her independence through the actions of a former slave. I also like the fact that even in the chaos, you still have the choice to do the right thing. Being evil may get you more Adam, but striving to make the right choices have their perks in terms of gameplay, as well as seeing the good endings. As I said before, I wanted Sofia to die, but felt that given enough time, she might learn from her mistakes, and if not, at least I got the chance to prove her wrong. If she never changed her heart, then she would live the rest of her life knowing her entire philosophy was debunked in one day.

Three more days until Party time!

Thanks

I honestly don't know, I will say this though, I. Hate. Military. Shooters. What's with this infatuation with war? Why people it's boring and it's like all of those 70s and 80s war films... they never change. I would say Halo is high up there, but I really like Half Life, and TF2.
    REPENT! FOR I AM THE END OF TIMES!

Thanks

After playing a couple of fps, I am kinda tired of the straight military shooter types now. I do find the mixing of elements much more entertaining be it sci-fi, rpg elements, or just a good story instead of the "Find the bomb before it explodes" or "Rescue the hostage" scenarios. I actually did play most of the Cod 4 and after campaigns and the Battlefield 3 campaigns. The story was just whatever but I feel those games focused on the multiplayer more.

For singleplayer I do enjoy Fallout 3/New Vegas, STALKER Shadows of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat. What makes these games even more fun is that sometimes I find a nice mod and I end up replaying from the start of a new character. So far I'm messing with a Swartz mod for Call of Pripyat and I love it.

For multiplayer my current favorite so far is Borderlands. It feels unique I guess. Singleplayer solo felt too easy (Playthrough 1 at least) but 3 or 4 friends make the game quite challenging. No more kamikaze rushing.

Otherwise I really liked Cod2 for some reason. It's my favorite WW2 game.

I can honestly say though that when I play an fps game, the first thing in my mind is collecting ALL the guns and stashing it somewhere; or at least shoot every gun. At first glance I don't really care on the gun stats, until way later where choice does matter to match your skill.

Username: SoySauce (or similar) Name: Kenshii

Thanks
    EP Points

Anyone played any of the ghost recon games? I haven't played any in years but I think it was the first fps I remember playing. I'm too much of a coward at games like that but I think it's because I hardly play it. I was a little out of it when playing online fps games but after a few months, I got it down. Feels good going 30-0 sometimes

I liked playing rainbow vegas on psp though. Might have to get that again

Thanks

Anyone played any of the ghost recon games? I haven't played any in years but I think it was the first fps I remember playing. I'm too much of a coward at games like that but I think it's because I hardly play it. I was a little out of it when playing online fps games but after a few months, I got it down. Feels good going 30-0 sometimes

I liked playing rainbow vegas on psp though. Might have to get that again
    I've played a few of them. The old ones were pretty good on PC, but they sucked on consoles because they were so watered down. The last few games though aren't FPS anymore, they've gone completely to 3rd person. Those R6 games were pretty sweet though, I love the 1st and 3rd person (behind cover) merging!