Thread: pokemon white battle menu issue

Thanks
    EP Points

Default pokemon white battle menu issue

I should start off by saying that i'm using no$gba 2.6a and no$zoomer 2.3.0.2. It seems like about once every 10 fights or so that when i enter a battle the "fight" option of the battle menu isn't there and i cant do anything at all(even though the music is playing and everything looks normal) I can kind of work around the problem by saving frequently, but is there some other solution to it like an action replay code or a patched rom maybe?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin329 View Post
    is there some other solution to it
    Yeh, Desmume.

Thanks
    EP Points

yeah i have tried that, but i can't run the game any higher then about 54 fps even with tweaking and max frameskipping. Well that is 54 in battle, outside of battle it bounces around greatly from area to area, but is never at 60 unless there is a very small amount of things being rendered. Most out of battle areas are 40fps or even less.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin329 View Post
    yeah i have tried that, but i can't run the game any higher then about 54 fps even with tweaking and max frameskipping. Well that is 54 in battle, outside of battle it bounces around greatly from area to area, but is never at 60 unless there is a very small amount of things being rendered. Most out of battle areas are 40fps or even less.
    What version of Desmume? Also, are you using soft resterizer or opengl?

You can try frame skipping. But the gameplay will not look smooth.
    Depend on what renderer you use, I suggest you to always use SoftRasterizer and not OpenGL.
    Another suggestion is, go to your sound settings, and go to interpolation choose None (Fastest, sounds bad).
    And this is another great tweak, go to your emulation settings, in the general, deselect the "Enable Advanced Bus-Level Timing" option. This will improve your emulation speed a lot.
    Don't use any Bios cause Bios can make your emulator slower.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm using Desmume 0.9.8 nosse2 from www.desmume.org. Using the normal 0.9.8 build from their downloads results in about 1-2 less fps most of the time. Heck the 54 fps i mentioned in battle above is actually only the absolute highest it reaches, the average in battle is about 50-52.(48-50 if set to soft resterizer) OpenGL is the renderer i have set.(soft resterizer gets 2-4 less fps on the average compared to opengl) As for frameskipping, the numbers i listed are with it set to 9 with the framelimit disabled, and with minimize skipping not checked. Sound is already set to none for interpolation(turning the sound off entirely is another idea but it only results in a 1 fps average boost) Bus level timing was already disabled. As for bios, none was set. I think its simply my computers cpu choking trying to run desmume, as its only a pentium 4 with hyperthreading. Though i do hope to replace this old computer sometime in the next half year or less.

EDIT
    Just finished trying desmume 0.9.9 SVN 4395 from emucr (with the same configuration settings) it gets 37-40 fps during battles, making things far worse.
    Last edited by rmcin329; 9th-September-2012 at 18:52.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm a bit surprised when you said that OpenGL run faster than Soft Resterizer. However, if you're not satisfied with Desmume fps, maybe you should go back with the NO$GBA 2.6a.
    I've done some research and I found out that the problem is due to the rom itself. And yes, I would suggest you to try a better patched rom. If you haven't downloaded it yet, this is the link. Hopefully that one will do the trick.
    Just for your information, the last time when I played Pokemon White rom in NO$GBA 2.6, I don't have any problems at all. So, big possibility that it could be your rom.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Muscab For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

hmmn the rom i'm currently using is from here http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...on-White-ENG-*. I'll try grabbing the one from the link you posted though. Should i port my save file over or start fresh?

EDIT
    I tried renaming my save file to match the newly downloaded rom, it seems to have ported over without any errors. So far i've managed to complete 25+ fights without the "fight" option magically vanishing. Thank you very much for the help. Now the only issue remaining is shadows are glitchy looking and the pokemon center(inside) walls get a bit glitchy looking as well. This is easily fixed by switching the 3d renderer to opengl however. Switching it causes minor fps flucuation (anywhere from 56-60 roughly) but no visible choppyness or lag so it works out well. If it does start to get choppy, then i can always just switch it back and live with those slight graphical glitches .

If only my pokemon soulsilver problem could be solved this easily..... Quite honestly i'm more interested in playing it then this game right now, but since its constantly crashing on save ever since i've gotten the 3rd badge, there isnt really much i can do. It suffers similar fps problems in desmume to this game.
    Last edited by rmcin329; 10th-September-2012 at 10:29.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm glad that I managed to help you out. Also, I prefer 3d Renderer in NO$GBA and Resterizer in Desmume as they're the original graphics for Nintendo DS. So, if you're into originality, choose them.

About your Soul Silver problem, I'm 110% sure that there is a way to overcome the crash problem. If you want me to help, you can describe the problem in more detail.

Thanks
    EP Points

already done here http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...-get-3rd-badge. If you need more then what i've provided there ask away in that thread and i'll provide what info i can.