Thread: So, uh, Yeah. I am going to try my hand at making some SNES Repro Carts. Need some hints tips etc

Thanks

Exclamation So, uh, Yeah. I am going to try my hand at making some SNES Repro Carts. Need some hints tips etc

So, the title says most of it. I am almost set up, i am planning on using the Japanese version Cartridges (donor boards at first of course not to destroy the originals) So labels are not an issue, and even less of an issue since i have a Super Famicom . but yeah i need to know what EPROM Programmers work with Windows 7 64-bit Since i do not have an XP box sittin around anymore let alone anything with a serial port. I would really like to get started on this within a couple of weeks. I am not afraid of Soldering since I did it every day my Junior Year of HS and alot even after graduating. If anyone out there has done a lot of this please all input is appreciated, my goal is to make large quantities eventually and sell em on Ebay as REPRO CARTS only. i have no wish to make Repros of Released games (unless for my own personal use only like Harvest moon hehehe).

Thanks

so, 94 views but NO responses really guys? i know some of you have to have an idea of what to do.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm sorry, I don't know how to do that. I can look for donor games for you. Do you have a preference of games, or will any game work?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfwood428 View Post
    so, 94 views but NO responses really guys? i know some of you have to have an idea of what to do.
    The problem is that no one knows what you're talking about. "Repros?":
    The only reason my thread got attention was becuase everyone knows me and wanted to support my interest.

Willem is the way most people go becuase of the affordability, but there is very little instruction on the use of them. Everything I know was from trial and error. As discussed before, the $100 programmer will easily work on your Windows 7 machine but is going to cost more and might be limiting on compatible chips.

Thanks

lol, thanks again XD guess all these guys are just interested in playing on Emu's instead of on the original Hardware...

Thanks
    EP Points

Hey Wolfwood, you won't get much help if you're gonna be a sarcastic jerk. Take it down a notch, and you might get somewhere. It also helps to show some effort on your own part, like telling people what steps you've taken to prepare for your project, and what part you're stuck on. Help us to help you, man.

That being said, I personally don't know a great deal about making repro carts, but I do know this:

1. It's pains-taking, and time-intensive... definitely not for the faint-of-heart.

2. If you're only just starting, and you have a choice of system, I wouldn't begin with the SNES. A NES cart is less complex, and there are detailed tutorials on the web for making NES repro carts. For instance:

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Even though the link above is for making a NES repro, there's still some good general info on how to build a repro cart, including a tools/supplies list.

Jazz knows his stuff, listen to him. If you had done your research prior to posting, you'd know he was giving you a good tip on that Willem IC/EPROM programmer... best features for the least money. If that one doesn't work for you, search the web for "Windows 7 EPROM programmer".

Best of luck.
    *If my post was helpful, click the star in the lower left corner of it to say "Thanks".
    *My username will unlock my uploads, if a password is needed.
    *Games, Guitars, or Girls... choose any two.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rockstar1983 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

didn't mean to come off as sarcastic, sorry all. i tend to come off a bit abrasive at times. plus kinda hard for me to transfer my kidding tone into text ya know? XD. but thanks for the NES link i had a couple of NES carts i wanted to make as well. i will prolly start off with the NES, but from what i understand the biggest feat is usually Soldering the pins/Jumpers to the boards, as i said i do have a LOT of time Soldering, like everyday for a year and then every now and then.but honestly any input is great. and i have been scowering Google non stop ever since i discovered the whole Reproduction game scene, but unfortunately a lot of those sites are either Dead, or the users are no longer active.

Thanks

Hey I don't have any advice for you as I know nothing about it but I am interested in what your doing, is there any reason you'd prefer doing this rather than just emulating?

Peace.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I also don't have any advice, but depending on how far you getting into making repros, if you start doing popular games of any kind, make sure they are labelled as reproductions on the carts/labels themselves, very clearly, in large bold lettering of some kind. Somewhere it cannot be removed. Not just on games you are selling -- on any game that you make, period, even if you keep it for yourself. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by DylanD View Post
    Hey I don't have any advice for you as I know nothing about it but I am interested in what your doing, is there any reason you'd prefer doing this rather than just emulating?

Peace.
    It's a fun hobby, and nothing beats playing games on the original hardware.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DylanD View Post

Peace.
    As Drageuth said, nothing beats the real equipment. and if i can keep buying the Japanese Carts for at least $20 cheaper i will and just make Repro's with English ROM data on it. Also to Dragueth, Yeah i am working on a way to make it obviously a Repro with out it having a GIANT "REPRODUCTION" across the front label was thinking of doing a watermark or just make a rear label that says Reproduction Made by, and then put my name/ username or whatever.

Thanks
    EP Points

didn't mean to come off as sarcastic, sorry all. i tend to come off a bit abrasive at times. plus kinda hard for me to transfer my kidding tone into text ya know?
    No worries. I have the same problem sometimes.

from what i understand the biggest feat is usually Soldering the pins/Jumpers to the boards, as i said i do have a LOT of time Soldering, like everyday for a year and then every now and then.but honestly any input is great. and i have been scowering Google non stop ever since i discovered the whole Reproduction game scene, but unfortunately a lot of those sites are either Dead, or the users are no longer active.
    Soldering the ROM chip onto a PC board can be a daunting task, fo' realz. A couple tips for soldering chips (Hey, that rhymes! ) or any PC board work, really.

1. Use a low wattage iron (between 25 and 40 watts) with a small tip for precision work.

2. Never leave a hot tip on a pin long enough for the heat to travel up to the chip itself. Heat will screw stuff up (that's my "G-Rated" explanation. )

3. Beware the BLOB!! No, seriously, look out for solder blobs (usually caused by carrying too much solder on the tip of your iron). If a blob bridges two connections that aren't supposed to be bridged, your game probably won't work, or will work sporadically. If you don't already have them, get yourself a "De-Soldering Braid" and a "solder sucker" (Vacuum De-Soldering Tool). They help to fix any mistakes you might un-intentionally make.

I'm sure you already knew some of this stuff, but good advice bears repeating.
    *If my post was helpful, click the star in the lower left corner of it to say "Thanks".
    *My username will unlock my uploads, if a password is needed.
    *Games, Guitars, or Girls... choose any two.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rockstar1983 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar1983 View Post
    I'm sure you already knew some of this stuff, but good advice bears repeating.
    Oh, yeah my teacher ALWAYS drilled that into our heads each and every day XD, had a job for a bit assembling Boards right out of high school. hmm.... i should really look into doing that again