Thread: Which psp model should I get for emulation?

Thanks

Default Which psp model should I get for emulation?

Hey everyone, sorry to bug you but I'm wondering something. I'm thinking of getting a psp, I know the vita is out but honestly I don't case about it, I want the psp because it's nice and cheap now used and I can run custom firmware on it and make it a portable emulator (plus some psp games I really would like to play). My main question is though, which version should I get for this reason? I was thinking 1000, since it's the oldest and has the least resistance to hacking, however I'm not sure if there are any drawbacks compared to newer models, like crap battery or durability, or if getting a newer model would lock me out of some types of hacks that I may want to have. Also, I also want to know if I get a used one off amazon or ebay if I'll need to get a separate memory stick or if typically it comes with one. Thanks to anyone who can help me .

Thanks
    EP Points

Me personally, I use an early PSP 2000. If it's not one of those weird motherboards, it hacks just like a 1000 if you do it right. Plus, from model 2000 and up, the ram is double that of a 1000. I don't really like to mess with 3000's though (my opinion). You might want to buy at least a 4, 8, or 16 gig memstick depending on how many games you want to carry at a time. Also, from personal experience, if you buy an extra battery (recommended) A 1000 battery works wonderfully on a 2000 provided you get the cover that fits the 1000 battery on the 2000. the only bad thing about the 2000 is that the screen is more likely to crack if you drop it, compared to a 1000 where usually only the analog stick messes up from drop to drop. The 1000 is pretty fortified compared to the rest.
    on ebay, if you can find a deal that includes a memstick, it would be good. I'm not too sure how amazon does things.

I hope I helped.
    If I did, PM me if you would like more info
    Last edited by ZuNinja; 23rd-August-2012 at 09:21.
    As every thread of gold is valuable, so is every moment of time.

Thanks

I went and bought a 3000 for OFW, but I would recommend this. If you just want to play older games, and are perhaps a bit rougher on your handhelds, go for the 1000. It is more durable than the other models. I won't dare speak of the Go at all, but I have both a 2000 and a 3000.
    3000 is nice for actual P.S.N. titles that I have purchased, but 2000s are pretty cheap compared to 3ks and 1ks now, since 1ks are increasing in value.

Thanks
    EP Points

Now that PRO CFW is out, there really is no difference between the different models of PSP when you are hacking/exploiting them (yes, you can technically exploit a pre-"TA-88V3" mobo further, but people have found ways around that and now implement them automatically); it is very, very easy to hack all of them.

So the only differences that matter are which ports the model has, the presence/absence of Wi-Fi connectivity, and (in my opinion the only really important one) the amount of RAM...but even the amount of RAM is not as important as it used to be.

Just have a look at This, and see which one has everything you want (everything but the E-1000 has WiFi).

BIG EDIT:
    Also, I would recommend not getting a Memory Stick, get something like This, it allows you to use two MicroSD cards (much cheaper than a MemStick).

Minor Edit:
    I do agree with ZuNinja about the durability of the 1000. If you have a tendency to drop your gear (which I do ), then you might want to consider getting a 1000 over some the newer models.
    Last edited by Alakazander; 23rd-August-2012 at 20:04.
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:
    Operating Systems: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Mint 15 (partition on main drive), Windows XP Profesional x64 (on separate drive)
    Mainboard: MSi 890 FXA-GD65
    Processor (CPU): AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, 3.3 GHz
    Graphics Card (GPU): HIS HD 6870 IceQ X TurboX 1GB GDDR5
    RAM: 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 594MHz (9-9-9-24)

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)
    6.39 PRO-C2 Custom Firmware
    PhotoFast CR-5400 MicroSD to MS Pro Duo Adapter Dual Slot
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC
    SanDisk Ultra class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alakazander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Hey Alakazander, Thanks for posting! I didn't know something like that existed for micro sd cards! Can you at all give me more info on how it would work on a psp?

Edit: Never mind, I found out on my own. Thanks for posting, now I'll have a lot of memory on my PSP
    Last edited by ZuNinja; 23rd-August-2012 at 23:21.
    As every thread of gold is valuable, so is every moment of time.

Thanks
    EP Points

It should also be noted that they've sort of semi-recently discovered how to sign homebrew applications, meaning you don't actually "need" custom firmware if all you're trying to do is run homebrew (including emulators). Here's a link to a list of signed emulators in case anyone is interested; http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=8386

Also if anyone does happen to use this list and finds broken links on the more popular consoles let me know so I can find a different list to start posting/create my own if necessary.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

Shoot, I made this thread, fell asleep, and I forgot about it. Thanks a lot for all your advice, I'm leaning towards a 1000 or 2000 but let it be known that I'm careful with technology, having built pcs and owned gameboys but somehow I like the idea of it being more...sturdy. However, I am worried about less ram in the 1000, how much does that matter for most emulators? Would a 2000 be better for, say, gameboy advance or using the built in ps1 emulation? Also, thanks a lot for bringing up stuff I would never have thought of, like that PhotoFast CR-5400 (and for such a great deal to!) and the other links, I've only peeped into PSP emulation before this so the advice as appreciated.

P.S. I don't currently have Wifi access, but might in the future.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Searyan View Post
    However, I am worried about less ram in the 1000, how much does that matter for most emulators? Would a 2000 be better for, say, gameboy advance or using the built in ps1 emulation?
    IIRC support for the extra ram in the 2000/3000 was something that had to be built into a specific build of the particular homebrew app (i.e., they don't pick up on the extra ram on their own), and none of the popular emulators ran any better on the 2000/3000 vs the 1000. POPS (the bit that lets you do PS1 on your PSP) is also unaffected by it.

Off the top of my head the only homebrew apps I can remember using the extra ram for better performance were a few "high memory mod" versions of apps, including the now defunct psptube and an extension of sorts for the PSPs web browser.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 25th-August-2012 at 02:28.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

Cool, it looks like I'll get the 1000, and with that ram unlock hack that might be coming soon it looks like the missing ram won't mater much either. Thanks everyone, now I know what to spend my money on .