Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding PS1 original titles

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Question regarding PS1 original titles

Hi guys.
    For a long time I had a thorn on my gaming soul. As I was poor when I was little and my parents disliked videogames it was a little more than a miracle for me to get a PS1.
    The only way I could play Spyro 3 was to pirate it.

Many of you may share the same story - the game had strong anti piracy measures, and was on Earthbound standards of cruelty.
    Yes, it deleted your saves on the very last boss battle.

So, around 8 or 9 years later, I found a real copy of the game, and I bought it.
    I put it in the console and less than 10 seconds after the boot...

...I was greeted with this: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/831/spyro33.jpg/

I wanted to tear my hairs out one by one. As a matter of fact, I still do. The same thing happened on my PS2.

This leads me to ask you three questions.
    1) Is there any way to circumvent this without physically modifying the console?
    2) Is there any way to patch an ISO and play a copy on real hardware?
    3) Does this bullshit happen with every original game or just this one?
    If it's the former I may spend the next 3 days learning how to curse in chinese because I've bought other 4 original PS1 games.

Help EP
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by The Almighty MegaMan View Post
    Hi guys.
    For a long time I had a thorn on my gaming soul. As I was poor when I was little and my parents disliked videogames it was a little more than a miracle for me to get a PS1.
    The only way I could play Spyro 3 was to pirate it.

Many of you may share the same story - the game had strong anti piracy measures, and was on Earthbound standards of cruelty.

So, around 8 or 9 years later, I found a real copy of the game, and I bought it.
    I put it in the console and less than 10 seconds after the boot...

...I was greeted with this: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/831/spyro33.jpg/

I wanted to tear my hairs out one by one. As a matter of fact, I still do. The same thing happened on my PS2.

This leads me to ask you three questions.
    1) Is there any way to circumvent this without physically modifying the console?
    2) Is there any way to patch an ISO and play a copy on real hardware?
    3) Does this bullshit happen with every original game or just this one?
    If it's the former I may spend the next 3 days learning how to curse in chinese because I've bought other 4 original PS1 games.

Help EP
    I know it's pretty obvious, but the game in question has detected that the console(s) you're trying to play it on are modified.
    Have you tried it on a unmodified console?

I've got a modified SCPH-9002 [PAL] & an SCPH-102 [PAL] that seem to be able to play any backups I've tried in them (although I can't remember playing this specific game).

However, I do have an old SCPH-1000 [JPN] with a very old modchip that has encountered issues with some games.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    I know it's pretty obvious, but the game in question has detected that the console(s) you're trying to play it on are modified.
    Have you tried it on a unmodified console?

I've got a modified SCPH-9002 [PAL] & an SCPH-102 [PAL] that seem to be able to play any backups I've tried in them (although I can't remember playing this specific game).

However, I do have an old SCPH-1000 [JPN] with a very old modchip that has encountered issues with some games.
    Erm... no, I only own one console of each. Mine is a slim model, purchased as late as 2003.
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

POW POW!

Thanks
    EP Points

Erm... no, I only own one console of each. Mine is a slim model, purchased as late as 2003.
    The modded SCPH-102 I mentioned is a slim.
    Honestly, you can get these consoles for free....or if you don't know of any for free: virtually nothing at a pawn shop (or whatever).
    The only one I have that isn't modded is a spare SCPH-102...all the others are chipped.

Also: it's not a good idea to play PSX games on a PS2 (especially if you have a PSX console).
    It just wears out the laser more quickly

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't have any advice to offer but this reminds me, of when I had one of the PS1 Spyros (year of the dragon I think?) converted to a PSP eboot and at some point one of the characters in game warned me of the perils of piracy so weird.

So the game you're talking about would work perfectly fine on a modded console until the end of the game, and then delete your save without warning? That's beyond fucked up man
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Look for an ISO thats moddified to remove the anti piracy or buy a cheap PS1 thats unmodded there cheap as dirt in most countries

A Little looking around there is a Spyro 3 ISO about cracked by "Paradox" that is supposed to bypass all the anti piracy crap but has a cracktro

Also how the protection is flagging it is this

The modchip inside your console when a disc starts up sends the code to the Drive buffer "SCEA" for USA which is part of something done into the disc itself that CD Burners cannot replicate.

Your modchip however floods the buffer constantly (1st gen modchip) and spams the buffer with "SCEA" when the console should only see that once the disc is started up. the software can see that the buffer is liek "SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA" and then kills the software. later stealth chips inteligently sends it only once then goes to sleep there by mimicking the true PS1 method of reading the protection.

Original chip users had to get cracked versions or remod there system with a stealth chip

(Over the top info about an old school consoles protection - Achivement Unlocked!)
    Last edited by Kouen Hasuki; 7th-August-2012 at 09:28.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kouen Hasuki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Hahaha I remember being told about piracy in Spyro 3, sat there all "WTF?"

My current modded PS1 has a stealth modchip. We had one in the late 90s which had an old school chip with no stealth, Medievil had some form of copy protection, no? I remember that not working past a few levels on our console... As well as the fact the laser was on its way out or didn't like el-cheapo CD-Rs that people were using back then. Hardly anything read on the console unless it was put on its side.
    Last edited by Inferno.; 7th-August-2012 at 09:43.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    I don't have any advice to offer but this reminds me, of when I had one of the PS1 Spyros (year of the dragon I think?) converted to a PSP eboot and at some point one of the characters in game warned me of the perils of piracy so weird.

So the game you're talking about would work perfectly fine on a modded console until the end of the game, and then delete your save without warning? That's beyond fucked up man
    Not exactly. Let me tell you/warn you about your Eboot.
    Spyro 3 will seldom recognize it's pirated. The game requires you to progress by acquiring eggs laying in levels, and clearing said stages.
    As you advance, the game will delete eggs you DID get at random (but it seems to prefer deleting those of levels with special characters like Sheila).
    This bans you from unlocking areas later.
    When you arrive at the 4th overworld, if you somehow get to unlock the last battle, and you enter, the game will overwrite your save with an empty one and put you exactly on the room where Zoe (the fairy) bitches at you for playing an unlicensed copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kouen View Post
    Look for an ISO thats moddified to remove the anti piracy or buy a cheap PS1 thats unmodded there cheap as dirt in most countries

A Little looking around there is a Spyro 3 ISO about cracked by "Paradox" that is supposed to bypass all the anti piracy crap but has a cracktro

Also how the protection is flagging it is this

The modchip inside your console when a disc starts up sends the code to the Drive buffer "SCEA" for USA which is part of something done into the disc itself that CD Burners cannot replicate.

Your modchip however floods the buffer constantly (1st gen modchip) and spams the buffer with "SCEA" when the console should only see that once the disc is started up. the software can see that the buffer is liek "SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA SCEA" and then kills the software. later stealth chips inteligently sends it only once then goes to sleep there by mimicking the true PS1 method of reading the protection.

Original chip users had to get cracked versions or remod there system with a stealth chip
    (Over the top info about an old school consoles protection - Achivement Unlocked!)
    BUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNNN IT WITH FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
    Dear God I hate that cractro. The game does know it's pirated, and that crack, if it's supposed to disable the antipiracy features, doesn't do SHIT.
    It's on every ISO I've ever managed to get my hands on... and none I've tried seems to work.

As for the info, much appreciated. I mean, seriously! I like knowing this sort of stuff, and the more detail, the better.

It really strikes me as odd that the chip is old... I got my console back in 2003, from a major storehouse, even... brand new

May I bother you kind gentlemen to point me in the way of a working patched verion? ^^''

EDIT: The thing that worries me most ATM is whether this will happen with every original game or not (yes, I'm pretty dumb). I get that the chip sends the "SCEA code" all the time. I don't quite get why does that shut down the console when it's working with an original game, though.
    If it does then I think I'm going to sell some games I got not too long ago.
    Last edited by The Almighty MegaMan; 8th-August-2012 at 01:57.
    Also known as Rockman

POW POW!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to The Almighty MegaMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Not exactly. Let me tell you/warn you about your Eboot.
    Spyro 3 will seldom recognize it's pirated. The game requires you to progress by acquiring eggs laying in levels, and clearing said stages.
    As you advance, the game will delete eggs you DID get at random (but it seems to prefer deleting those of levels with special characters like Sheila).
    This bans you from unlocking areas later.
    When you arrive at the 4th overworld, if you somehow get to unlock the last battle, and you enter, the game will overwrite your save with an empty one and put you exactly on the room where Zoe (the fairy) bitches at you for playing an unlicensed copy.
    Ah, I see. Still interesting nonetheless, before this whole deal with spyro games I had never seen or had even heard of games that were programmed to detect being run illegitimately, and then behave differently as a result. Someone should totally make a list of said games.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

>use epsxe
    >use save states
    >???
    >PROFIT!

Does this solve your problem?

Edit: Also thanks for the warning, I planned to play this game at some point. I'll keep an eye on this thread.
    Last edited by gezegond; 8th-August-2012 at 05:52.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Huh, I always owned every Spyro game legitly so I never guessed it was a bitch to play if you didn't. It works perfectly on the PSP if converted for those able to do it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gezegond View Post
    >use epsxe
    >use save states
    >???
    >PROFIT!

Does this solve your problem?

Edit: Also thanks for the warning, I planned to play this game at some point. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

You're welcome.
    Also NOPE.avi. For two reasons
    1)I've kept my PS1 working for years and I'm a huge fan of playing the games in real hardware whenever possible (to the point that I didn't feel interested in playing CVoTN until I found an ISO I could burn and play on the console).
    2) The game still complains IIRC. I started a campaign like a year ago and gave up on it because Zoe kept saying LOL BRB GETTING MY STRAP-ON SO I CAN RAPE YOUR SAVES. PROBLEM?
    Also known as Rockman

POW POW!

Thanks
    EP Points

You're welcome.
    Also NOPE.avi. For two reasons
    1)I've kept my PS1 working for years and I'm a huge fan of playing the games in real hardware whenever possible (to the point that I didn't feel interested in playing CVoTN until I found an ISO I could burn and play on the console).
    2) The game still complains IIRC. I started a campaign like a year ago and gave up on it because Zoe kept saying LOL BRB GETTING MY STRAP-ON SO I CAN RAPE YOUR SAVES. PROBLEM?
    Yeah, I prefer to use real hardware...and also hardmods.

I thought you said you bought a retail copy of Spyro 3?
    If you're getting piracy messages on your console then your console has an old modchip.
    This has been explained to you in this thread.

Go get a virgin untouched console and it will work on that.
    That way you'll have 1 console for backups, and 1 for anything retail.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Go get a virgin untouched console and it will work on that.
    I think he said he can't afford another console.

Anyways, as this thread was relevant to my interests, I searched around the net and found this article, in which the developer is talking about how he implemented the anti-piracy measures. Somewhere in the article it says that the group who finally made a working patch was paradox. (He even talks about how they made the patch) so the paradox patch should work.

I found the said crack here (NTSC, PAL) Read the .nfo in which the paradox group apologizes about the previous patch and says this one doesn't have the egg-deleting issue.

So do give it a try and report results.

EDIT: I also found out that creating an image using clonecd and mounting it with daemon tools will let you play the game on epsxe, so there's that option too...
    Last edited by gezegond; 9th-August-2012 at 09:25.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

18. The Following User Says Thank You to gezegond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gezegond View Post
    I think he said he can't afford another console.
    He said he's been buying original PSX games though
    Spyro 3.........
    Most of the PSX consoles I have I got for nothing.
    But even if he had to buy one (and he'd only need the console as he has the hookups already. Ok, maybe a power cord if he gets a grey) it should only cost like $10 at the most from a secondhand shop. Even Cash Converters sell them at that price.

I just think that now he has worked out his chipped console has an old modchip that may not always play every game, he should consider getting an untouched console for such games.
    He said he prefers using hardware